About Our Job
The Department of Public Works delivers services that help to define and improve the quality of life in Denver. Denver Public Works is responsible for road maintenance and repair; residential trash, recycling and compost collection; design and construction of streets, bridges, public buildings, and storm and sanitary sewers; transportation and parking services; oversight and regulation of use of the public right-of-way; and implementation of the Public Works Environmental Management System (EMS).
Solid Waste provides weekly trash collection service, every-other-week recycling, and a voluntary, fee-based composting program for single family Denver homes, multi-family dwellings with up to seven units, municipal facilities, and Denver Public Schools. The Division's graffiti removal program removes graffiti from private and commercial property and the public right-of-way.
The Solid Waste Management team has an opening for an Equipment Operator. Job duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Operates light to medium sized industrial equipment while performing construction, maintenance, and other work in combination with assigned vehicle's operation or mode of function and ensures the safe and efficient operation of equipment and a variety of work related tools.
- Inspects vehicle for loose parts, damaged or worn tires, proper air pressure in tires, and other items affecting its safe operation and completes a pre/post trip inspection as defined by federal guidelines.
- Observes on-board instruments while operating equipment and takes routine corrective action if malfunctions are indicated.
- Performs manual labor in construction, maintenance, or other work related duties when not driving equipment to or operating it at the work site.
- Assists in preventative maintenance of equipment by washing and servicing vehicles with water, oil, and fuel, performs basic maintenance, and makes minor running repairs.
- Keeps trip records and logs, reports defects in the vehicles operations, accidents, traffic violations, or damage to the vehicle.
- Responds to public inquiries in a courteous manner and provides information within the area of assignment.
- Participates in snow removal duties.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Experience driving and operating a rear load trash truck
- Knowledge of the streets within the City and County of Denver
- Ability to read and follow route maps
We recognize your time is valuable, so please do not apply unless you meet the following required minimum qualifications:
Graduation from high school or the possession of a GED, HiSET or TASC Certificate.
Equipment Operator differential 700 hours
1 year of experience as a Senior Utility Worker in Career Service System
1 year of experience servicing equipment at the Equipment Operator level or higher
2 years of experience as a Utility Worker in the Career Service System
1 year of experience operating equipment at the Equipment Operator level or higher.
Additional appropriate experience may be substituted for the minimum education requirements.
Appropriate internal or external experience can be substituted for the experience in the Career Service System.
This job requires driving. Requires a valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL "B") with appropriate endorsements at the time of application.
Licenses and certifications must be kept current as a condition of employment.About Everything Else
CJ1904 Equipment Operator
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here
Pay Range $17.57 - $25.65
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
For information about right to work, click here
for English or here