The City of Tacoma Public Works Department is looking for an Engineer to join the traffic engineering and transportation planning group. The successful applicant will work closely with other departments and the private development community to review complex development proposals. The incumbent will also be expected to be an integral member of the traffic engineering and transportation planning group, which is responsible for planning, coordinating, and design support for complex transportation planning, traffic engineering, and capital improvement projects. The ideal candidate will have experience in other areas of civil engineering and project management, including traffic safety, right-of-way design, and permitting regulations. The selected candidate will be hard-working and approachable, and will be able to organize and express ideas through excellent oral and written communication to a wide variety of audiences. Qualifications
Bachelor's Degree in Civil or Transportation Engineering, or closely related field and 3 years of full-time traffic or transportation engineering experience. Engineer in Training Certificate or Professional Engineer Certificate may be substituted for degree.Desired Qualifications:
Engineer in Training Certificate or Professional Engineer CertificateLICENSES, CERTIFICATES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
May require a valid Washington Drivers's License at the time of appointment with maintenance thereafter. Knowledge & Skills ANALYTICAL:
Develop methods of data collection and results interpretation. As necessary, implement results of research studies or programs with an appropriate and effective course of action based upon outcome or findings.COMMUNICATIONS:
Prepare and present effective oral and written communications for professional and general public use.LEADERSHIP:
Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with co-workers, the general public, city, county, state and federal agencies while coordinating research in support of assigned department programs. Establish, coordinate and direct work teams to accomplish assigned tasks to a successful completion.MANAGEMENT:
Plan and organize work to meet schedules and objectives.PROFESSIONALISM:
Remain current on applicable laws, codes, regulations, policies and procedures within engineering field assigned.TECHNICAL:
Proficient in engineering practices and principles within field of expertise.
A day in the life:
- Provide comprehensive traffic engineering and decision-making services to support functions related to transportation planning and private development. This will include review of design and concept plans for traffic impacts, traffic impact analysis, compliance with street standards, adherence to codes, consistency with major street plans, multi modal access, neighborhood traffic management, traffic safety, and other transportation related design elements required for compliance with City policies, standards, regulations, and ordinances;
- Provide comprehensive traffic engineering and transportation planning services related to review of work orders, street use permits, street vacations, and Appeal Hearings;
- Assist customers with permit application, review, and approval;
- Assist with capital project design, maintenance contracts and work orders, asset inventories, and grant applications; and
- Prepare technical specifications and prepare bidding documents.
Selection Process & Supplemental Information
- Experience with transportation planning and engineering, and knowledge of civil engineering standards and practices;
- Experience with applicable Federal, State, and local regulations, including ADA, SEPA and NEPA; and current literature, trends, and developments in the transportation field;
- Ability to read, understand and develop engineering plans, specifications, estimates, technicalreports;
- Ability to research, prepare, and present technical recommendations to other departments, officials, and external groups;
- Ability to effectively lead and also be a member of small to medium sized teams, which contain a wide variety of personalities and interests;
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written); and
- Ability to present technical material in front of audiences in a clear and concise manner.
Interested individuals should apply online and
attach a detailed resume and cover letter that includes job experience, major responsibilities and accomplishments related to this position. Applicants whose backgrounds most closely reflect the current needs of the department may be invited to participate in an interview. Reference checks will be conducted on final candidates and appointment is subject to passing a background check.THE COMMUNITY
Tacoma is a mid-sized urban port city that sits along the Puget Sound with a population of nearly 210,000. The third largest city in the state of Washington, it is a diverse, progressive international gateway to the Pacific Rim.
Tacoma boasts the state's highest density of art and history museums, and is home to a flourishing creative community of writers, artists, musicians, photographers, filmmakers, chefs, entrepreneurs, and small business owners who each add their unique flair to the city's vibrant commercial landscape. The iconic Tacoma Dome has endured as a high-demand venue for some of the largest names in the entertainment industry.
A magnet for families looking for affordable housing options in the Puget Sound area, Tacoma also draws those who prefer to live in a more urban downtown setting with competitively priced condos and apartments that feature panoramic mountain and water views.
Tacoma's natural beauty and proximity to the Puget Sound and Mount Rainier draws hikers, runners, bicyclists, and maritime enthusiasts to the area. Its lively social scene is infused with energy by thousands of students attending the University of Washington Tacoma, the University of Puget Sound, the Evergreen State College Tacoma campus, and Tacoma Community College, as well as a number of local trade and technical colleges. Its prime location - just 20 minutes south of the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, 30 miles north of the state capital in Olympia, and within 10 miles of the U.S. Department of Defense's premier military installation on the West Coast - only adds to Tacoma's desirability. To see a few of the great things Tacoma has to offer, view this YouTube Video! Communication from the City of Tacoma:
We primarily communicate via e-mail during the application process. E-mails from cityoftacoma.org and/or governmentjobs.com must be placed on your safe domain list to ensure that you receive notifications in a timely manner. As a precaution, you may also want to check your junk e-mail folders.
The online application system requires you to enter a substantial amount of information. Be prepared to spend an hour or more entering the required information. In order for your application materials to be considered, all information must be submitted by the closing date and time listed on this job announcement.
If you have any additional questions regarding this position, please contact the Human Resources Department at 253.591.5400 before the closing date.