The Eligibility Specialist classifications determine the eligibility of applicants and recipients for public assistance programs through interactive interviewing and fact gathering; maintain current knowledge of program regulations and procedures necessary for multi-program caseload administration; initiate and process casework through automated systems; identify needs and make appropriate referrals for health, social, and/or employment services; and perform related work as required.
The Eligibility Specialist II is the journey-level classification in the Eligibility Specialist series. Incumbents demonstrate working knowledge of eligibility regulations, procedures, and eligibility software systems. Eligibility Specialist II incumbents handle more complex tasks and/or caseloads independently with consultation as needed by Eligibility Specialist IIIs or Eligibility Supervisors. Positions in this class are flexibly staffed and are normally filled by advancement from the lower level or if filled from the outside, require prior experience as an Eligibility Specialist, Eligibility Worker, or comparable position.
The class of Eligibility Specialist II is distinguished from the Eligibility Specialist I as the latter requires a higher level of consultation and supervision and is working toward achieving a working knowledge of program rules and regulations. The Eligibility Specialist II class is distinguished from the Eligibility Specialist III in that the latter class is assigned lead specialist duties or special assignments with a greater degree of independent judgment.Minimum Qualifications
One (1) year full time experience in an Eligibility Specialist I classification in an Interagency Merit System (IMS) County;OR
Two (2) years of full time experience determining eligibility for public assistance programs in a public human services agency.
While the above requirements outline the minimum qualifications, applicants may be further evaluated for qualifications beyond those listed. Those applicants that are determined to be most highly qualified will be invited to participate in the next step of the selection process.Supplemental Information ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
- A valid driver's license may be required at the time of appointment and employees may also be required to drive their own car, provide proof of car insurance, and a DMV clearance. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to a disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- The San Benito County Health and Human Services Agency requires pre-employment fingerprinting as a part of the background investigation for all positions.
- The ability to speak, read, and write Spanish in addition to English would be an asset in this position, but is not required. Applicants for English/Spanish bilingual designated positions must take and pass the bilingual proficiency examination administered by CPS HR Consulting.
- Government agencies accessing US government information, which includes federal tax information, must ensure that background investigation requirements for all agency employees and contractors that have access to federal tax information are consistent to the IRS background investigation requirements for access to federal tax information. A background check may be required if the position requires access to these types of records. Background requirements consist of three components which include fingerprinting, citizenship verification, and local law enforcement checks. State agencies must conduct investigation during time of hire and ensure a reinvestigation is conducted 10 years from the date of the previous background investigation for each employee that has access to federal tax information.
- Recruitments that note continuous under the closing date are subject to close at any time. Applicants will not be accepted after a continuous recruitment is closed.
- The written exam and oral exam dates will be determined once the recruitment closes.
If you would like to request Veteran's preference points as part of the application packet, please submit a copy of your DD-214 form. Applicants must fax or email a copy of the DD-214 form to CPS HR at 916-648-1211 or email@example.com by the application deadline listed on the job bulletin.EXAMINATION INFORMATION
If supplemental questions are included as a part of this job bulletin, applicants may be rated based upon their responses to the supplemental questions. If rated, only those that are determined to be highly qualified will be invited to participate in the next step of the selection process.SPECIAL TESTING ARRANGEMENTS
Special testing arrangements may be made to accommodate applicants for disability, military, or religious reasons. If you require such arrangements, please contact CPS HR Consulting at firstname.lastname@example.org or 916-471-3507 upon notification that your application has been approved. Documentation from medical, military, school, or church officials outlining the accommodation request must be received by our office a minimum of five business days prior to a scheduled examination.ABOUT SAN BENITO COUNTY
San Benito County is in the Coast Range Mountains in California, only 45 minutes from the Pacific Ocean, bordering Santa Clara County and adjacent to the San Francisco Bay Area. The County enjoys a high comfort rating, with an average of 262 sunny days per year and mild temperatures year-round. Another aspect of the comfort level is the low crime rate, which falls anywhere from below to significantly below the national average in all measured categories. One of the historic California missions, San Juan Bautista is in San Benito County, as well as numerous quaint towns and communities. Within the County, there are 12 school districts, and several private, religious and charter schools, all providing students with a quality education. Residents and visitors also enjoy a myriad of outdoor activities here, at Pinnacle National Park, championship golf courses, sky diving, cycling, geological walks and geocaching. The area is also known for its destination wineries and organic farms, and is reputed to sport the best views in California
Closing Date/Time: Continuous