Culver City is a Charter City incorporated in 1917, and is a destination filled with outdoor cafes, unique shops and galleries opening onto pedestrian-friendly boulevards. Culver City has a dedicated staff of approximately 700+ employees with an overall operating budget of over $200 million. The City provides a full range of municipal services including Fire, Police, Community Development, Public Works, Parks, Recreation, and Community Services, and Transportation. THE POSITIONLIFEGUARD/SWIM INSTRUCTOR
Please note that the job posting may close without prior notice.GENERAL DUTIES:
- Under close supervision organizes and conducts a well-balanced aquatic program at the Culver City Municipal Pool.
- Supervises pool deck, enforces regulations, prevents accidents and effects rescues.
- Teaches swimming, lifesaving and water safety classes.
- Assists with pool maintenance and operation and the testing of chemicals.
- Maintains pool records, attends staff meetings and service training programs, and performs other related duties.
- This position is frequently exposed to intense sunlight and full sunlight.
Any combination equivalent to training and experience that could likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities would be qualifying. A typical way: possess experience in supervising the use and safety of swimming pools and must be at least 17 years of age.REQUIRED CERTIFICATE(S):
The following current certificates must be submitted at time of application for full consideration: 1) CPR 2) First-Aid 3) Red-Cross Water Safety Instructor and 4) Lifeguard Training.
***YOU MUSTATTACH ALL OF THE REQUIREDCERTIFICATES TO THE ONLINE APPLICATION IN ORDER TO RECEIVE CONSIDERATION ***SCHEDULE:
This is a part-time position, will work approximately 4-40 hours per week. Applicants must be available to work evenings and weekends. Vacation is not permitted during the entire summer.EXAMINATION PROCEDURES
Suitability for the position will be evaluated with a performance test and an oral appraisal interview. The performance test will measure the ability to perform life saving techniques. This test will be qualifying, i.e., it will determine who will be invited to the oral appraisal interview. The interview will evaluate training, experience and personal qualifications and will be weighted at 100%. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
The provisions of this job posting does not constitute a contract, express or implied, and any provisions in this posting may be modified or revoked without notice. Continuation in the examination process and subsequent placement on the eligible list of a person convicted of a crime depends upon the nature of the conviction and the conduct of the applicant subsequent to the offense. Convictions will be evaluated on a job related basis and will not automatically disqualify someone from further consideration.EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- The City of Culver City is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against employees or applicants on the basis of race, sex, age, disability, veteran status, national origin, religion, political affiliation, or sexual orientation/identification.
- Background/ Reference Check: Upon a conditional job offer, a live scan finger printing must be completed with acceptable results. Your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice(DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI). Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City. If you are selected as a finalist, you will be contacted to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.Upon hire, employee is subject to further reporting fromDOJ via subsequent arrest notification.
- Pre-placement medical evaluation including drug screen (select positions)
- E-Verify: Proof of U.S. citizenship, alien residency or authorization to work in the U.S. will be required at time of appointment.