Description Note: This recruitment schedule was amended on February 15, 2019 to extend the Final Filing Date. This recruitment has been changed to "Continuous."
The Aging and Adult Services division of San Mateo County Health is seeking a qualified In-Home Supportive Services Social Worker II/III.
Social Workers provide a wide variety of welfare services in areas such as information and referral, protective services,out-of-home services, health related services,chore services,and other welfare services within Health and the Human Services Agency.
The current vacancy is in the In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) Program
that provides in-home care for persons who cannot safely remain in their own home without such assistance. The recipients of IHSS are aged, blind and/or disabled and eligible for Medi-Cal. Disabled and/or blind minor children may also be eligible for IHSS. The Social Worker will make a home visit to determine eligibility for the program and to conduct an assessment to determine a range of service hours for particular tasks. The IHSS recipient or guardian is the IHSS employer and is responsible for hiring and supervising a provider for the care they receive. The Social Worker will travel throughout the County to conduct home visits, attend meetings and perform other duties of the position. The Social Worker will work in either the San Mateo or South San Francisco, CA Aging and Adult Services Office.
This IHSSSocial Worker
will conduct intake and/or on-goingactivities forIHSS recipients. Some of those activitiesinclude:
- Conduct initial IHSS assessments using a detailed State assessment tool.
- Complete necessary documents, paperwork, and work within different information technology systems.
- Conduct annual reassessments.
- Educate, support, and perform administrative duties for IHSS recipients and care providers to understand/comply with program regulations.
- Provide education, outreach, and community resources information.
- Participate in quality improvement efforts.
- Collaborate with quality assurance team to ensure proper adherence to regulations.
- Engage in interdisciplinary team meetings or other activities to support San Mateo County's vision for integrated services.
- Maintain oversight of case management needs for a caseload.
- Collaborate and facilitate service with care providers and other partner agencies.
The ideal candidate
will possess the following:
- Master's degree in Social Work.
- Ability to independently develop and implement sound case plans of action.
- Experience balancingclient-centered care coordination and the accompanying administrative documentation.
- Familiarity in implementing program regulations.
- Superior organizational skills to manage a large caseload and related documents.
- Proficient computer skills to use several independent data base systems as well as Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Excellent writing/documentation skills.
- Fluency in Cantonese, Mandarin, Tagalog, Russian or Spanish is preferred.
For information on the In-Home Supportive Services Program please visit: http://www.smchealth.org/ihssSALARY
Social Worker II: $5,288.40 - $6,610.93/month
Social Worker III: $6,238.27 - $7,794.80/monthSocial Workers
provide highly skilled, intensive casework services to individuals and their families and provide casework consultation within the department and to outside agencies. Incumbents of positions at this level work with minimal supervision and are expected to have acquired the high degree of assessment skills required to perform care coordination and referral tasks in complex casework areas. Lead supervisory responsibilities may be assigned as circumstances dictate.NOTE
:The list created from this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies, including classified, unclassified, term, full-time, part-time, and extra help vacancies.Unclassified positions are at-will and not covered by the San Mateo County Civil Service Rules. Although the current Aging and Adult Services position is in IHSS, this list may also be used to fill positions in other programs such as Adult Protective Services (APS), Multipurpose Senior Services Program (MSSP) and Linkages; as well as positions in the San Mateo Medical Center and Human Services Agency.
California class C driver license or equivalent.Education:
Social Worker II:
Satisfactory completion of 30 semester units of social welfare and/or appropriate behavioral science courses.Social Worker III:
Satisfactory completion of 36 semester units of social welfare and/or appropriate behavioral science courses.Experience:
Social Worker II:
Two years experience performing duties comparable to those of a Social Worker I or higher in San Mateo County. Substitution
: Possession of a Master's Degree in Social Work from an accredited school of Social Work.Social Worker III:
Three years experience performing duties comparable to those of a Social Worker II or higher in San Mateo County. Substitution:
Possession of a Master's Degree in Social Work from an accredited school of Social Work and two years experience performing duties comparable to those of a Social Worker II or higher in San Mateo County. Knowledge of:
- Principles of individual, group, and community behavior.
- Scope and nature of current problems in the field of social work.
- Social work methods and procedures.
- Social service programs, and State and Federal legislation.
- Techniques and principles of interviewing and counseling and problem solving methodology.
- Social and community resources and awareness of how to identify, develop, and properly utilize these resources.
- Theories of human behavior and their practical applications.
- Psycho-social, medical, and economic interrelationships that result in individual and social abnormalities.
- Philosophy and function of social work systems.
- Appropriate utilization of a variety of social resources.
- Laws, rules and regulations governing the operation of social work agencies, specifically those relating to the specific areas of assignment.
- Understand and implement the agency's programs, policies and procedures.
- Implement caseload management techniques.
- Establish rapport with clients and their families in working toward solutions to their problems.
- Analyze problems and needs of clients and develop courses of action which lead toward constructive solutions.
- Speak and write effectively.
- Establish effective working relationships with other employees.
- Formulate, develop and implement treatment plans.
- Work effectively with persons differing in value systems, ethnicity, cultural backgrounds and psychopathologies.
- Work with a variety of social resources to plan and coordinate services to individual clients.
- Act as a consultant and trainer to other social service staff.
- Prepare clear and concise reports.
Application/Examination Anyone may apply.
A supplemental application form must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form. Resume or CV will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire.
The examination process will consist of an application screening (pass/fail) based on the candidates' application and responses to the supplemental questions. Candidates who pass the application screening will be invited to a panel interview (weight: 100%). Depending on the number of applicants, an application appraisal of education and experience may be used in place of other examinations or further evaluation of work experience may be conducted to group applicants by level of qualification . All applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the examination. All examinations will be given in San Mateo County, California and applicants must participate at their own expense.IMPORTANT
: Applications for this position will only be accepted online
. If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the "Apply Online"
button above or below. If you are not on the County's website, please go to https://jobs.smcgov.org
to apply.RECRUITMENTSCHEDULEApply immediately. This is a continuous recruitment and is open until filled. Selections may be made at any time within the process. Recruitment Schedule for First Round: First Round Application Filing Deadline:
February 15, 2019First Round Application Screening:
February 21, 2019First Round Panel Interviews:
March 13 and/or 14, 2019At the County of San Mateo, we take pride in the way our employees bring together their diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to serve our community's needs. The County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
HR Contact: Kristin Herman (012519) (Social Worker II/III - G097/G096)