About Our Job
The Department of Public Works delivers services that help to define and improve the quality of life in Denver. Denver Public Works is responsible for road maintenance and repair; residential trash, recycling and compost collection; design and construction of streets, bridges, public buildings, and storm and sanitary sewers; transportation and parking services; oversight and regulation of use of the public right-of-way; and implementation of the Public Works Environmental Management System (EMS).
Solid Waste Management provides weekly trash collection service, every-other-week recycling, and a voluntary, fee-based composting program for single family Denver homes, multi-family dwellings with up to seven units, municipal facilities, and Denver Public Schools. The Division's graffiti removal program removes graffiti from private and commercial property and the public right-of-way.
The Solid Waste Management team within the Department of Public Works has an opening for an Equipment Operator Specialist. Job duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Operates specialized vehicles such as automated trash trucks, including side loaders, cart loading, semi and fully automated and front loader collection vehicles.
- DriveCam installed on all vehicles
- Performs pre and post trip inspections with and without Zonar.
- Perform basic vehicle maintenance (greasing), etc.
- Single operator responsible for completing assigned route.
- Responsible for safety and knowing safe work habits
- Some vehicles drive from the left and/or right side.
- Laboring may be required while on route, including performing truck maintenance, moving containers, etc.
- Position includes bending, stooping, twisting, pushing, pulling, grasping, lifting, carrying, fine fingering, reaching, handling, manipulation, crouching, and walking.
This position requires an equipment performance test. Invitations to test will be sent via email - please monitor your email box. Interviews are held on Saturdays.About You
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Experience driving and operating a side load automated cart collection vehicle
- Ability to get in and out of vehicles and equipment multiple times per day
- Ability to work in varying conditions (inclement weather, dust, fumes, etc.)
- Knowledge of the streets within the City and County of Denver
- Ability to read and follow route maps
We recognize your time is valuable, so please do not apply unless you meet the following required minimum qualifications:
Graduation from high school or the possession of a GED, HiSET or TASC Certificate.
Three (3) years of experience as Senior Utility Worker
Two (2) years of experience as an Equipment Operator in the Career Service System
700 hours of Equipment Operator Specialist differential
Additional appropriate experience may be substituted for the minimum education requirements.
Appropriate internal or external experience can be substituted for the experience in the Career Service System.
This job requires driving. Requires a valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL "B") with appropriate endorsements at the time of application.
Licenses and certifications must be kept current as a condition of employment.About Everything Else
CJ1905 Equipment Operator Specialist
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here
Pay Range $18.37 - $26.82
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
For information about right to work, click here
for English or here