This recruitment will remain open fortwo months.Applications will be reviewed every two weeks.The first review period will be 4/29/2019.
The Bureau of Environmental Services is seeking interns for theirWastewater Group!
The Bureau of Environmental Services' Wastewater Group is responsible for the critical infrastructure that collects and reclaims wastewater and stormwater. This group monitors, operates and maintains 2 wastewater treatment plants, 98 pump stations, 3,040 miles of pipe, 2,506 stormwater water quality facilities and 360 properties.
The Wastewater Group has openings for interns in the Collection System section, the Maintenance section, the Operations Section, and the Support Services - Work & Asset Management Section. Please see "Additional information"below for more details of job responsibilitiesforeach section. Compensation:
$14.56 - $17.66 per hour based on year in schoolWork Schedule:
Flexible hours between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM; part-time and full-time internship opportunities availableNote:
This is a temporary Community Service Aide (CSA) II position with a maximum of 1,400 hours in acalendar year.
The Bureau of Environmental Services manages Portland's wastewater and stormwater infrastructure to protect public health and the environment. BES is a mission-driven, high-performance organization, leading the City in preserving and restoring the health of Portland's watersheds. More information about the Bureau: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bes/To Qualify The following minimum qualifications are required for this position:
- Ability to learn the processes, techniques and all applicable safety practices, tools, and materials of wastewater collection and treatment.
- Skill in creating and maintaining records; researching and providing recommendations; reviewing and documenting processes and/or procedures.
The Recruitment Process Applicants must submit the following to be considered for the internship:
- Must be a student enrolled in a trade school training program, college or university undergraduate or graduate program
- Professional Online Resume
- Answer to the Supplemental Questions
- Enrollment Status Verification (unofficial or official transcript, class schedule, etc)
- Cover Letter (Optional)
- Your resumeand answers to the supplemental questionswill be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- Your answers to the supplemental questions should include details describing your education, trainingand/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects yourqualifications for each of the numbered items in the "To Qualify" sectionof this announcement.
- Your resume should support the details described in your answers to the supplemental questions.
- Ifyou are requesting Veteran's Preference, as identified below, please describein your answers any transferrable skills obtained during your militaryservice and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualificationsunder the "To Qualify" section above
All completed applications for this position must be submitted no later thanJuly1, 2019. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted
. If you are requesting Veteran's Preference
, attach a copy of your DD214 / DD215 and / or Veteran's Administration Letter Stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veteran's Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment you apply for.Veteran's Preference documentation must be submitted with your application materials.
Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at time of application.
It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply. If you wish to identify yourself as an individual with a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and will be requesting an accommodation, the requests must be made to the Analyst(s) named below No Later Than the Closing Date of This Announcement.An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer Additional Information Section Overiew with Job Duties Collection System:
Intern will become familiar with the activities of an engineering section in the Bureau of Environmental Services (BES) including condition assessment of assets, evaluating maintenance options for assets and evaluation rehabilitation options for assets. Intern will also become familiar with the concept of Asset Management principles touching on likelihood of failure, consequence of failure and risk assessments of assets.
• Assisting with field work performed by engineering staff by taking measurements and recording those measurements, rudimentary surveys and condition assessments from visual observation
• Evaluating condition of stormwater facilities to determine level of maintenance needed by working with Stormwater Operation and Maintenance (O&M) staff
• Reviewing Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) inspections for accuracy of data entry and assembling documentation for asset engineering evaluations of structurally and/or operationally deficient assets
• Updating the database of CCTV tapes of sewers needing repairs and denoting this in the Bureau's Hansen database
• Converting VHS tapes to digital formats Maintenance:
Student intern will assist in the several critical work items that the Maintenance Division has, mainly focused on documenting critical work processes and improving reliability-centered maintenance and operations practices.
• Preparing Pump Station System Operations Plans for several complex pump station/force main systems such as Ankeny, Sullivan, Inverness and SICSO (includes as-built research, reviewing O&M documents, evaluating system operations, preparing and reviewing technical documents)
• Updating the Treatment Plant's Operations and Maintenance Plan and Asset Management Guide (reviewing and updating treatment system design and processes, updating maps and process schematics, preparing technical documents, incorporating project information)
• Evaluating and documenting the Automation Network
• Assisting with performing field investigation work and research on mechanical/electrical equipment and systems; as well as obtaining/reviewing as-built drawings.
• Documenting critical work process for the pump station program, and preparing Standard Operating Procedures Operations:
Student Interns typically assist Operations staff with seasonal maintenance and a variety of special projects at the Columbia Boulevard and Tryon Creek Treatment Plants.
• Assisting in the cleaning and repairs of dry weather, wet weather, and secondary clarifiers that are taken out of service for annual inspections and maintenance
• Using hoses, hose monitors, and hand tools
• Assisting with the replacement of aeration basin diffuser membranes
• Assisting in general grounds and facilities cleaning, using brooms, shovels and other appropriate hand tools
• On the job training; learning and gaining experience in wastewater process area operations
• Actual hands-on operator experience under the supervision of journey level operators
• Assisting in operator task documentation creation and editing Support Services - Work & Asset Management
The intern will help provide support for BES Wastewater Work & Asset Management System, with a particular focus on the work and asset management software, Oracle WAM (Synergen). Areas of focus include project planning, research and data gathering, data population, data quality review, business process review and documentation.
• Researching to determine and populate data for BES Oracle Work and Asset Management System (Synergen) such as for asset systems, asset location, and asset expected useful life
• Synergen data quality standards review and documentation such as for asset attribution, work order finishing, asset condition assessment and asset failure tracking
• Synergen business process review and update such as for asset runtime, project records, backlog clean-up, direct stock demand, catalog record creation and maintenance
• Synergen data clean-up such as for bill of materials consolidation and document attachmentsQuestions?
(503) 823-6821Closing Date/Time: 7/1/2019 11:59 PM Pacific