Senior Building Inspector $6,938 - $8,433 per month Plus excellent benefits APPLICATION DEADLINE: Apply by April 1, 2019, for first consideration Do you have a forward-thinking mindset?Do you want to work where staff is encouraged to reduce bureaucracy and take reasonable risks?Do you want to make a difference in the San Rafael community? THE POSITION:
The City of San Rafael is recruiting for a Senior Building Inspector. Under the general direction of the Chief Building Official, this position coordinates, prioritizes, schedules, and performs as a technical expert in the inspection of buildings. The Senior Building Inspector will examine plans and specifications in the enforcement of laws regulating the construction of buildings in the City of San Rafael. This position provides lead direction and technical advice to lower level inspectors and permit technicians, issues building permits and collect fees, and acts in the absence of the Chief Building Official as necessary. This position performs the following essential job duties:
To be eligible for this position you must have knowledge of:
- Analyzes, distributes and monitors the inspection workflow.
- Meets with a variety of public and private officials, individually and/or in a group setting, on inspection matters.
- Assists the Chief Building Official with development of technical/informational handouts.
- Serves as a technical expert in training staff; works with employees to improve knowledge.
- Prioritizes and schedules work, including field inspections, to Building Inspectors I and II.
- Reviews and/or inspects complex commercial projects as assigned.
- Assists with complaints and dispute resolution.
- Coordinates the work of the department with other City departments and outside agencies.
- Reads and interprets plans and discusses requirements with builders and owners.
- Investigates disabled access complaints, issues reports, and assists with resolution.
- Inspects building construction, plumbing, electrical and gas installations in residential, business, industrial and public buildings.
- Reviews and investigates building code violations, assists Code Enforcement Division.
- Performs plan reviews of residential and commercial projects as directed.
- Provides information to the public regarding building requirements.
- May be called upon to issue building permits and determine and collect fees.
- Assists with records management, including tracking of expired permits and plan retention.
To be eligible for this position you must have the ability to:
- Missions and requirements of other related departments and outside agencies.
- Federal, State and Municipal Codes, ordinances and regulations relating to building construction, plumbing and gas installations.
- Building construction safety standards.
- Principles, techniques of building inspection and engineering mathematics.
- Basic office software (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Experience with the use of permit tracking software is highly desirable.
- Accepted methods of construction.
- Building, plumbing, electrical, and mechanical codes and ordinances including State Access and Energy Code.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Prioritize and schedule the work of the Building Inspectors.
- Resolve disputes concerning code requirements and effect compliance.
- Operate a computer effectively using the department's permitting software and operate miscellaneous office equipment.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
- Communicate effectively with a wide range of citizens, other City and agency staff and private contractors both in oral and written format.
- Calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, proportions, and percentages.
- Apply concepts of basic algebra.
- Review construction plans and conduct field inspections of buildings, subdivisions, improvements, and site development projects.
- Prepare clear, concise, and accurate spreadsheets, reports, records, and correspondence.
- Maintain cooperative working relationships with engineers, architects and contractors, officials, employees, and the general public.
- Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent based on courses taken from an accredited educational institution.
- Associate of Arts degree preferred AND
- Five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in building inspection, including commercial inspection and/or plan check experience, of which at least two (2) years must be at the full journey level or above.
- Valid California driver's license is required.
- Building Inspector Certification from International Code Council (ICC) or equivalent is required.
- CASP certification is highly desirable.
- Commercial Building Inspector or Building Plans Examiner certification from ICC is desirable.
- Certification as a Commercial Building Inspector MUST be obtained within one year of appointment as a condition of continued employment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outdoor weather conditions and regularly works in inside environmental conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical pats. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but occasionally loud.
The nature of the work requires the individual to climb ladders or scaffolding in order to access and walk on rooftops. A sense of balance is required to walk on pitched rooftops. The job also requires the ability to access and enter cramped quarters such as crawl spaces located under homes, or spaces such as attic areas. Working within the crawl space may bring the employee into contact with reptiles, insects, and/or rodents. While conducting an inspection, employee may be required to walk over rough, uneven, and rock surfaces. APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS: City of San Rafael application is required.
Resumes do not substitute for the City application. Candidates should detail related education and experience on the application. The examination process may include the following application appraisal and oral board interview examination. The passing point for the oral board examination final score will be 70%. To file an application, go to: www.calopps.org
. Select "Member Agencies". Select "San Rafael". Follow this clink to apply via calopps.org:
The City of San Rafael offers an attractive compensation and benefits program. The salary range for this position is $83,256 - $101,196 Annually
, DOQ/DOE and a competitive benefits program including:
- Retirement:The City is a part of the Marin County Employee Retirement Association (MCERA) plan, which offers reciprocity between agencies in CalPERS (this is part of the 37 Act County System);
- Classic Employees - 2% @ at 55 formula, single highest year of compensation;
- PEPRA employees - hired after 1/1/13 or with 6-month break in service are eligible for a 2% at 62 formula, highest 3 year average compensation.
- Health Insurance:Full flex cafeteria plan which can be applied to a health plan or converted to cash (Employee Only - $757.96; Employee+1 - $1,433.74; Employee+Family - $1,571.09; Waive Coverage $300.00)
- Life and Long Term Disability Insurance:$5,000 basic and long-term disability is two-thirds of the salary up to $1,000 per month
- Dental Insurance:Fully paid premiums
- Vision Insurance:Fully paid employee premium
- Deferred Comp
- Annual Leave:Vacation 10 days (1-3 years of service/6.25 hours earned per month); 12 days per year; 11 holidays and 2 floating holidays.
- And more......
Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date/Time: Until filled