The Senior Engineering Technician performs a variety of tasks related in the performance of sub-professional engineering office, design assistance, and drafting work, including assisting the professional engineering staff in mechanical, structural, electrical, or instrumentation technical support work; perform engineering support work involving environmental control system operations & maintenance and monitoring labor compliance, traffic usage analysis, plan & map checking, construction administration, drafting, condition compliance and conformance, and issuing permits and determining required fees. Assignments may include responsibility for an ongoing project or program or providing lead direction for the implementation of systems with program or function wide impact. The Senior Engineering Technician may also provide lead direction and exercise control over the work of other assigned staff where the work requirements are well defined and a volume of past practices and precedents exist.This is a limited continuous filing exam. The filing cut-offs are at 5:00 pm on: 2/25/2019, 3/11/2019, and *4/8/2019, *6/3/2019, *8/6/2019 (Final). Explore your career with purpose Examples of Knowledge and Abilities Knowledge ofAll Options
- Public works construction principles, practices, methodologies, and techniques
- Principles of training and work direction
Design & Drafting Option
- Public works contract administration, fee & permit requirements
- Construction conditions requirements
- Traffic utilization analysis techniques and practices
- Labor compliance requirements
- Related legislative and rules relating to public works construction in the County
Computer Specialist Option
- Specialized engineering support principles and practices utilizing conventional or computer-aided design and drafting techniques applicable to plans, schematics, sketches, and other materials utilized for the construction of public works facilities and structures
Geographic information Systems (GIS) Option
- The principles and practices of the utilization and application of automated equipment and systems to the resolution of engineering related problems, including the knowledge of techniques and procedures for development and modification of software packages in the design, configuration, and implementation of unique solutions to engineering specific problems
Plan & Map Check Option
- Knowledge of GIS applications, including the capabilities, limitations, and characteristics
- ArcInfo computer software
- Mapping and geoprocessing operations of local government
- Computer-aided drafting
- Principles and practices of public works design and construction, Federal, State, and County improvement standards as they are applied to map and plan checking for conformance to established requirements and standards, including parcel and subdivision criteria
Employment Qualifications Minimum Qualifications
- Independently perform specialized assignments requiring extensive knowledge of sub-professional engineering work
- Represent the County in meetings and conferences with outside consultants, contractors, and other public agencies
- Provide lead direction
- Read, speak and write English at a level necessary for satisfactory job performance
Any combination of experience and education or training that is likely to provide the required knowledge and abilities for this class. Typical ways to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
1. Three years of full-time experience in the class of a Engineering Technician in Sacramento County service.
2. Three years of sub-professional engineering experience involving public works facilities or structures work.Education Substitution:
Completion of coursework in engineering or related field at an accredited college or university may be substituted for up to one year of the required experience. Related education substitutions for the required experience are computed on the basis of 3 semester units or 4.5 quarter units = 1 work month.Note:
The word "experience" referenced in the minimum qualifications means full-time paid experience unless the job announcement states that volunteer experience is acceptable. Part-time paid experience may be accumulated and pro-rated to meet the total experience requirements.Note:
If the minimum qualifications include an educational or certificate/license requirement, applicants must submit proof of requirements with the application. Failure to submit proof of requirements may result in disqualification from the examination. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. For guidelines on submitting acceptable proof of educational requirements, please click here or speak to someone in our office before the final filing date listed in this notice.Special Requirements
Some positions in this series require a valid California Driver's License, Class C or higher at the time of appointment.Note:
Failure to maintain the appropriate valid California Driver's License constitutes cause for termination from the class in accordance with Civil Service Rule 11.4.
Applicants for positions assigned to the Department of Airports are subject to a criminal history record check in accordance with the Federal Aviation Administration, FAR 107.11(f) and Sacramento County Personnel Policies and Procedures No. B-5.Probationary Period
The probationary period for this classification is six (6)
months. Application and Testing Information APPLICATION
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM
on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply.County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay ServiceEmail EmployOffice@Saccounty.net Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response.Note:
Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate or Credentials Screening Panel exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed , therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email.Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs:
Call (916) 874-5627 and you will be provided with a recorded message, accessible 24 hours a day.Closing Date/Time: 8/6/2019 5:00 PM Pacific