This intern position provides real work experience for students with an interest in civil engineering as directed by a lead project manager. Under the Engineering and Stormwater supervision, provides support in the development of data (digitizing, editing, and mapping) utilizing ArcGIS 10. This position will apply intermediate knowledge of GIS to a variety of data creation and development including scanning plans and various field duties. This is a great opportunity to have hands on experience in a local government Public Works/Stormwater environment. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Maintain a regular and reliable level of attendance.
- Create new data based on aerial photography and existing data.
- Edit existing data in order to correct and meet GIS standard for analysis.
- Properly attribute fields for data analysis and reporting.
- Assists in creating basic maps and GPS data collection as needed.
- Assists other GIS users in basic skills.
- Skill in oral communication.
- Computer knowledge and data entry methods and procedures.
- Interest in learning knowledge of engineering and construction practices and principles.
- Knowledge of personal computer hardware and software.
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- Current high school senior, undergraduate or graduate student in good standing working towards or desiring a degree in GIS, Civil Engineering or Construction Management within an accredited program.
- Interest in Civil Engineering and/or GIS fundamentals, surveying, drafting, materials testing (concrete and soils), and general civil engineering design and construction practices.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail and check the quality of own work.
- Experience with AutoCAD is a plus.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
- Work is performed in indoor and outdoor conditions.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous