About the Department and the Position GENERAL INFORMATIONMedical Assistant $15.72 - $19.12 hourly
Medical Assistant Trainee $13.36 hourly
This recruitment is being conducted to fill a vacancy for the Health Services Agency and establish an eligible list to fill future part-time vacancies throughout Stanislaus County. While this is a continuous recruitment, we encourage you to apply immediately, as this recruitment may close at any time.
Bilingual candidates are highly encouraged to apply.Additional compensation of $0.85 per hour will be paid to eligible certified bilingual employees. A written examination is not being required for our positions at this time, however, you may be required to take a skills test, prior to being appointed to a position in our clinics. Oral examinations will be administered on a monthly basis beginning the week of December 02, 2018.
Cell phones are typically incompatible with the online application format or browser. We recommend using a desktop or laptop computer. If you are still having technical difficulties please callNEOGOV@ 1-855-524-5627.ABOUT THE COUNTY
Stanislaus County is located in Central California within 90 minutes of the San Francisco Bay Area, the Silicon Valley, Sacramento, the Sierra Nevada Mountains and California's Central Coast. With an estimated 538,388 people calling this area home, the community reflects a region rich in diversity with a strong sense of community. Two of California's major north-south transportation routes (Interstate 5 and Highway 99) intersect the area and the County has quickly become one of the dominant logistics center locations on the west coast.
The County is home to a vibrant arts community with the world-class Gallo Center for the Arts, a symphony orchestra, and abundant visual and performing arts. Stanislaus County is a global center for agribusiness, positioned by its mild Mediterranean climate, rich soils and progressive farming practices.
The area is recognized internationally for agricultural innovation with wine, almonds, poultry, milk, cattle, and walnuts being some of the features industries. The County is also home to Stanislaus State University, Modesto Junior College and benefits from satellite locations of other high quality educational institutions. The County was established in 1854 and has a total land area of 1,515 square miles. Temperatures range from an average low of 38 degrees Fahrenheit in the winter, to an average high of 85 degrees in the summer.ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The Health Services Agency (HSA) is a network of outpatient medical programs and services. The HSA includes: medical offices in sevenlocations throughout Stanislaus County; Community Health Services (offering traditional public health services to the community); health education programs and participates in the Valley Consortium for Medical Education (VCME), a California nonprofit public benefit corporation.
The HSA holds strongly to its vision of "Healthy People in a Healthy Stanislaus" by developing its services with the community, in ways that support community need.ABOUT THE POSITION
Medical Assistants in HSA clinics perform both administrative and clinical tasks in the support of licensed health practitioners. Medical Assistants perform various medically related activities that, if not performed by a Medical Assistant, would have to be done by a Registered Nurse. Examples are: documenting medical histories, taking vital signs, explaining treatment procedures to patients, disposal of contaminated supplies, changing wound dressings, drawing blood, giving injections and immunizations, performing Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment(CLIA) waived lab tests, performing Audiology and Vision screening etc. The Medical Assistants ensure the clinic flow is timely by: preparing charts, assuring patients and charts are ready for the provider at the specific appointment time or in advance for prior review, assisting during procedures, entering an order in the Electronic Medical Record (EMR), and following-up on referrals sent to various specialists. Medical Assistants perform other related duties as assigned.
Medical Assistants will be assigned to one "home" Clinic: Paradise Medical Office/Urgent Care, Hughson Medical Office, McHenry Medical Office, Ceres Medical Office, Turlock Medical Office, Family and Pediatric Health Center or the Specialty Clinic. However, Medical Assistants must be willing to travel to any one of the seven locations based on staffing and client volumes, when needed. This position requires a lot of flexibility in schedules and is subject to overtime, standby, and callback assignments.
- Greet patients in a courteous manner and explain clinic procedures;
- Prepare and stock all rooms, check equipment and supplies daily and maintain according to assignment;
- Prepare patient for examination, including weight, height, vital signs, and chart data on medical record;
- Plot data on growth chart when appropriate;
- Assist Physicians and other providers with procedures;
- Ensure charts are complete, including all lab, x-ray and special reports, prior to start of clinic;
- Assist in coordinating the admission of patients to the hospital according to policy;
- Clean rooms and equipment after each examination and prepare for next patient following appropriate infection control techniques;
- Review the visit notes and identify items for action;
- Review billing document to make sure all appropriate charges are captured;
- Match list of patients with visits and with charge document and submit for billing;
- Assist and/or obtain surgical consents, authorizations, and/or referrals;
- Communicate appropriate patient care information in a timely manner with licensed staff to assure quality patient care;
- Assist in physical transfer of patients using proper body mechanics;
- Document pertinent observations of visits per current charting policy;
- Initiate and follow emergency measures including CPR, fire and disaster procedures;
- Perform Department Quality Assurance functions as assigned; and
- Restock, check expiration dates, and maintain current stock supplies.
Minimum Qualifications (Skills, Ability, Knowledge, Education/Experience) SKILLS/ABILITIES
- Print or write legibly and keep simple records;
- Use a medical dictionary and correctly spell medical terminology;
- Follow simple to technical oral and written directions carefully and exactly;
- Accurately take and record patient's vital signs;
- Protect patient confidentiality and follow HIPAA rules and regulations;
- Use stethoscope, thermometer, blood pressure cuffs and scales;
- Communicate effectively and explain procedures;
- Keep supervisor informed of work priorities and problems;
- Maintain an empathetic and courteous attitude toward patients and patient visitors;
- Work effectively under stress or in emergency situations;
- Set up diagnostic equipment for various procedures; and
- Transfer patients to wheelchair and transport patients via wheelchair.
- Body mechanics and proper lifting techniques;
- Isolation procedures, sterile technique, and care of contaminated dressing and supplies; and
- Basic anatomy and disease processes.
Medical Assistant Trainee:
- Medical Assistant Certificate; AND
- Six (6) months full-time experience in a Medical Clinic; AND
- Valid BLSCPR card for Healthcare Providers; AND
- High School Diploma or GED
- Medical Assistant Certificate;AND
- Valid BLSCPR card for Healthcare Providers; AND
- High School Diploma or GED.
A current BLS CPR card for Healthcare Providersand Medical Assistant Certificate/Diploma from an accredited vocational school or college is required for verification purposes at the time of application
. Applicants who are unable to submit proof must call 209-558-8204 to make other arrangements within 5 days of submitting application. Failure to submit proof or make other arrangements will result in disqualification.LICENSE
- Applicants must possess and maintain a valid California Driver's License and remain free from repeated preventable accidents.
In addition to the minimum qualifications, applicant screening will focus on the following desirable qualifications. Please list any of these qualifications you may have within the "Duties" section of the online application.DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Be open and willing to work a flexible schedule including; mornings, afternoons, evenings, and weekends.
Application and Selection Procedures CLASSIFICATION INFORMATION
Unless otherwise provided, this position is part of the Classified Service of the County and is assigned to the Technical Services bargaining unit for labor relations purposes.
Individuals who are in a full-time classification position are required to serve a twelve-month probationary period, which may be extended an additional six months, for a total of eighteen months. The probationary period does not apply to unclassified positions.EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
The County of Stanislaus is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to submit online application(s) for open position(s).
Stanislaus County is committed to establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with the general public, co- workers, supervisors, and members of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy related condition, marital status, gender/sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age (over 40), political affiliation or belief, or military or veteran status.APPLICATION PROCEDURES/FINAL FILING DATE
Applications cannot be submitted later than 5:00 p.m. on the final filing date. Make your online application as complete as possible so a full and realistic appraisal may be made of your qualifications.Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed application.
Attaching your resume and cover letter are an optional feature for those who wish to do so in addition to completing the required application. Information on your resume and cover letter will not substitute for the education, work experience and required fields on the County application. The online County application is the primary tool used to evaluate your job qualifications.RECRUITMENT ACCOMMODATIONS
Arrangements may be made to accommodate disabilities and religious convictions. Applicants requiring testing accommodations are required to complete and submit the Testing Accommodation Request Form prior to the test administration date. Special arrangements for religious convictions should be included in the "Additional Information" section of the application form.http://www.stancounty.com/personnel/pdf/ADATestingForm.pdfGENERAL QUALIFICATIONS
APPLICATION AND/OR EXAMINATION APPEAL RIGHTS
- Pass County-paid pre-employment drug screening and job-related background investigation.
- Perform job duties in a manner assuring a safe working environment for oneself and others.
- Maintain confidential information according to the legal standards and/or County regulations as required.
Application and/or examination results may be appealed by applicants presenting facts alleging irregularity, fraud and/or error in application screening or in exam scoring. Appeals must be in writing and submitted to the Chief Executive Officer within seven (7) days after the examination results are mailed.JOB TASK ANALYSIS INFORMATION
The Job Task Analysis provides information detailing the physical and functional demands of the classification. For the complete job task analysis, visit the Risk Management website at http://www.stancounty.com/riskmgmt/
under "Disability Management."PUBLIC SERVICE LOAN FORGIVENESS PROGRAM
Find out if you qualify for the AES Public Service Loan Forgiveness program for full-time public sector employees (PSLF) by contacting (866) 706-5005.https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-serviceWELLNESS PROGRAM
Learn more about Club Wellness, a program designed to facilitate and encourage the good health of the Stanislaus County's workforce.http://myclubwellness.orgDISCLAIMER
Stanislaus County reserves the right to revise the examination plan described in this bulletin to better meet the needs of County service. The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute an express or implied contract. Any provision contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked without notice. The information contained in the bulletin is information, which sets forth a general summary of benefits for this respective position. This information is not legally binding. The benefits and other information regarding this position may be found in the Stanislaus County Code, the Stanislaus County Personnel Policies manual, or in the applicable Memorandum of Understanding, and such information prevails over information contained in this bulletin. Questions regarding this bulletin may be directed to the Stanislaus County Chief Executive Office/ Human Resources.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous