The Position This is a limited continuous filing exam. Next filing cut-offs are at 5:00 pm on:5/8/19 and 6/5/19 (final cut-off)
A Geographic Information Systems Analyst III leads, plans, schedules, and oversees the work of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Analysts Level I/II performing advanced, specialized work of a professional nature, while performing similar duties as those being led; ensures completion of tasks in accordance with established policies and procedures; communicates policies, procedures and job expectations; and provides training to staff. Incumbents utilize skills that require technical expertise and an understanding of complex analytical procedures and systems processes, including analysis of complex business processes and requirements in the operation of GIS. These duties include work in the areas of system architecture, data maintenance and conversion workflows, complex GIS analysis, GIS application development, GIS server/database administration, and project management. Watch to Explore your career with purpose Examples of Knowledge and AbilitiesKnowledge Of:
- Automated drafting and mapping tools and programs including ESRI-based GIS software and its applications, and related programming languages
- Principles and practices of Geographic Information Systems, cartography, and engineering drafting including map projections and scales
- Principles and practices of leadership, mentoring, and supervision
- Project management processes and techniques
- Methods of long-term strategic technical planning
- Principles and techniques of software and systems quality assurance and control
- Principles and practices of technical problem solving
- Methods of long-term technology assessment and deployment
- Team dynamics and team building
- Principles, practices and techniques of providing customer service
- Principles and practices of producing effective project and technical documentation
- Practices of effective communication of technical issues to user and client community
- Pertinent local, County, State and Federal statutes, laws, ordinances and rules as they apply to mapping requirements
Employment Qualifications Minimum Qualifications:
- Perform complex analytical tabular and spatial queries
- Integrate complex disparate spatial and tabular databases
- Recognize problems and develop recommendations and solutions
- Work effectively with clients, users and senior managers
- Promote and maintain a team environment
- Coordinate activities with vendors, clients, and staff
- Effectively communicate both verbally and in writing
- Understand highly complex geographic information systems and issues
- Integrate information technology systems
A Bachelor's Degree or higher from an accredited college or university in Geographic Information Systems, Geography, Cartography, Civil Engineering, Computer Science, Information Technology, or other field closely related to the intent of the class.AND
Three (3) years full-time paid technical and/or professional experience operating, maintaining, and implementing automated mapping and/or Geographic Information Systems.Note:
Professional experience that demonstrates the ability to perform analytical duties above the required three years of full-time experience in the fields of Geographic Information Systems, Geography, Cartography, Civil Engineering, Computer Science, Information Technology may be substituted for the required education on a year-for-year basis (2080 hours paid experience equal one year of education).Note:
If the word "experience" is referenced in the minimum qualifications, it means full-time paid experience unless the minimum qualification states that volunteer experience is acceptable. Part-time paid experience may be accumulated and pro-rated to meet the total experience requirements.Note:
If the minimum qualifications include an educational or certificate/license requirement, applicants must submit proof of requirements with the application. Failure to submit proof of requirements may result in disqualification from the examination. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. For guidelines on submitting acceptable proof of educational requirements, please click here or speak to someone in our office before the cut-off date listed in this notice.GENERAL QUALIFICATIONSCriminal History and Background Checks:
The County may access criminal history information on candidates who have accepted a conditional offer of appointment for this class consistent with the provisions of Board of Supervisors Resolution No. 82-602, Personnel Policies and Procedures B-5, and applicable federal and state laws. The County shall not consider for employment any candidate who has been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor that relates to or impacts the candidate's ability to perform the job duties of this class unless it is determined that mitigating circumstances exist. For purposes of accessing criminal history information, the candidate will be fingerprinted. A subsequent arrest notification may be obtained.
The County may also conduct a background check on the candidate prior to appointment to a position within this class. The background check may include personal and professional reference checks, credit history checks where authorized by Labor Code section 1024.5, Social Security Number verification, professional license/registration verification, military service information and driving history. Information obtained in the course of this background check will be considered by the appointing authority in the selection process. In obtaining such information, the County will comply with applicable consent and disclosure practices in the Fair Credit Reporting Act and the California Investigative Consumer Reporting Agencies Act.License Requirement:
A valid California Driver License, Class C or higher, may be required at the time of appointment. Failure to obtain or maintain the appropriate California Driver License may constitute cause for personnel action in accordance with Civil Service Rules or applicable bargaining agreement. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.Physical Requirements:
Some positions in this class may require the incumbent to be able to:
- Distinguish between different colors
- Lift equipment that weighs up to 50 pounds
Individuals who do not meet these requirements due to disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.Working Conditions:
Some positions in this class may require the incumbent to:
- Work weekends, holidays, and non-routine hours
- Travel occasionally
The probationary period for this classification is twelve(12)
months. Application and Testing Information APPLICATION
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM
on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply.County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay ServiceEmail EmployOffice@Saccounty.net Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the final cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response.Note:
Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the final cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed , therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email. Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs:
Closing Date/Time: 6/5/2019 5:00 PM Pacific