DESCRIPTIONAccepting online applications only. Apply online 24 hours a day, beginning December 7, 2018. Filing will remain open until vacancies are filled. Filing may close without further notice.EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Under direction, plans, develops and maintains a system for checking plumbing plans, specifications and permit applications for compliance with applicable laws and ordinances; establishes procedures for acceptance and processing of plumbing plans and permits; checks plumbing plans, obtains corrections, grant approvals, computes fees, approves changes, and coordinates other plans processed; consults with and advises engineers, architects, contractors, owners, and others on matters related; performs other related duties as required.REQUIREMENTS TO FILE
Candidates must meet option 1 or 2:
- Option 1: A Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, or a closely related field, from an accredited four-year college or university* (proof required*) and four or more years professional (paid, full-time equivalent) experience in plumbing construction and design.
*Required documents, such as transcripts or degree, must be uploaded to the application at the time of filing. Any proofs submitted must contain either the applicant's name or other identifying characteristic on the form. Degree must indicate the field of study and transcripts must indicate field of study and degree conferred date. Candidates who possess degrees from colleges or universities from outside the United States must attach proof of educational equivalency at the time of filing.ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Option 2: Current International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials (IAPMO) or InternationalCode Council(ICC) certification (proof required*)in plumbing inspection or plans examiner and one of the following options:
- 2A - One or moreyears ofrecent (paid, full-time equivalent) experience equivalent to the duties performed by a Principal Building Inspector (or similar title) in a municipal or county building department.
- 2B - Two or moreyears ofrecent (paid, full-time equivalent) experience as a SeniorPlumbing Inspector or Plumbing Plans Examiner (or similar title) ina municipal or county building department.
- 2C - Four or moreyears of recent (paid, full-time equivalent) experience as a SeniorCombination Building Inspector, Senior Electrical Inspector, or a Senior Mechanical Inspector (or similar title) in a municipal or county building department.
- Ability to:
- Use personal computers;
- Speak clearly;
- Read accurately and comprehend;
- Interpret and retain information given verbally and in writing;
- Exercise good judgment, tact and initiative when dealing with the public;
- Make appropriate decisions quickly and independently.
Willingness to work weekends, holidays and irregular hours. A valid motor vehicle operator's license and a current DMV driving record may be required by the hiring department at time of selection. SELECTION PROCEDURE EXAMINATION WEIGHTS:
This examination will be conducted using the continuous, non-competitive procedure. All applicants meeting the requirements will be placed on the eligible list, with those receiving Veteran's credit first, and then in the order in which applications were filed. Eligible lists will be established periodically.
The continuous eligible list will expire in six months.If you have not received notification within three weeks after filing, contact the Civil Service Department at (562) 570-6202.
In support of the City's Language Access Policy, bilingual skills (Spanish, Khmer, or Tagalog) are desirable for some positions interacting with the public.
K41AN-19EK PCP 12/19/18 Closing Date/Time: