The Department of Financial Management's Fleet Services Bureau has immediate openings for part-time, Garage Service Attendant I Non-Careers to serve as vehicle service technicians, vehicle out/up-fitting technicians, and vehicle towing and recovery service technicians. Non-Career employees are allowed a maximum of 1600 work hours available over a 12-month period, and are considered temporary, at-will employees who are not typically eligible for benefits. However, non-career employees may qualify for health coverage and sick leave accruals subject to applicable federal and state provisions.This position works at the Fleet Services Bureau facility located at 2600 Temple Avenue, Long Beach 90806.EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
REQUIREMENTS TO FILE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:
- Performs preventative maintenance inspections and minor repairs on all types of vehicles and equipment;
- Assists Equipment Mechanics and skilled trades persons;
- Installs various components as part of vehicle out/up-fitting;
- Troubleshoots vehicle wiring, lighting, and electronic systems;
- Repairs, replaces, and mounts all types of vehicle tires;
- Operates various towing equipment and performs complex vehicle recovery;
- Assists with lien sales and property disposal procedures;
- Operates a fork-lift;
- Performs LNG fueling and fuel site maintenance;
- Cleans shop areas and repairs service equipment;
- Observes safety rules and regulations;
- Delivers vehicles and/or transports people to various locations;
- Cleans, washes, and delivers vehicles and equipment;
- May open and close shop work orders using computerized Fleet Management system;
- May use computers and related equipment to diagnose vehicles/equipment, enter data, track work, and produce reports; may interact with vendors and/or customer departments via phone, fax, e-mail and in person;
- Performs other duties as required.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- One year of paid full-time equivalent experience performing automotive and motorized equipment servicing and maintenance which requires a working knowledge of tools, equipment, materials, and procedures used in the preventive maintenance, adjustment, and minor repair of automotive and other motorized power equipment.OR, one year of paid full-time equivalent experience in towing vehicles under a variety of conditions.
- Recent vocational training at an accredited institution in Diesel or Automotive Mechanics or a closely related field, OR a current, towing competency certificate from the American Automobile Association, California Tow Truck Association, or Wreck-Masters, may be substituted for up to six (6) months of the required experience (proof required)*.
- A valid California Class C Driver License.
- Some positions require a valid Class A or B commercial driver license and willingness to comply with the Anti-Drug and Alcohol Misuse Prevention Program as required by the Department of Transportation.
- Willingness to work any shift assignment, including nights, holidays, and/or weekends.
- Ability to maintain simple records;
- Ability to work cooperatively with others and the public;
- Exceptional work habits, including punctuality and attendance;
- Possession ofAutomotive Service Excellence (ASE) certifications.
Interested candidates must complete an online application with responses to the supplemental application and attach (if using to qualify) their proof of vocational training or certificate (in PDF format). Those candidates determined to be best suited for the position will be invited to participate in the selection process, which will include an interview by a selection panel and may include a performance exercise.
This information is available in an alternative format by request to the Department of Public Works, Personnel Division, at (562) 570-4686. If you require an accommodation because of a disability in order to participate in any phase of the application process, please request when submitting your application or contact the Personnel Division at (562) 570-4686.AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER, THE DEPARTMENT OF FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT VALUES AND ENCOURAGES DIVERSITY IN ITS WORKFORCE.