Culver City is a Charter City incorporated in 1917, and is a destination filled with outdoor cafes, unique shops and galleries opening onto pedestrian-friendly boulevards. Culver City has a dedicated staff of approximately 700+ employees with an overall operating budget of over $200 million. The City provides a full range of municipal services including Fire, Police, Community Development, Public Works, Parks, Recreation, and Community Services, and Transportation.THE POSITION
The City of Culver City is seeking qualified applicants who are interested in becoming
full-time police officers.***The City offers a competitive salary and benefits package***
A top step police officer in possession of an Advanced POST Certificate can earn up to $116,258.25. Please click on the 'Benefits' tab to view additional information regarding Compensation, Benefits and Assignments.
We are recruiting to fill multiple vacancies for the following classifications:
Your application will be considered for only one of the above classifications.
- Police Recruit (Entry Level)
- Police Officer Recruit (Pre-Service/Academy Graduate) - academy attendee or graduate
- Police Officer (Lateral) - current or recent Police Officer
POLICE RECRUIT: Must meet the above minimum requirements. POLICE OFFICER RECRUIT (PRE-SERVICE-ACADEMY GRAD): Must meet the above minimum requirements, PLUS the following:
- High School graduation or equivalent.
- Applicants must be at least 20 1/2 years of age when the eligible list is established.
- Must be a citizen of the United States or a permanent resident alien who is eligible for and has applied for citizenship.
- Possession of a valid California Class "C" driver license is required at time of appointment (hire).
- A felony conviction is disqualifying.
POLICE OFFICER (LATERAL): Must meet the above minimum requirements, PLUS the following:
- Academy attendee must be currently enrolled in a California POST Basic Academy ( Documentation from the academy verifying current enrollment must be submitted with application ) OR
- Academy graduate must have completed a California POST Basic Academy within twelve (12) months of application filing deadline date (Copy of a California POST Basic Academy completion certificate must be submitted with application ).
- Graduation from a California Police Academy recognized by POST.
- Possession of basic POST Certificate (Copy of POST Certificate must be submitted with the application).
- Must have been employed as a full-time sworn peace officer within twelve (12) months prior to application filing deadline date.
The Police Department has a complement of 109 sworn and 50 civilian personnel serving a residential population of 40,000 and an estimated daily commercial population of over 200,000.
Entry level Police Recruits in this non-sworn, at-will civilian classification attend a California Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) certified police academy to receive education and training in all aspects of law enforcement such as laws of arrest, search and seizure, crime prevention, community relations, first-aid, physical conditioning, self-defense, handling of weapons and other related duties. Upon graduation from the academy, the Police Recruit is sworn in as a Police Officer and assumes the duties of that position.EXAMINATION PROCEDURES
Applicants must receive a passing score on all examination components in order to be placed on the eligible list.Refer below to view the examination components and test schedule.
- Physical Agility (Qualifying) : Timed event measuring ability to perform the physical activities required of a Police Officer.
- Written Test (Qualifying) : To measure reading comprehension, vocabulary, and writing skills.
Note: written test may be waived for candidates who have taken the POST written exam within six (6) months of application deadline date. A minimum T-score of 42 may be deemed qualifying.
- Appraisal Interview (Weighted at 100%) : To evaluate training, experience and personal qualifications.
- Polygraph, Background Investigation (Qualifying) : To determine suitability for the position of peace officer.
- Psychological Screening & Medical Examination (Qualifying) : Standard medical exam with a vision requirement of 20/100 or better without correction and 20/20 or better with correction - each eye.
Schedule for Police Recruit AND Police Officer Recruit (Pre-Service/Academy Graduate):
Application Filing Date: Physical Agility Written Exam Appraisal Interview
3/11/2019 - 3/31/2019 4/18/19 4/18/19 5/21/19
4/1/2019 - 5/19/2019 6/6/19 6/6/19 7/10/19
Schedule for Police Officer (Lateral):
Application Filing Date: Physical Agility Appraisal Interview
3/11/2019 - 3/31/2019 4/18/19 4/18/19
4/1/2019 - 5/19/2019 6/6/19 6/6/19 ADDITIONAL INFORMATION The provisions of this job posting do not constitute a contract, express or implied, and any provisions in this posting may be modified or revoked without notice.
Continuation in the examination process and subsequent placement on the eligible list of a person convicted of a crime depends upon the nature of the conviction and the conduct of the applicant subsequent to the offense. Convictions will be evaluated on a job related basis and will not automatically disqualify someone from further consideration.Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Culver City is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against employees or applicants on the basis of race, sex, age, disability, veteran status, national origin, religion, political affiliation, or sexual orientation/identification.Conditions of Employment:
- Background/ Reference Check: Upon a conditional job offer, a live scan finger printing must be completed with acceptable results. Your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice(DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI). Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City. If you are selected as a finalist, you will be contacted to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.Upon hire, employee is subject to further reporting fromDOJ via subsequent arrest notification.
- Pre-placement medical evaluation including drug screen (select positions)
- E-Verify: Before appointment, proof of U.S. citizenship, alien residency or authorization to work in the U.S. will be required.