Pursuant to Article IV of the County Charter, this is an at will department head position appointed by the Board of Supervisors to a four year term. The County Counsel shall not be entitled to the expectation of successive appointments, unless appointed to a successive term. The County Counsel serves as the principal legal counsel to the County. The incumbent is responsible for overall policy development, fiscal management, administration, and operation of the County Counsel's Office, which includes 11 attorneys and 5 support staff. Successful performance of the work requires knowledge of public policy, municipal functions and activities, including the role of an elected Board of Supervisors, and the ability to develop, oversee, and implement projects and programs in a variety of areas. The incumbent is accountable for accomplishing departmental planning and operational goals and objectives, and for furthering County goals and objectives within general policy guidelines
The New County Counsel will:
• Be a visionary and strategic leader who understands the effectiveness of being a team player and leading
from the front.
• Confidently exercise excellent legal and business judgement, and be proactive instead of reactive.
• Work closely with department heads in examining potential legal impacts and developing alternatives to
address a wide range of policy and operation issues to protect the County’s legal interests.
• Cultivate strategic thinking to adjust strategies and overcome challenges, while including their employees in
process improvement changes.
• Work collaboratively with stakeholders to understand and implement solution-driven outcomes consistent
with the County’s Strategic Plan.
• Establish and maintain trust, confidence, and credibility with the Board of Supervisors, the Chief
Administrative Officer; and executive leadership.
• Effectively represent the County in contacts with governmental agencies, community groups, and various
business, professional, regulatory, and legislative organizations.
• Possess demonstrated collaboration and communication (written and verbal) skills in order to work
effectively with a wide range of people from diverse backgrounds.
• Be passionate about, and live, the department’s mission and vision each and every day.
Equivalent to a bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or university, plus a Juris Doctorate from an accredited school of law, and ten (10) years of advanced professional legal experience in a public agency, as well as trial experience, including three (3) years in a management capacity. Experience as an Assistant or Chief Deputy County Counsel, Assistant City Attorney, or equivalent classification is desirable
Possession of an active membership in good standing with the State Bar of California
To be considered for this exceptional opportunity, submit your application by the closing date. The most qualified candidates will be invited to participate in an additional assessment. The County reserves the right to select applicants for further consideration who demonstrates the best qualification match for the job. Meeting the minimum qualifications does not guarantee further participation in selection procedures.
Apply online at: https://governmentjobs.com/careers/edcgov
Please mention you found this employment opportunity on the CareersInGovernment.com job board.
Compensation and Benefits Package
The annual salary ranges between $172,577 and $209,768
The generous and competitive benefits package includes the following:
• Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
• Optional Benefit Credits ($6,240 per year that can be used to offset employee cost or can be taken as cash)
• Life Insurance, the County provides $60,000 of policy to appointed department heads
• Long Term Disability
• 2.5% Deferred Compensation Contribution
• Sick Leave – 96 hours/year
• Vacation - Starting at 15 days/year
• Holidays - 13 days/year, with 2 floating holidays/year
• Management Leave—96 hours/year, pro-rated based on start date
• 6 months severance pay after one (1) year
Click here to view the full list of benefits.