About Our Job
About the General Services
General Services facilitates Denver's success by efficiently managing over 6 million square feet in 135 city buildings. General Services manages over $330 million in city procurement spending, oversees over $28 million in annual utility costs, and focuses on the advancement of citywide sustainability, energy efficiency programs and business support services.
For more information visit the General Services website at https://www.denvergov.org/content/denvergov/en/generalservices.html
About Facilities Management
Facilities Management is responsible for building management and maintenance, including predictive/preventative maintenance and work order processing. FM serves the needs of the City's Agencies for facility maintenance and management to include all expenditure tracking. The staff is responsible for providing a full range of building services, some of which include: Plumbing, heating/cooling, electrical, painting, maintenance of doors/window/walls/ceilings/floors custodial
We are responsible for maintaining 8,000,000+ square feet of building space in 128 buildings.
The Facilities Management Division within General Services is currently seeking a Building Engineer to support and assist various facilities across the City and County of Denver. In this role, you will perform full performance level work in the daily operation, maintenance, preventative maintenance and repair for facilities, including utilizing automated control systems to monitor, adjust and control various electrical and mechanical building systems. You will also be responsible for the daily operation of, and periodic preventative maintenance on, a facility's mechanical, electrical, HVAC, and plumbing systems, including: air handling units; domestic cool and hot water systems; heating and chill water systems; sump and sewage systems; diesel generators; and fire protection, pump and detection systems.
Building Engineers are the primary technical staff for facility maintenance, emergency maintenance, minor electrical and plumbing testing and repairs in the facility. The ideal candidate will be proficient with Building Automation Systems/Direct Digital Control Systems. Overall competency with computers and associated business applications is highly desired.
There will be daily interaction with tenants ranging from customers to employees of various Agencies across the City and County of Denver. As such having strong customer service and interpersonal skills will be crucial to success for this individual.
The Building Engineer:
- Installs, maintains, and repairs equipment and machinery which may include some fabrication.
- Inspects buildings, grounds and equipment for unsafe or malfunctioning systems and conditions.
- Assists with installation and modification of building equipment systems.
- Oversees or performs repair, testing and troubleshooting of building equipment systems.
- Evaluates and recommends equipment and service upgrades.
- Assists in coordinating maintenance efforts with outside contractors and technicians for contracted work.
- Orders parts and supplies as required, and maintains stock and inventory control.
- Maintains records and prepares reports; and, estimates materials, labor, and equipment costs.
- Observes all common safety practices.
- Performs snow removal duties if applicable.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
NOTE: If you have a valid journey certification or journey license, please attach to your application.About You
Our ideal candidate will have:
- The ability to service multiple facilities across the City and County of Denver.
- Professional experience in troubleshooting and repairing large building HVAC systems in facilities exceeding 100,000 sq. ft. in size
- Experience in operating Setpoint/Niagara building automation systems.
- Current universal chlorofluorocarbon (CFC) License
- BOMI designation such as Systems Maintenance Administrator (SMA) or Systems Maintenance Technician (SMT)
- IFMA credential such as Facilities Management Profession (FMP) or Sustainability Facility Professional (SFP)
- LEED Credential
- IREM or BOAC designation
- Previous professional experience utilizing Automated Work Order systems
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
About Everything Else
- Education requirement: Graduation from high school or the possession of a GED, HiSET or TASC Certificate.
- Experience Requirement: Three (3) years of experience in building operations, engineering and equipment and systems maintenance including experience with Building Automation Systems (BAS).
- Education/Experience Equivalency: Completion of College or Technical School coursework in Building Operator Program, Engineering Technical Training, or a professional designation in facilities management may be substituted for one year of the required experience.
- License/Certifications: This job requires driving. Requires a valid Driver's License at the time of application.
- Requires either a valid journey certificate of qualification as required in trades specialty issued by the City and County of Denver or a valid journey license issued by the State of Colorado by the end of probationary period.
CJ2732 Building Engineer
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here
Pay Range $23.99 - $35.03
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
For information about right to work, click here
for English or here