Description THE CITY OF WESTMINSTER NOW OFFERS A $10,000, ONE-TIME SIGNING BONUS FOR QUALIFIED LATERAL POLICE OFFICERS TO JOIN OUR TEAM. THIS BONUS WILL BE PAID OUT AT $5,000 UPON HIRE AND $5,000 UPON COMPLETION OF PROBATION.
TO QUALIFY FOR THIS SIGNING BONUS, CANDIDATES MUST
A 3.5% SALARY INCREASE IS SCHEDULED FOR JULY 1, 2018; AND
- Possess a Basic POST Certificate
- Have served a minimum of 12 months in a sworn position within a California law enforcement agency
- Currently serve, or have served within the previous 12 months, as a sworn police officer within a California law enforcement agency
- Have completed probation at their current or most recent agency
A 3.0% SALARY INCREASE IS SCHEDULED FOR JULY 1, 2019
A Police Officer involves crime response and investigation, traffic enforcement, crime prevention and public safety. Examples of Duties
Investigates criminal activities and incidents; coordinates crime scene investigations; collects and preserves physical evidence; evaluates case facts; issues verbal warning and written citations for parking or moving violations; investigates traffic accidents; directs and controls the flow of traffic; patrols assigned district; investigates and initiates correction of public safety hazards; restores order; protects life and property; maintains peace at public gatherings and in conflict situations; provides emergency aid and assistance to incapacitated persons; participates in a secretive and continuous watch of person or persons; participates in the planning and execution of raids and searches; enforces laws and ordinances and encourages public compliance; pursues and apprehends suspects; prepares and presents case evidence in court; performs other related duties as required. Typical Qualifications Knowledge of:
City, state and federal laws, statutes, ordinances, court decisions and their interpretations; Police department policies, practices and procedures; criminal investigation, law enforcement and crime prevention principles; supervisory principles; human behavior theories; specialized social services; court and trial procedures and etiquette; methods of self-defense and physical restraint; police weapons; first aid techniques; proper use of two-way radio; proper use of tools to effect entry into a building; basic computer skills. Ability to:
Operate a motor vehicle; apply selected knowledge in collecting and organizing information; remember and recall facts and details; read and interpret complex technical documents; communicate verbally with a variety people; write and speak clearly and concisely in English; perform basic math; public speaking. Education/Experience/License:
High school education or equivalent. One year experience as a Peace Officer in the State of California and possession of P.O.S.T. Basic Certificate
. Possession of a valid California Driver License, Class C is required. Class M license may be required after hire. Supplemental Information Examination:
Only those candidates whose qualifications best meet the needs of the City will be invited to participate in the examination process. Meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee an invitation to compete further in the process.VETERANS' PREFERENCE:
receive a passing score on all phases of the examination shall receive an additional 5% toward their total score. Proof of honorable discharge (DD214) required at time of application.NOTE: Candidates must successfully complete a physical agility exam administered by the City of Westminster. In addition, employment is contingent upon successful completion of a thorough background investigation (includes polygraph examination), a pre-employment medical evaluation (including a drug screen) and psychological evaluation. To Apply:
Applicants must submit a completed City of Westminster employment application on-line using NeoGOV, accessible via the City of Westminster website: www.westminster-ca.gov.
Unless specifically stated otherwise in this announcement, all requirements must be met at the time of application and all required licenses and certificates must be current and submitted with the required application materials. Application materials must be received by the application deadline. Only applications received on-line using NeoGOV will be accepted. SPECIAL NOTES
- All statements made on applications are subject to investigation and verification. False statements may cause for disqualification, removal from the eligible list, or discharge from employment.
- The City of Westminster supports workplace diversity. Women, minorities and disabled persons are encouraged to apply. If you have a disability, which requires reasonable accommodation in order to participate in any portion of the process, please notify the City no less than five working days prior to the requested accommodation. Documentation of the need for accommodation may be required upon receipt of the request.
- The provisions of this announcement do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provision contained in this announcement may be modified or revoked without notice. This announcement contains summary information only. The complete job description may be obtained from the Human Resources Department.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous