PLEASE NOTE: This recruitment is for Entry-Level and Lateral Police Officers. This recruitment will close at 11:59 pm, Sunday, June 30, 2019.
This is a sworn law enforcement position with an emphasis on Community Policing which focuses on crime prevention, organizational excellence and community engagement and inclusion. Portland Police Officers work with the diverse communities in the City of Portland to preserve life, maintain human rights, protect property and promote individual responsibility and community commitment. A Portland Police Officer will function and communicate effectively within the context of varying beliefs, behaviors, orientations, identities and cultural backgrounds. New officers will work various shifts and geographical areas as assigned. Additional information is available at https://www.joinportlandpolice.com/faq/
. External applicants start at the entry salary rate unless you qualify as a Lateral Police Officer.
This classification is represented by the Portland Police Association (PPA) . To view this labor agreement, please go to https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bhr/27840
and click onthe appropriate link. To Qualify ENTRY LEVEL POLICE OFFICER QUALIFICATIONS
At the time of application:
- Must be 20.5years old.
- Possess a High School Diploma or GED.
possess at least one
of the following:
- An Associate's Degree or 60-semester (90-quarter) hours from an accredited college or university. Courses must be 100 level or above.
- 2 years of U.S. Military active duty service or 4 years reserve service under honorable conditions.
- 2 years of continuous service and currently working in a non-sworn position or Portland Bureau of Emergency Communications.
- 2 years of continuous service and currently working in the United States as a:
- Law enforcement officer exercising police powers for a recognized federal, state, county, or city (municipal) agency.
- State or federal certified parole or probation officer.
- State or federal certified corrections officer.
Possess a valid Police Officer Standards and Training (POST) certificate. LATERAL POLICE OFFICER QUALIFICATIONS
- Possess a High School Diploma or GED.
- Must have three (3) years of continuous service in another police agency as a sworn police officer for a recognized state, county, or city (municipal) agency, to include sworn Indian Tribal Police, AND must have been employed there within the last six (6) months.
- Military police, Federal Law Enforcement, Corrections and Parole/Probation DO NOT QUALIFY as a Lateral Police Officer.
must meet each of the following conditions.
The Recruitment Process FRONTLINE WRITTEN EXAM (Pass/Fail)ONLINE APPLICATION
- Must be a U.S. Citizen within one (1) year of employment or a nonimmigrant legally admitted to the United States under a Compact of Free Association https://cann.us/hb-2594/. Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application. (Application for U.S. citizenship requires 5 years of residency).
- Must possess a valid driver's license at the time of application.
- Have no excessive traffic violations.
- Have no felony convictions.
- Have no conviction of a crime involving domestic violence.
- Have not used any marijuana products within the last year.
- Have no dishonorable discharge from any branch of military service.
- Cannot have any offensive forms of body art or tattoos above the collar. More information can be found at https://www.joinportlandpolice.com/faq/.
- Must have vision correctable to 20/30. Additional information on medical requirements can be found on the DPSST F-2 at http://www.oregon.gov/dpsst/SC/pages/cjforms.aspx.
Additional Information Applicants successfully passing both the Frontline Written Exam (prior to application) and supplemental questionnaire review will be placed on an equally ranked eligible list of candidates and scheduled for the next step of the application process. Applications will be processed for placement on an eligibility list approximately every two (2) weeks. Reminder :
- Upon passing the Frontline Written Exam, applicants will complete the on-line application and supplemental questionnaire. Applicants who are disqualified from the supplemental questionnaire will not be able to reapply until the next recruitment cycle.
- Veteran's Preference. Upload and attach a copy of your DD214/DD215 and Veteran's Administration letter stating your disability rating (if applicable) with your application. You must also check the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veteran's Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment you apply for. Veteran's Preference documentation must be submitted with your application .
To have your application considered for placement on an eligible list, you must take the NTN, request that your scores be sent to Portland Police Bureau, and then submit your application. ONCE ON AN ELIGIBLE LIST, YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED BY EMAIL ON THE ADDITIONAL STEPS IN THE POLICE OFFICER SELECTION PROCESS WHICH INCLUDE:
- PERSONAL HISTORY STATEMENT and REQUIRED DOCUMENTS. Further information can be found at https://www.joinportlandpolice.com/documents/.
- INTERVIEW PANEL (PASS/FAIL)
- PERSONAL HISTORY QUESTIONNAIRE (PHQ) / CALIFORNIA PSYCHOLOGICAL INVENTORY (CPI) EXAMS
- PHYSICAL ABILITY TEST (PASS/FAIL)
- IN-DEPTH BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION
- QUALIFYING PSYCHOLOGICAL EXAM
- QUALIFYING MEDICAL EXAM
Additional Information on the recruitment process can be found at https://www.joinportlandpolice.com
. The Portland Police Bureau offers free monthly hiring process workshops
to assist applicants in the selection process. Workshop information can be found at https://www.joinportlandpolice.com/workshops/
. This recruitment will close at 11:59 pm, Sunday, June 30, 2019.
All applications for this position must be submitted online and in the possession of the Portland Police Bureau of Human Resources no later than 1 1:59 pm, Sunday, June 30, 2019
If you need any assistance please contact Officer Parik Singh at (503) 823-0333 or PPBRecruiter@portlandoregon.gov
. Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/joinpdxpolice
It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply. If you wish to identify yourself as an individual with a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and will be requesting accommodation, the requests must be made to the Analyst named below No Later Than the Closing Date of This Announcement
Teresa Dahrens, Senior Human Resources Analyst
Bureau of Human ResourcesTeresa.Dahrens@portlandoregon.gov
(503) 823-4516 An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer Wages & Benefits Information:http://www.joinportlandpolice.com/wages-benefits/Additional Information Regarding This Recruitment:http://www.portlandoregon.gov/police/60019Frequently Asked Question:http://www.joinportlandpolice.com/faq/
Closing Date/Time: 6/30/2019 11:59 PM Pacific