San Joaquin General Hospital is seeking a candidate who possesses experience with the development and maintenance of trauma database systems for the purpose of quality assurance. This position is a journey level class and candidates should demonstrate strong organizational, technical, and clerical skills. This recruitment is being conducted to fill one part-time position in the hospital's Trauma Department.
Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of an application. A completed application must be postmarked or received online by the final filing deadline. NOTE: All correspondences relating to this recruitment will be delivered via e-mail. The e-mail account used will be the one provided on your employment application during time of submittal. Please be sure to check your e-mail often for updates. If you do not have an e-mail account on file, Human Resources will send you correspondences via US Mail.
• Identifies all qualifying cases from the trauma patients brought into the hospital for inclusion in the registry, in accordance with ACS standards; updates previously included cases as needed; assembles chart copies as listed to complete abstractions.
• Identifies and abstracts data from patient medical records, including demographics, location of injury, and pre-hospital data, for the purpose of statistical reporting, analysis, and inclusion into the trauma registry; collects data and researches missing patient care documentation as needed from multiple sources, including other facilities or agencies.
• Maintains an electronic registry that adheres to reporting requirements and complies with prescribed standards and regulations needed for trauma center accreditation by the ACS Committee.
• Utilizes Abbreviated Injury Scale/Injury Severity Scores (AIS/ISS) and International Classification of Diseases (ICD9) codes to compile indicators and statistics for use by the Trauma Nursing Director, physicians, and other Hospital staff.
• Generates and prepares reports on trauma populations, performs data searches for trauma-related research projects, and provides information that will be used for Performance Improvement activities to facilitate continued education and system improvement.
• Maintains trauma and ambulance logs; reviews the logs for omissions and duplicates; provides log data to other departments (e.g., medical records) as appropriate.
• Prepares and submits periodic data reports of trauma cases and information to the Trauma Nursing Director, Emergency Medical Services (EMS), and/or other Hospital staff/departments as directed; prepares and submits reports to the National Trauma Data Bank, in accordance with ACS guidelines. Maintains confidentiality and security of all patient information in compliance with Hospital and federal regulations; maintains quality control of case findings, abstracting, coding, follow-up and data processing.
• Maintains records for continuing Quality Assurance indicators reviewed at periodic meetings.
• Participates in continuing education coursework to stay abreast of new developments in registry data management, regulations, requirements, and trends; assists in updating policies and procedures related to trauma registry activities as assigned.
• Provides general administrative assistance to the Trauma Nurse Director pertaining to the coordination of unit functions.
• Performs other or related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS Note :
Supplemental application must be submitted with employment application.
Either Pattern I
Experience : One year performing duties as a Trauma Registrar I in San Joaquin County.
Or Pattern II
Experience : One year performing duties as a trauma registrar in an acute care hospital.
Or Pattern III
Certification: Current certification as a "Certified Trauma Registrar" by the American Trauma Registrars Society Certification Board (ATRSCP).
Trauma registration practices and procedures; basic anatomy and physiology, disease processes, and medical diagnostic procedures; medical terminology applicable to pre-hospital care, emergency room care, and discharge care; general requirements associated with maintaining trauma registries and ensuring compliance with ACS standards; electronic data management and reporting, including the use of standard office software applications and Microsoft Excel; methods of researching and gathering medical information; various types of equipment, instruments and supplies used in an emergency room setting.
Accurately read and interpret handwritten and transcribed documents in a medical record, identify qualifying trauma cases, and abstract/code case information into a trauma registration data base; accurately type at a speed of approximately 40 words per minute; maintain strict confidentiality of information as required by Hospital policies and federal regulations; retrieve and maintain data and information in automated systems and documents; efficiently and effectively utilize standard office computer hardware and software including Microsoft Excel; understand and carry out instructions from medical, nursing and/or other staff; work under pressure and meet critical deadlines; accept changes in work assignments due to shifting priorities; work effectively as a member of a specialized team; communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; maintain cooperative relationships with those encountered during the course of the work.
PHYSICAL/MENTAL REQUIREMENTS Mobility
- Constant sitting for long periods of time; frequent walking required; occasional pushing/pulling; occasional bending/squatting; occasional stair climbing; Lifting
- Frequent lifting required of 5 lbs or less; occasional lifting required of 5 to 25 lbs.; Vision
- Constant reading, color perception, eye/hand coordination, depth perception, close up work and field of vision/peripheral; Hearing
- Frequent hearing and talking in person and on the telephone; Dexterity
- Constant keyboarding/typing, and manipulation of small objects; Emotional/Psychological
- Constant concentration; frequent exposure to grief/trauma and emergency situations; frequent decision making; occasional potential for exposure to hazardous materials; Environmental Conditions
- Constant work in an indoor environment; occasional loud noises.
Applicants for part-time and temporary recruitments who meet the minimum qualifications are either referred to the hiring department for further selection or they may be required to take a written examination. If a written examination is given, the top candidates may be referred to the hiring department for further selection. Testing Accommodation:
Candidates who require testing accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) must call Human Resources Division at (209) 468-3370 prior to the examination date. Physical Exam
: Some classifications require physical examinations. Final appointment cannot be made until the eligible has passed the physical examination. The County pays for physical examinations administered in its medical facilities. Pre-employment Drug Screening Exam
: Some classifications require a new employee successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen as a condition of employment. Final appointment cannot be made until the eligible has passed the drug screen. The County pays for the initial drug screen. Employment of Relatives:
Applicants who are relatives of employees in a department within the 3rd degree of relationship, (parent, child, grandparent, grandchild or sibling) either by blood or marriage, may not be appointed, promoted, transferred into or within the department when:
- They are related to the Appointing Authority, or
- The employment would result in one of them supervising the work of the other
Department Heads may establish additional limitations on the hiring of relatives by departmental rule. Proof of Eligibility:
If you are offered a job, you will be required to provide proof of U.S. citizenship or other documents that establish your eligibility to be employed in the U.S.
HOW TO APPLY Apply Online: www.sjgov.org/department/hr By mail or in person:
San Joaquin County Human Resources
44 N. San Joaquin Street Suite 330
Stockton, CA 95202 Office hours:
Monday - Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm; excluding holidays.
Phone: (209) 468-3370 Job Line:
For currentemployment opportunitiesplease callour 24-hour job line at (209) 468-3377.
When a final filing date is indicated, applications must be filed with the Human Resources Division before 5:00 p.m. or postmarked by the final filing date. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of an application. Applications sent through county inter-office mail, which are not received by the final filing date, will not be accepted. (The County assumes no responsibility for mailed applications which are not received by the Human Resources Division)
. San Joaquin County Substance Abuse Policy:
San Joaquin County has adopted a Substance Abuse Policy in compliance with the Federal Drug Free Workplace Act of 1988. This policy is enforced by all San Joaquin County Departments and applies to all San Joaquin County employees. Equal Opportunity Employer
: San Joaquin County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and is committed to providing equal employment to all without regard to age, ancestry, color, creed, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation or belief, pregnancy, race, religion, sex, or sexual orientation. For more information go to www.sjgov.org/department/hr/eeo
Click on a link below to apply for this position: Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.
Apply Online View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.
This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here
. View and print the official application form as an Acrobat pdf file.
A San Joaquin County application form is required for this recruitment. You may print this Acrobat PDF document and then fill it in. Contact us via conventional means. You may contact us by phone at (209) 468-3370, or by email
, or apply for a job in person at the San Joaquin County Human Resources Division.
Closing Date/Time: Open Until Filled