Salary: $25,478-$44,586 DOE
GILA COUNTY HUMAN RESOURCES JOB ANNOUNCEMENT
1400 E. ASH STREET, GLOBE, AZ 85501
POSTED: FEBRUARY 12, 2019 OPEN UNTIL FILLED
PURPOSE OF THE JOB The purpose of this position is to educate native peoples about elections and to increase their accessibility for those citizens.This position visits local reservations to conduct voter registration drives and provides Apache translation services. The position coordinates publicity, cancels voters, answers calls and provides information, attends meetings and training, performs data entry and assists with clerical tasks.
This position does not supervise other employees.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Conducts voter registration drives on San Carlos, White Mountain and Tonto Apache Reservations. 10%
• Coordinates voter registration and election efforts with minority language community members and with other agencies. 10%
• Conducts public relations activities, including preparing newspaper advertisements, distributing local flyers and liaising with media contacts regarding Voter Outreach registration. 10%
• Assists with general voter registration forms, including reviewing, scanning and filing. 10%
• Cancels voters who have moved outside County or State, deceased, or been convicted of felonies. 10%
• Answers incoming calls and provides general information regarding elections and voter registration. 10%
• Attends Voter Outreach meetings with other Counties in addition to seminars and training sessions. 10%
• Provides Apache translation services to assist with business matters. 10%
• Logs voter registration information, including cancellations, updates and other editing. 20%
• Performs other duties as assigned
This position has no responsibility over any types of budget.
This position does not have PROJECT RESPONSIBILITIES.
ORAL COMMUNICATION DUTIES
This position explains County procedures or processes, conducts meetings or leads group discussions.
WRITTEN COMMUNICATION DUTIES
This position creates or edits documents, internal memos, emails and reports.
INTERACTIONS WITH THE GENERAL PUBLIC
Interacts regularly with internal coworkers and other departmental personnel over the telephone, by email, and/or in person. Incidental contact with the public may occur as part of the work location.
INTERACTIONS SPECIFICALLY WITH CUSTOMERS
Regularly (More than 55% but less than 70% in a year)
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED
High School Diploma or GED.
MINIMUM YEARS OF DIRECTLY RELATED EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
Two (2) years voter outreach experience; or equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Voter Outreach Assistant
19-009 APPLICANTS MUST SPEAK APACHE LANGUAGE
PROFESSIONAL CREDENTIALS REQUIRED
Must be able to speak and talk in Apache Language; valid Arizona Driver's License.
Customer and personal service, English language and composition, communications and media, Federal, State, Local Laws, regulations, statutes. Working knowledge of voter registration and election processing; knowledge of minority speaker voter outreach activities and programs; preferably Apache bi-lingual speaker; methods for promoting voter registration; voter registration documentation; regulations governing election activites; customer service when working with public at front desk; public service to represent tribes as a speaker to help and assist all natives who may need help with election process and procedures.
Language skill, in particular Apache language. Active learning, critical thinking, customer service, public speaking (large groups), multi- tasking, typing and data entry.
Ability to recognize problems, make sense of multiple information, perform tasks with finger dexterity, speak clearly and sensibly. Ability to work on various computer platforms for entering voters' registration; proofread the work of another for accuracy.
• Routinely stands to attend to customers.
• Regularly sits to complete report.
• May be required to lift work related materials or equipment up to 10 lbs.
• Constantly requires dexterity for keyboard operation.
• Incumbents in this position may be required to occasionally bend and/or occasionally kneel to complete tasks.
Incumbents in this position generally perform work at Traveling Voter Outreach site outside of the office area. This position also spends time in office environment; occasionally spends time in lobby environment; occasionally spends time in classroom(s); and routinely spends time in automobile.
SAFETY RISK EXPOSURE
Incumbents in this position may become exposed to telephone verbal abuse by customers or citizens, individuals with high level of emotional distress.
PROTECTIVE GEAR & SAFETY MANUALS
Incumbents in this position are required to constantly follow written safety procedures and manuals relevant to the division or department.
CONSEQUENCES OF ERROR
Potential errors can cause inconveniences to other employees, and/or delays in related work areas. Delays of services are possible.
APPLICANTS MAY BE REQUIRED TO FURNISH, AT THEIR OWN EXPENSE, DOCUMENTARY PROOF OF EDUCATIONS, CERTIFICATION, REGISTRATION, LICENSE OR ANY OTHER PROOF OF COMPETENCY AS REQUIRED IN THE OFFICIAL CLASSIFICATION DESCRIPTION OR ANNOUNCEMENT AND MAY BE REQUIRED TO UNDERGO PHYSICAL, PSYCHOLOGICAL AND/OR BACKGROUND INVESTIGATIONS AS A CONTINUING CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT. FURTHER, APPLICANTS FOR POSITIONS REQUIRING OPERATION OF A COUNTY OR PERSONAL VEHICLE ON OFFICIAL BUSINESS MUST POSSESS AND MAINTAIN COUNTY OR PERSONAL VEHICLE OPERATORS LICENSE. GILA COUNTY DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, NATIONAL ORIGIN, SEX, RELIGION, AGE OR DISABILITY, AND FAMILIAL STATUS IN EMPLOYMENT OR THE PROVISIONS OF SERVICE. AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER.