The Position This is a continuous filing exam. Next filing cut-offs are at 5:00 pm on:3/15/19, 6/21/19, 9/20/19, 12/20/19
Under direction, supervises, assigns, reviews or coordinates the work of staff responsible for the provision of client social services, either through direct supervision of staff, or indirectly through program planning, administration and evaluation; ensures work quality and adherence to established policies and procedures; and performs the more complex tasks relative to the assigned area of responsibility.
This position requires in-depth, specialized and extensive casework and social services knowledge obtained from a Master's Degree in social work. Incumbents are expected to work under minimal management supervision and instruction, and to exercise considerable independent judgment and initiative while supervising and coordinating the work of staff comprised mainly of Human Services Social Worker-Master's Degree positions as well as technical and other staff performing tasks related to programs such as family unification, family maintenance, protective services and placement services. In some positions, incumbents may not supervise units, but may coordinate the provision of social services and public assistance through project management and staff functions for various human services programs. Watch to Explore your career with purpose Examples of Knowledge and Abilities Knowledge of
- Principles and practices of supervision, discipline, leadership, mentoring, and training
- Team dynamics and team building
- Interviewing techniques, including crisis intervention methods
- Effective personnel practices including recognition, performance evaluation and progressive discipline
- Applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, codes, regulations, and procedures governing the operation of public social services agencies in a variety of relevant program areas
- Rules and regulations governing eligibility and grant maintenance programs administered by the County
- The role of a public social service agency in the treatment plan
- Available community resources
- Casework practice and case management
- Principles of human behavior including people under physical, psychological and social stress
- Principles, techniques and methods of community and human services delivery programs
- Types of financial, medical and human services available to public assistance applicants
- The sources of information necessary to determine and verify the eligibility of applicants for, or recipients of, federal aid
- Principles of time management and project management
- Principles and techniques of program planning and evaluation
- Assessment, case management and treatment techniques for children, families, and individuals with a variety of social, psychological, physical and economic problems
- The functions and interrelationships of the various agencies comprising the criminal justice system
- Office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers and applicable software applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, databases, and other specialized applications related to area of assignment
- English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation
Employment Qualifications Minimum QualificationsEither:
- Select, supervise, train, and evaluate staff
- Plan, coordinate, assign, and review the work of subordinate staff
- Investigate and resolve disciplinary issues
- Provide consultative services in complex situations
- Evaluate the quality and quantity of individual and unit performance
- Classify case problems and evaluate the effectiveness of efforts in solving them
- Coordinate the delivery of social and community services
- Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action
- Analyze, interpret and explain policies to staff
- Recognize problems which call for the use of public and private community resources
- Develop and maintain cooperative, effective working relationships with others
- Effectively listen, mediate and resolve complaints
- Interpret, apply and explain applicable federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing
- Research, analyze and make recommendations on the implementation of policies, procedures, regulations and work flow
- Develop clear and comprehensive procedures and forms necessary to implement changes
- Apply customer service skills, including the identification of customer needs and follow up to ensure customer commitments have been met
1a. One year of full-time, paid experience at the supervisory or professional level performing social services delivery activities such as assessing client needs, determining appropriate actions and establishing case plans, monitoring client progress, maintaining case records, or making referrals to other resources, agencies, or services.AND
1b. A Master's Degree from an accredited college or university in social work.Or:
2a. One year of full-time, paid experience at the supervisory or professional level performing social services delivery activities such as assessing client needs, determining appropriate actions and establishing case plans, monitoring client progress, maintaining case records, or making referrals to other resources, agencies, or services.AND
2b. A Master's Degree in a program that meets the requirements necessary to satisfy the minimum education for a Marriage and Family Therapist or Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor license issued by the California Department of Consumer Affairs, Board of Behavioral Science Examiners.Note:
Part-time experience is converted to full-time on the basis of 173.6 hours = 21.7 days = 1 work month.Note:
The word "experience" referenced in the minimum qualifications means full-time paid experience unless the job announcement states that volunteer experience is acceptable. Part-time paid experience may be accumulated and pro-rated to meet the total experience requirements.Note:
If the minimum qualifications include an educational or certificate/license requirement, applicants must submit proof of requirements with the application. Failure to submit proof of requirements may result in disqualification from the examination. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. For guidelines on submitting acceptable proof of educational requirements, please click here or speak to someone in our office before the cut-off date listed in this notice. Typing Certificate requirements can be found by clicking here or by obtaining the requirements from the Employment Services Division office.General Qualifications
Background/Criminal History: The County may access criminal history information on candidates who have accepted a conditional offer of appointment for this class consistent with the provisions of Board of Supervisors Resolution No. 82-602, Personnel Policies and Procedures B-5, and applicable federal and state laws. The County shall not consider for employment any candidate who has been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor that relates to or impacts the candidate's ability to perform the job duties of this class unless it is determined that mitigating circumstances exist. For purposes of accessing criminal history information, the candidate will be fingerprinted. A subsequent arrest notification may be obtained.
The County may also conduct a background check on the candidate prior to appointment to a position within this class. The background check may include personal and professional reference checks, credit history checks where authorized by Labor Code section 1024.5, Social Security Number verification, professional license/registration verification, military service information and driving history. Information obtained in the course of this background check will be considered by the appointing authority in the selection process. In obtaining such information, the County will comply with applicable consent and disclosure practices in the Fair Credit Reporting Act and the California Investigative Consumer Reporting Agencies Act.
Driver's License: A valid California Driver License, Class C or higher, may be required at the time of appointment. Failure to obtain or maintain the appropriate California Driver license may constitute cause for personnel action in accordance with Civil Service Rules or applicable bargaining agreement. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Child and Elder Abuse Reporting: Persons selected for employment must, as a condition of employment, sign a statement agreeing to comply with Section 11166 of the California Penal Code and Section 15630 of the Welfare and Institutions Code relating to child and elder abuse reporting.
Physical Abilities: Some positions in this class may require the incumbent to be able to:
- Sit for periods up to one hour while driving to home visits
- Climb flights of stairs to reach residence
- Lift infants and toddlers weighing up to 40 pounds
- Carry automobile child safety seats
- Have sufficient vision to assess physical condition of clients and home environment
Working Conditions: Some positions in this class may require the incumbent to:
- Be exposed to hostile, emotionally disturbed or mentally ill persons and/or confrontational interpersonal situations
- Work in dangerous, high crime areas of the community
- Work during non-routine hours, standby, and/or callback
- Work in and around substandard living areas with exposure to common communicable diseases, scabies, impetigo and other rashes
- Work outside in all types of climatic conditions including inclement, very hot and/or cold weather
The probationary period for this classification is six (6)
months. Application and Testing Information APPLICATION
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM
on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply.County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay ServiceEmail EmployOffice@Saccounty.net Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response.Note:
Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed , therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email. Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs:
Closing Date/Time: Continuous