The Position NOTE: If you are interested in applying for theEquipment Mechanicposition that is also open at this time, please submit a separate application for that job announcement.This is a limited continuous filing exam. Next filing cut-offs are at 5:00 pm on:6/25/19, *9/25/19(final).
Automotive Mechanic is a single class with two salary levels, Range A and Range B. The Automotive Mechanic Range B is reserved exclusively for those positions designated by the appointing authority as the crew leader of a small unit of mechanics who maintain, repair, and service gasoline and alternatively fueled automobiles and light trucks.
Automotive Mechanic Range A is the journey level classification; incumbents diagnose and repair gasoline and alternatively fueled automobiles and light trucks. Watch to Explore your career with purpose Examples of Knowledge and Abilities Knowledge of
- principles of supervision
- repair of gasoline and alternatively fueled automobiles and light trucks
- automotive preventive maintenance
- automotive repair cost estimates
- automotive parts, supplies and equipment
- automotive air conditioning system repair and service
- theory and operation of gasoline internal combustion engine and hydraulic drum and disc brake systems
- automotive emission control systems and standards
- automotive tune-up procedures
- automotive fuel, cooling, electrical, drive train and clutch systems
- automotive chassis and body components.
- methods, tools, material and equipment used in repair and maintenance of automotive equipment
- principles of automotive carburetion
Employment Qualifications Minimum Qualifications
- evaluate and supervise the work of others
- train others
- evaluate and diagnose automotive problems
- communicate effectively with employees, other County employees and private repair vendors
- estimate automotive repair costs
- read and understand automotive repair manuals and schematics
- visually detect conditions that will affect the safe operation of automotive equipment
- work safely in and around gasoline and alternatively fueled automobiles and light trucks
- safely drive gasoline and alternatively fueled automobiles and light trucks
- repair and maintain automotive equipment, diagnose automotive mechanical problems and determine appropriate work
- follow oral and written instructions
- use automotive repair tools and equipment
- keep simple records
Any combination of education, training, and experience likely to provide the required Knowledge and Abilities for these classes as described above. Typical ways include:Either:
1. Three years of full-time experience as an Automotive Service Worker in Sacramento County service.Or:
2. Four years of full-time experience diagnosing malfunctions and repairing and maintaining engines, automatic transmissions, clutch and brake systems, and other components of automobiles and light trucks.
Successful completion of vocational education or training courses in automotive technology or automotive mechanics may be substituted for up to one (1) year of required experience based on the following: three (3) semester units or four and one-half (4.5) quarter units equal one (1) month of experience. The course of training must be recognized by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.Or:
3. Completion of an Automotive Trades Apprenticeship Program approved by the Division of Apprenticeship Standards of the California Department of Industrial Relations;AND
One year of full-time experience diagnosing malfunctions and repairing and maintaining engines, automatic transmissions, clutch and brake systems, and other components of gasoline and alternatively fueled automobiles and light trucks.Note:
If the word "experience" is referenced in the minimum qualifications, it means full-time paid experience unless the minimum qualification states that volunteer experience is acceptable. Part-time paid experience may be accumulated and pro-rated to meet the total experience requirements.Note:
To compute full-time equivalency of part time experience:
173.6 hours = 21.7 days = 1 work month.Note:
If the minimum qualifications include an educational or certificate/license requirement, applicants must submit proof of requirements with the application. Failure to submit proof of requirements may result in disqualification from the examination. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. For guidelines on submitting acceptable proof of educational requirements, please click here or speak to someone in our office before the cut-off date listed in this notice.Special Requirements
All positions in the series are required to possess a valid Class C California Driver License at the time of appointment. Some positions in the series are required to possess a valid Class B California Driver License within 90 days of appointment.Note:
Failure to maintain the appropriate valid California Driver License(s) constitutes cause for termination from the class in accordance with Civil Service Rules.
Positions in the class of Automotive Mechanic require the ability to lift automotive wheels weighing up to forty (40) pounds; ability to trace electrical wiring by color coding and touch; ability to repair equipment located in cramped areas; ability to work in awkward positions; ability to recognize mechanical problems by sight and sound; ability to visually detect conditions that will affect the safe operation of automotive equipment.
Hours of Work:
Employees in these classes must be able to work day, swing or graveyard shift.
Employees in the class of Automotive Mechanic are responsible for providing their own basic set of tools, such as wrenches, screwdrivers, ratchets, pliers and sockets.
Some positions in this series must pass an employment history/access investigation and a criminal history records check prior to appointment.
Some positions in this series must acquire and maintain a security clearance allowing access to secure County locations.Probationary Period
The probationary period for this classification is six (6)
months. Application and Testing Information APPLICATION
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM
on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply.County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay ServiceEmail EmployOffice@Saccounty.net Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response.Note:
Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed , therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email. Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs:
Closing Date/Time: 9/25/2019 5:00 PM Pacific