Priority Screening Date: Wednesday, May 15, 2019
Final Screening Date: Open Until Filled Summary of Position
The Health Department's Public Health Bureau is seeking to fill vacant Public Health Program Manager II positions. There are currently two (2) openings, one in Communicable Disease Prevention and Control and one in Chronic Disease Injury Prevention. Within the assigned Public Health Bureau division, the Public Health Program Manager II will manage, plan, organize, prioritize, coordinate and direct multiple complex public health programs and services.
The Communicable Disease Prevention and Control includes programs such as tuberculosis control, communicable disease control, public health emergency preparedness, HIV prevention and care, immunization services, vital records, medical marijuana, epidemiology and surveillance.
The Chronic Disease Injury Prevention includes programs such as tobacco control, injury and violence prevention, teen pregnancy prevention, active living, chronic disease prevention, health education and outreach, Women, Infants and Children services, nutrition education investigative research support, program evaluation, employee wellness and facility inspections.
A list of eligible candidates resulting from this recruitment may be used to fill current and future full-time or temporary vacancies as they rise. Examples of Duties THE IDEAL CANDIDATE Will have a proven track record demonstrating the knowledge, skills and abilities: Knowledge of:
Skill and Ability to:
- Knowledge of principles and practices of management including budgeting, program management and office practices.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of personnel management including effective supervision and performance management.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of public health and health administration.
- Organizational principles and procedures of public health programs; such as communicable disease, public health statistics, health education, nutrition.
Examples of Experience/Education/Training Examples of Experience/Education/Training:
- Plan, organize, coordinate and implement public health programs and services on a comprehensive Countywide level to meet community needs.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing, with a wide variety of audiences.
- Prepare, analyze, evaluate and drawl logical conclusions from data, select appropriate alternatives and implement recommendations.
- Integrate a variety of activities and services to achieve goals, objectives and priorities.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of Federal, State and County employees, public officials and member of the public.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
Any combination of training, education and/or experience which provides the knowledge, skills and abilities and required conditions of employment listed above is qualifying. An example of a way these requirements might be acquired is: Education:
Bachelor's degree in Public Health Nursing, Health Education, Public Health, Epidemiology, Business Administration or directly related field.
A Master's Degree in Public Health or related field may substitute for one year of the required experience.
Four (4) years of progressively responsible professional public health experience, two years of which include experience in at the supervisory level.
For complete information see the class specification/job description on our website at:
https://www.co.monterey.ca.us/pages/hr/class-specs/14C48.pdf Additional Information
APPLICATION & SELECTION PROCEDURES
To Apply: Submit the following to the Monterey County Health Department, Human Resources Division, 1270 Natividad Road, Salinas, CA 93906:
Priority Screening Date: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 Final Filing Date: Open Until FilledPlease be aware if the application form, responses to supplemental questions, and copies of Certificates are not submitted timely with other required application materials, the application will be removed from further consideration and not be considered further. Or apply on-line at
- Monterey County Employment Application
- Response to supplemental questions
Application materials will be competitively evaluated. Those applicants who are determined to be most appropriately qualified will be invited to participate further in the process. To further assess applicant's possession of required qualifications, this examination may include an oral examination, pre-exam exercise, performance exercise, performance exam, and/or written examination. For more information or to receive application materials, contact the Health Department Human Resources Division at 831-755-7394. SPECIAL NOTE:
BENEFITS: The County offers an excellent benefits package (X Bargaining Unit)
- If you believe you possess a disability that would require test accommodation, please call the Health Department Human Resources Office at (831) 755-4394.
- Employment is contingent upon acceptable documentation verifying identity and authorization for employment in the United States.
- If you are hired into this classification in a temporary position, your salary will be hourly, and you will not be eligible for the benefits listed above.
The County of Monterey offers a premium benefit package. A summary of benefits for this position can be viewed on the County website. This information is intended to provide you with a general summary of benefits available and is not legally binding.
For additional information please visit Unit X's benefit summary sheet at:
Closing Date/Time: Continuous
Please mention you found this employment opportunity on the CareersInGovernment.com job board.