The PositionThis is a continuous filing exam. Next filing cut-offs are at 5:00 pm on:
2/8/19, 8/9/19Range A - $6,246.60 - $6,888.67/month
Range B - $6,570.25 - $7,243.62/month
Positions in the Building Inspector series review construction plans, and/or inspects all residential, commercial, industrial buildings, and other structures in Sacramento County to determine compliance with applicable local, state and national codes. Watch to Explore your career with purpose Examples of Knowledge and AbilitiesKnowledge of
All codes and ordinances applicable in Sacramento County including but not limited to:
- Local, state and national codes and ordinances applicable in Sacramento County
- Inspection methods and techniques used in building inspection
- Title 24 of the California Administrative Code
- Building construction relating to residential, commercial, and industrial structures
- Safety precautions associated with building inspection
- Testing equipment used in building inspection
- Basic construction management techniques in areas such as contract law, construction scheduling, estimating, negotiating, and issue resolution
- Improvement standards and Standard Construction Specifications for the County of Sacramento
- Public Works contract administration procedures and practices
Employment QualificationsMinimum QualificationsEither:
- Read, interpret, and explain local, state and national codes and regulations applicable to Sacramento County
- Recommend proper methods in correcting local, state and national code violations
- Follow oral and written instructions
- Read and interpret construction plans and specifications of residential, industrial, and commercial structures
- Maintain effective working relationships with builders, contractors, architects, general public, fellow employees, and other departments
- Detect unapproved building materials and poor workmanship
- Enforce local, state and national code regulations and standards
- Resolve difficult and complex construction problems
- Add, subtract, multiply, and divide
- Apply basic construction management techniques
- Maintain records and prepare reports on assigned projects
Two years of full-time experience in the class of Building Inspector I in Sacramento County Service.Or:
Journey level standing or equivalent plus two years full-time journey level experience in one of the trades of building construction. Sacramento County Series SpecificationOr:
Two years full-time experience performing the duties comparable to the Sacramento County class of Building Inspector I in another jurisdiction, which have included reviewing construction plans, performing routine inspections of residential buildings, mobile homes and other structures to determine compliance with applicable local, state and national codes.Note:
If the minimum qualifications include an educational or certificate/license requirement, applicants must submit proof of requirements with the application. Failure to submit proof of requirements may result in disqualification from the examination. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. For guidelines on submitting acceptable proof of educational requirements, please click here or speak to someone in our office before the cut-off date listed in this notice.Special Requirements
Driver's License :Some positions may require a valid California Driver's License, Class C or higher, is required prior to appointment to the positions in this class series.
Physical Abilities: Ability to climb ladders, rafters and scaffolding; crawl into attics and under buildings; climb into and out of ditches and swimming pools under construction; visually trace colored electrical wiring.
Certificates/licenses: All positions in this class series will be required to complete one year of verifiable experience in the appropriate field and, within one year thereafter, to obtain certification from a recognized state, national, or international association, as determined by the County. Sacramento County Series Specification
Any person currently and continuously employed by the County as an inspector, plans examiner or building official, for not less than two years prior to January 1, 1996, is exempt from the certification requirements as outlined above.
In addition, persons appointed to this class must complete a minimum of 45 hours of continuing education every three years. The County may determine appropriate providers of continuing education such as community colleges or organizations affiliated with code enforcement.Note:
Failure to maintain a valid California Driver's License Class C or higher and failure to meet the required certification requirements may constitute cause for termination from this class in accordance with Civil Service Rule 11.4 or the applicable bargaining unit agreement.Probationary Period
The probationary period for this classification is six (6)
monthsApplication and Testing Information APPLICATION
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM
on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply.County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay ServiceEmail EmployOffice@Saccounty.net Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response.Note:
Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed , therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email. Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs:
Closing Date/Time: Continuous