This recruitment will remain open fortwo months.Applications will be reviewed every two weeks.The first review period will be 4/29/2019.
The Bureau of Environmental Services is seeking interns for their Engineering Services Group!
The Bureau of Environmental Services' Engineering Services Group works to serve the community by managing the analysis, planning, design and construction of capital projects to protect, expand and improve our system's infrastructure to protect public health and watersheds.
The Engineering Services group has openings for interns in the Construction section and the Systems Development section. Please see "Additional information"below for more details of job responsibilitiesforeach section. Compensation:
$14.56 - $17.66 per hour based on year in schoolWork Schedule:
Flexible hours between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM; part-time and full-time internship opportunities availableNote:
This is a temporary Engineering Trainee position with a maximum of 1,400 hours in acalendar year.
The Bureau of Environmental Services manages Portland's wastewater and stormwater infrastructure to protect public health and the environment. BES is a mission-driven, high-performance organization, leading the City in preserving and restoring the health of Portland's watersheds. More information about the Bureau: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bes/To Qualify The following minimum qualifications are required for this position:
- Knowledge of standard office practices and procedures for maintaining and setting up both manual and electronic files; basic methods and procedures for archiving and retrieving map and drawing information; and data gathering and research techniques.
- Ability to learn and operate a variety of computer software programs to record and analyze data, maintain technical files, and prepare maps, plans, records, graphics, documents and reports.
The Recruitment Process Applicants must submit the following to be considered for the internship:
- Must be a student enrolled in a trade school training program, college or university undergraduate or graduate program
- Professional Online Resume
- Answer to the Supplemental Questions
- Enrollment Status Verification (unofficial or official transcript, class schedule, etc)
- Cover Letter (Optional)
- Your resumeand answers to the supplemental questionswill be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- Your answers to the supplemental questions should include details describing your education, trainingand/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects yourqualifications for each of the numbered items in the "To Qualify" sectionof this announcement.
- Your resume should support the details described in your answers to the supplemental questions.
- Ifyou are requesting Veteran's Preference, as identified below, please describein your answers any transferrable skills obtained during your militaryservice and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualificationsunder the "To Qualify" section above
All completed applications for this position must be submitted no later thanJuly 1, 2019. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted
. If you are requesting Veteran's Preference
, attach a copy of your DD214 / DD215 and / or Veteran's Administration Letter Stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veteran's Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment you apply for.Veteran's Preference documentation must be submitted with your application materials.
Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at time of application.
It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply. If you wish to identify yourself as an individual with a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and will be requesting an accommodation, the requests must be made to the Analyst(s) named below No Later Than the Closing Date of This Announcement.An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action EmployerAdditional Information Section Overview with Job Duties Construction:
Assists Construction Services staff with all tasks associated with annually delivering ~$80M of capital improvement projects including sanitary and storm sewer rehabilitation, storm capacity improvements including green street construction, stream restoration and rehabilitation including improving fish passage through replacement of undersized culverts and various special projects generally associated with implementing best practices for construction management.
• Assisting construction managers in review and development of design plans and specifications for bidding with a focus on constructability.
• Coordinating through the BES Construction Manager with other City staff in bidding of projects, analysis of bids, recommendations to award, and pre-construction conferences with successful bidders.
• Assisting Construction Services staff in effective construction management with a focus on collaboration with City and Contractor staff, cost, schedule and document management of active construction projects, occasional site inspections to assist in monitoring quality and safe practices and the use of web-based construction management systems.
• Taking part in special projects to research national construction management best practices with the goal to evaluate and report on BES performance relative to these best practices. Systems Development:
This internship focuses on the design and construction of sanitary sewer extension project. Intern will learn to apply basic engineering principles to complete a basic design of a gravity sanitary sewer by completing calculations, drawings and details, and cost estimates and project schedules within the Bureau of Environmental Services (BES) project management framework. There is also an opportunity for this position to assist with the design of stormwater management facilities for transportation projects within the City. Intern will interact with many employees within BES, Portland Bureau of Transportation (PBOT), and other bureaus as well as sewer customers to be served by the extension.
• Completing project engineering and project management for a new sanitary sewer project for nonconforming sewer connection conversions.
• Providing reviews and technical support for the larger capital sewer projects that remedy nonconforming sewers.
• Providing technical support and customer service for City of Portland residents who have nonconforming sewer issues.
• Researching historical records and databases to determine existing routes of service.
• Assisting in the design of stormwater management systems in support of PBOT projects through the Inter-agency (IA) group.Questions?
Closing Date/Time: 7/1/2019 11:59 PM Pacific