Distinguishing Features of the Class
Under general supervision, to instruct certified swimming instruction programs and safeguard swimming pool/aquatic center patrons in various water areas and depths of aquatic facilities, and to ensure proper use of pool area. Approximate Employment Duration :
Up to 30 hours per week. 120 days appointments from May until August. Deadline :
Applicationsareaccepted until such time a sufficient number of qualified applications is received to fill the positions. Acceptable Experience and Training
- Must be 16 years of age: AND
- Must have the ability to obtain by date of employment, a current certificationin American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor (WSI), First Aid, and Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR).
Candidates accepting a conditional offer of employment as a Swim Instructor with the City of Des Moines will have the opportunity to be offeredto take the Water Safety Instructor training class through the City of Des Moines in June. If you teach five out of the six swim lesson sessions, including the evening classes, you will be reimbursed $100 for the Water Safety Instructor training class at the end of summer. If you teach ALL six of the swim lesson sessions, including the evening classes, you will be reimbursed $175 at the end of the summer. Alternatively, Water Safety Instructor classes are offered year round throughout the community. Required Special Qualifications
Examples of Essential Work (Illustrative Only)
- Candidates are required to possess aWater Safety Instructor (WSI) Certification through the American Red Cross. WSI and CPR certifications must be valid through September 15, 2019.
- Requires satisfactory criminal, sex offender and if applicable driving record background checks.
- Passing a pre-employment physical and drug screen is required prior to employment.
- Instructs various levels of the Swimming and Water Safety program curriculum for American Red Cross Parent and Child Aquatics, Preschool Aquatics, Learn to Swim and other Red Cross Water Safety courses and presentations;
- Uses course materials effectively, cardio- pulmonary resuscitation and other first aid measures;
- Adapts teaching approaches to the ages, experiences and abilities of participants so they can meet course objectives;
- Communicates regularly with participants and their parents, as appropriate, to ensure they are aware of progress;
- Maintains personal health, fitness and endurance;
- Enforces rules governing the conduct of persons at the swimming pools;
- Performs cleaning duties related to opening, operating and closing the facilities.;
- Attend required in-service meetings;
- Recognizes emergency situations and reacts appropriately in a quick and calm manner;
- Recognizes potentially hazardous conditions and intercedes to correct such conditions;
- Assists with completion of course records and reports; and performs other related work as assigned.
Closing Date/Time: 6/14/2019 5:00 PM Central