Under direct supervision, directs traffic at intersections where students cross in going to and from school; escorts students through intersections when necessary; and performs related duties as required.Examples of Duties
Typical Qualifications Knowledge of:
- Controls traffic at designated intersections either by mechanical or hand signal in order to permit students and other pedestrians to cross the street in safety.
- Controls students at intersections and restrains them from crossing until it is determined to be safe; when appropriate, escorts students through intersections.
- Reports the license number of motor vehicles whose drivers disobey the crossing guard's instructions or disregard safety rules in other respects; reports to school principal, or other designated authority, the names of students disobeying the instructions given by crossing guard.
- Calls supervisor or appropriate emergency response staff in the event of emergency situations and ensures that students are in a safe condition until emergency response staff arrives.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Traffic laws relating to pedestrian right-of-way and speed limits in various school locations, especially in a school-crossing area; and elements of traffic safety applying to motorists and pedestrians.
- Basic techniques for effectively dealing with school children.
- Basic techniques for effectively dealing with unusual or emergency situations.
- English usage, grammar, spelling, vocabulary, and punctuation.
- Techniques for providing customer service by effectively dealing with the public and City staff.
Education and Experience:
- Establish and maintain respect and compliance of students.
- Communicate in English, Vietnamese, or Spanish.
- Work under inclement weather conditions.
- Establish, foster and maintain positive and effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be:
Formal or informal education or training which ensures the ability to read and write at a level necessary for successful job performance. Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth (12th) grade is desirable. Supplemental Information Physical Demands
Must possess mobility to work in the field; strength, stamina, and mobility to perform light physical work; hearing and speech to communicate in person. The job involves frequent walking and standing in operational areas. Employees must possess the ability to carry objects up to 5 pounds. Environmental Elements
Employees work in the field and are exposed to loud noise levels, cold and hot temperatures, inclement weather conditions, and road hazards. Employees may interact with upset staff and/or public and private representatives in interpreting and enforcing departmental policies and procedures.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous