Introduction *********************************************************************************NOTE: This recruitment is open to individuals who meet the definition of Police Officer Lateral or Police Officer Waiver (see below).*********************************************************************************Pay for experience MAY be considered.
There will be aphysical test included inthe selection process for this position. Testing will be conducted on various dates throughout the recruitment process. For more information on the testing process, please checkthe Scottsdale Police Department'swebsite athttp://www.scottsdaleaz.gov/police/join-scottsdale-pd/police-officer.
City of Scottsdale Police Officers are responsible for protecting life and property, preventing, deterring and investigating crime, enforcing laws and responding to citizen requests through the use of community policing strategies to engage and educate the community.
APolice Officer Lateral
is someone who has current Arizona P.O.S.T. Peace Officer Certification.
APolice Officer Waiver
is an applicant who meets one of the following conditions:
- Has successfully completed field training, probation, and is currently operating as fully functional sworn peace officer in municipal, county or state policing within the United States or its Territories; OR,
- Isa former Arizona P.O.S.T. certified peace officer who has left their position more than 3 years ago.
Applicant eligibility for the waiver (or out-of-state certified police officers) program will be determined during the background process.PREFERENCES:
- 1 year of experience working as a peace officer inmunicipalpolicing within the United States, or U.S. Territories, within the last 3 years.
- Current Arizona P.O.S.T. certification, or certification equivalent to Arizona P.O.S.T. within the United States, or U.S. Territories.
Applicants whose education, training and experiencemost closely meet the needs of this position may be invited to participate in aselection process to include physical testing and oral board interviews.Final selection is contingent upon a background check which includes:
- Criminal background screening
- Motor Vehicle Department Records Check
Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment drug test, pre-employment medical exam,Cooper re-fitness test (recruit and waiver candidates) and psychological evaluation.The timeframe for reapplication with the Police Department varies based on the position and the needs of the organization.
For further information on eligibility, please contact Public Safety Human Resources email@example.com
. Minimum Qualifications Education and Experience:
Licensing, Certifications and Other Requirements
- A high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED)equivalent.
- Must be at least 21 years at the time of application.
- Must bea United States Citizen.
- Must possess and maintain a valid, unrestricted Arizona driver's license with no major citations within the past 39 months prior to the start date.
- Obtain and maintain AZPOST Certification.
Performs duties and responsibilities commensurate with assigned functional area within a department(s) which may include, but are not limited to, any combination of the following tasks:
- Performs law enforcement patrol activities.
- Operates a motor vehicle and observes and monitors the public to determine compliance/noncompliance with prescribed operating or safety standards and laws. Pursues and stops offenders, subdues resisting offenders using necessary force where appropriate, including deadly force.
- Issues citations and makes arrests; searches persons, places, and things; seizes and impounds property and evidence; transports arrested persons and property.
- Mediates disputes; performs crowd and riot control activities.
- Conducts law enforcement investigations.
- Protects crime and traffic accident scenes; conducts face to face and phone interviews; observes, gathers, records, processes, and preserves evidence; measures and diagrams crime and traffic accident scenes; prepares detailed written reports of investigative findings; performs data entry of various police activity into computerizedrecords management system,seizes and processes evidence; presents testimony and evidence in court.
- Responds to citizen requests for assistance to fires, accidents, and crime scenes; administers first aid to sick and injured citizens for a wide variety of illnesses and injuries; assists distressed motorists and crime scene individuals; directs traffic; moves persons, vehicles, and other property.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- This is a safety-sensitive position that requires candidates to successfully pass a post-offer drug screen prior to start date.
- As part of the medical examination, candidates must successfully pass anAudiogramTest prior to start date.
- As part of the medical examination, candidates must successfully pass a Visual/Ishihara Screening Test prior to start date.
- As part of the conditional job offer, candidates must successfully pass an Arizona Peace Officer Standards and Training (AZPOST) Medical Exam prior to start date.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position or that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Clickhereto view the full job description for Police Officer;The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time.EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
- Perform a multitude of tasks simultaneously or in logical and efficient succession.
- Sit for extended periods of time while driving a City vehicle.
- Physical agility to pursue offenders on foot; stop and subdue resisting offenders using necessary force where appropriate, including deadly force.
- Access paved, gravel, rough, or turf areas; climb elevations.
- Exposure to dirt, dust, pollen, inclement weather, temperature extremes, traffic hazards, body fluids, hazardous chemical, firearms, various evidence, firearms, and unpleasant odors.
- Perform first aid.
- Lift and move up to 160 pounds for long distances with or without assistance.
- Physically move persons, vehicles, and other property.
- Visually distinguish full range of color spectrum.
- Read maps.
- Use and maintain proficiency with a variety of law enforcement tools, including handguns, batons, and other weapons.
- Visual and muscular dexterity to operate a motor vehicle, computer equipment, and two-way radio maintaining constant vigilance to the surrounding area.
- Utilize two-way radio to hear and respond to radio communications, voice instructions, and/or commands under a variety of working situations and background noise levels consistent with scene processing and/or traffic control.
- Use appropriate Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) when needed/required.
- Travel to/from various locations.
- Work overtime as required.
- Work a variety of scheduled shifts.
: It is the policy of the city to provide employment opportunities to all persons based solely on ability, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491. Requests should be made 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
Closing Date/Time: 7/1/2019 12:59 AM Arizona