The City of Seattle's Fleet Management Division (FMD) has an incredible opportunity for mechanics to perform automotive and heavy equipment maintenance work in a fantastic team environment. FMD purchases, maintains, diagnoses, and repairs over 4,000 vehicles and equipment for all City departments. This includes cars, heavy trucks, firefighting apparatus, police vehicles, electric/hybrid vehicles, specialized equipment, and much more. The variety of mechanical work will fully utilize your skills and help you to become a more valuable mechanic. *** Mechanics may be eligible to receive pay premiums for night shift, swing shift, and heavy-duty assignments. For more details about the City of Seattle's comprehensive benefits or pay premiums, please contact the recruiter listed below.
Due to the huge variety of vehicles and equipment, we provide ongoing training and advancement opportunities to keep up with the latest skills of the trade and technology.
This is your opportunity to support the great City of Seattle as your work in this position directly maintains the critical services provided by Seattle Fire, Police, Department of Transportation, City Light, Parks and Recreation, and many other departments ensuring the success of the communities.
Besides ongoing training and career opportunity, FMD has been named both the "#1 Best Fleet" and "Best Green Fleet" in America. Our fleet maintenance shop operations have earned a Four Star EnviroStar rating for their environmental stewardship.
The City of Seattle offers premium benefits that include medical, dental, vision, retirement, paid holidays, vacation, pay premiums, and an incredible opportunity to build a rewarding, meaningful career with work/life balance. Job Responsibilities
Qualifications Minimum Qualifications:
- Perform diagnosis, servicing and repair of the mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic systems on gasoline, electric and diesel-powered light and heavy motorized vehicles.
- Road test and inspect light and heavy duty vehicles to verify complaints, effectiveness of repairs and ensure compliance with safety standards.
- Service, diagnose and repair all types of gasoline and light and heavy-duty diesel powertrains, brake systems, hydraulic, pneumatic and electrical systems and related components, generators and electronic accessories, chassis, steering, suspension, emergency lighting and fuel systems.
- Align wheels, re-line brakes and perform other mechanical, electrical and electronic adjustments.
- Perform scheduled preventive maintenance on a wide variety of heavy and light duty vehicles and equipment.
- Maintain electronic records of work orders, completed repairs, materials used, and labor time used.
- Other duties as assigned.
Four years of experience working under a journey-level Automotive Mechanic or completion of an accredited apprenticeship program. (A combination of education and/or training and/or experience that provides an equivalent background required to perform the work may be considered). License, Certification, and Other Requirements:
Current State of Washington driver's license with combination endorsement within six months of hire date. Desired Qualifications:
- Two years of experience as a mechanic (automotive/equipment)..
- Commercial Driver's License (CDL) CDL-A Endorsement.
- Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) and/or Emergency Vehicle Technician (EVT) Certification.
- Team oriented, flexible, and focused on maintaining a high level of customer service.
- Knowledge of engine and brake repair & maintenance, adjustments and overhaul of power trains.
- Electronic and hydraulic systems experience with light and heavy-duty vehicles and equipment.
Finalists must pass a commercial driver review and pre-placement physical.
A written and working test will be administered as part of the selection process to the most qualified applicants with experience that most closely matches the duties of the position.
Candidates not initially selected may be considered for future vacancies.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous