DESCRIPTIONAccepting online applications only. Apply online 24 hours a day beginning on July 13, 2018. Filing will remain open until vacancies are filled. Filing may close without further notice. For information on testing, compensation and benefits, and the Long Beach Police Department's Policies, click on - Police Recruit Information Sheet .EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Under immediate supervision in a non-sworn training capacity, develops minimum qualifications required for a career in police service; receives Police Academy instruction in Police Department policies and procedures, weaponless defense, criminal and civil law, physical fitness techniques, use of firearms, arrest procedures, community relations, operation of emergency vehicles and other mandated courses; observes sworn police personnel in the processing of arrestees, including booking, fingerprinting, custody and control; and may perform non-sworn police support functions, such as traffic and crowd control, as directed during the training process. REQUIREMENTS TO FILE Applicants must meet the following requirements:
Additional Requirement to File Include:
- Twenty years of age or older at time of filing.
- U.S. high school graduate or G.E.D. equivalency*.
- Valid driver's license*.
- U.S. citizenship or have applied for citizenship. Citizenship must be granted within three years of appointment.
- No felony convictions.
- Read and make sound decisions;
- Comprehend and retain technical training materials;
- Endure periods of strenuous physical activity requiring good balance, coordination, flexibility, endurance, and strength;
- Be compassionate, culturally sensitive, and non-discriminatory to a diverse population;
- Exercise tact using excellent interpersonal skills, solve problems, and demonstrate good mediation skills during highly confrontational situations.
*Do not attach proof of the requirements to file with your application. Proof will be required at the time of conditional offer of employment.DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS:
- Observation, writing, communication and human relation skills.
- Leadership and public service qualities.
Recent college coursework in related fields. Bilingual language ability (Spanish, Khmer, or Tagalog) is desirable for some positions. SELECTION PROCEDURE EXAMINATION WEIGHTS:
NTN or PELLETB Examination............................100%Applicants need only take one exam, NTN Frontline or POST PELLETB Examination. For additional information on testing, waiving the exam with previous scores within one year, compensation and benefits, and the Long Beach Police Department's Policies, click on the Police Recruit Information Sheet .
This is a continuous examination. All applicants meeting the minimum requirements to file will be placed on the eligible list, with those receiving Veteran's Credit first and then in the order in which applications were filed. Eligible lists may be established periodically.If you have not received notification within two weeks of filing your application, contact the Civil Service Department at (562) 570-6202.
In support of the City's Language Access Policy, bilingual skills (Spanish, Khmer and/or Tagalog) are desirable for some positions interacting with the public.
This information is available in an alternativeformat by request at (562) 570-6202.If special accommodation is desired, please contact the Civil ServiceDepartment two (2) business days prior to the test at (562) 570-6202.For hearing impaired, call (562) 570-6638.
An Equal Opportunity Employer.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous