DESCRIPTION APPLY BEGINNING 8:00 AM JANUARY 29, 2019.THIS JOB OPPORTUNITY IS LIMITED TO THE FIRST 50 QUALIFIED APPLICANTS AND WILL CLOSE WHEN THE 50TH QUALIFIED APPLICATION IS RECEIVED.
The Department of Public Works
is seeking a professional individual with experience in recruitment, selection and classification/compensation to serve as a liaison between the Department of Public Works and the Civil Service Department. These positions perform a wide variety of duties in support of various aspects of personnel and human resources administration as noted in the job duties below. Non-Career employees are allowed a maximum of 1600 work hours available over a 12-month period and are considered temporary, at-will employees who are not typically eligible for benefits. However, non-career employees may qualify for health coverage and sick leave accruals subject to applicable federal and state provisions.EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
REQUIREMENTS TO FILE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:
- Conducts subject matter expert meetings to define selection criteria;
- Assists in developing employment selection assessments, examinations, and processes;
- Develops and coordinates outreach recruitment resources and activities;
- Advertises position openings, posts online job bulletin using Neogov Insight, and screens applications;
- Prepares, schedules, coordinates, and administers a variety of written, performance, and verbal employment examinations;
- Compiles and evaluates information and test validation data and modifies tests/assessments based on analysis;
- Notifies applicants of selection outcomes;
- Manages examination protests and addresses concerns applicants may have about the selection process;
- Interprets the Civil Service Rules and Regulations, City Charter, Salary Resolution, Personnel Ordinance, Personnel Policy and Procedures, Memorandum of Understanding, etc., as they relate to recruitment, selection and classification, and compensation activities within the City of Long Beach;
- Performs other related duties as required.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- A bachelor's degree in Business or Public Administration or a closely related field (proof required).
- Two years of paid (full-time equivalent) professional personnel or administrative experience and general knowledge of recruitment, selection, and classification and compensation.
- A valid California Class C Driver License.
- A general understanding of the Human Resources function specifically recruitment, selection, and classification and compensation;
- Experience in applicant tracking systems, recruitment and selection, and classification and compensation;
- Possession of a Professional in Human Resources (PHR) certificate, International Public Management Association for Human Resources (IPMA-HR) Senior Certified Professional or Certified Professional certificate or similar;
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing;
- Intermediate proficiency with Microsoft Office applications and the ability to use the Internet for personnel applications and research;
- Excellent interpersonal skills to be able to work effectively with various clients, agencies, other City departments, and the public;
- Ability to simultaneously work on several projects and meet demands when priorities change;
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities;
- Exceptional work habits, including punctuality and attendance.
Interested candidates must complete an online application with responses to the supplemental application and attach their cover letter, resume, and proof of education (in PDF format) by the close of filing. Only the first 50 qualified applications will be considered.Those candidates determined to be best suited for the position will be invited to participate in the selection process, which will include an interview by a selection panel and may include a performance exercise.
This information is available in an alternative format by request to the Department of Public Works, Personnel Division, at (562) 570-4686. If you require an accommodation because of a disability in order to participate in any phase of the application process, please request when submitting your application or contact the Personnel Division at (562) 570-4686.AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER, THE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS VALUES AND ENCOURAGES DIVERSITY IN ITS WORKFORCE.