Introduction If you are looking for a great summer job, then this is just the opportunity for you!
Placer County is currently recruiting for Lifeguards to monitor residents and guests at the community pool located in Dutch Flat. Please see the information below for a description of this assignment and how to apply. POSITION INFORMATION
This is a temporary/extra-help assignment limited to 999 hours (or 960 hours for CalPERS retired annuitants) in a fiscal year. DEFINITION
To perform general lifeguard duties pertaining to the safety and operation of an assigned swimming pool facility and program. SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives general supervision from the Parks and Grounds Superintendent as well as technical and functional supervision from the Sr. Supervising or Supervising Parks and Grounds Worker assigned to the pool. EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES
Essential duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS It is the responsibility of applicants to identify in their application materials how they meet the minimum qualifications listed below.
- Maintain a constant vigil over patrons at the pool facility; rescue persons in distress.
- Maintain discipline and orderly conduct among the patrons and enforce all pool rules and regulations.
- Render first aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) procedures.
- Clean rest rooms, dressing rooms, guard shack and pick up litter around grounds; inform park supervisor of maintenance conditions and supply needs.
- Monitor pool water level and ensure pool skimmers are functioning correctly.
- Ensure pool deck is clean of debris and required pool safety equipment is in place and functional.
- Fill out pool incident report forms for state regulation requirements.
- May be required to collect fees for swimming pool use; maintain records and reports as required.
- May be required to direct and instruct swimming, lifesaving and water safety classes.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Experience: None required.
Training: Must be at least 16 years of age. License and Certificate:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES Knowledge of:
- Must obtain a valid American Red Cross Lifeguard Certificate (Title 22) or equivalent prior to starting employment.
- Must obtain a valid Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Certificate or equivalent prior to starting employment.
- Must obtain a valid Emergency Medical Services Authority (EMSA) First Aid Certificate or equivalent prior to starting employment.
- May need to possess a valid driver's license as required by the position. Proof of adequate vehicle insurance and medical clearance may also be required.
- Water safety and lifesaving principles and practices.
- Swimming rescue and advanced first aid techniques including CPR.
- Basic principles used in the operation and mechanics of a swimming pool.
- Basic operational characteristics of pool pumps and filtering equipment.
CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT
- Swim with proficiency and endurance.
- Work with children in a recreational swimming environment.
- Interpret rules, regulations and departmental policy.
- Follow oral and written instructions.
- Work with various cultural and ethnic groups in a tactful and effective manner.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- On a continuous basis, sit while observing patrons using the pool facilities; intermittently stand, bend, squat, climb, kneel, twist and reach when assisting pool patrons; swim and lift moderate weight.
Prior to the date of hire, applicants must undergo a fingerprint test by the Department of Justice, pass a medical examination (which may include a drug screening and possibly a psychological evaluation), sign a constitutional oath and submit proof of U.S. citizenship or legal right to remain and work in the U.S. For some positions, applicants may also be required to submit proof of age, undergo a background investigation (which may include a voice stress analysis and/or a polygraph) and/or be bonded. Additionally, positions in law enforcement classifications, and those supporting law enforcement functions will be required to complete a conviction history questionnaire prior to or during the interview process. Applicants for positions with access to Medi-Cal billing software or who are licensed providers must clear the Federal Exclusion List, credentialing, and social security verification. Failure to clear these requirements may result in an employment offer being withdrawn. EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Thank you for your interest in employment with Placer County. Placer County is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an active nondiscrimination program. It is the stated policy of Placer County that harassment, discrimination and retaliation are prohibited and that all employees, applicants, agents, contractors, and interns/volunteers shall receive equal consideration and treatment. All terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, transfer and promotion will be based on the qualifications of the individual for the positions being filled regardless of gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, physical disability (Including HIV and AIDS), mental disability, medical condition (cancer or genetic characteristics/information), age (40 or over), marital status, military and/or veteran status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law. Please contact the Human Resources Department at least 5 working days before a scheduled examination if you require accommodation in the examination process. Medical disability verification may be required prior to accommodation. Selection Plan
To be considered for the Lifeguard position, you must complete an on-line application and submit proof of possession of the three required safety certifications listed in the Minimum Qualifications section of this bulletin. Proof of a Drivers License is not required.
Please provide copies of the required safety certifications through one of the following means:
- Scan/Photo documents and upload files to your application; OR
- Email as an attachment to email@example.com OR
- US Mail or hand deliver to: Placer County Human Resources, Attn: Lifeguard Recruitment, 145 Fulweiler Avenue, Suite 200, Auburn, CA 95603
Closing Date/Time: 8/30/2019 5:00:00 PM