Nature Based Activity Specialist/Leader (Temporary Part-Time) Job Requisition Number
COA079393 Position Number
T93005 Job Type
Part-Time Division Name
Parks & Recreation Minimum Qualifications
Activity Specialist (Salary: $15.00 per hour): Must be at least 18 years of age with a High School diploma/ GED , and no experience required.
Activity Leader (Salary: $15.75 per hour): Must be at least 18 years of age with a High School diploma/ GED and six (6) months related experience. Notes to Applicants
The Nature Based Activity Specialist is a temporary/seasonal staff position scheduled to work between 20 and 40 hours per week in an After School or Summer Camp program setting.
- Successful applicants must demonstrate strong leadership, exhibit creative thinking, perform good judgment, and have excellent communication skills.
- Applicants must also possess reliability, trustworthiness, and be safety conscious.
- Austin Nature & Science Center
- Camacho Activity Center
- Zilker Botanical Gardens
- Tasks involve bending, lifting, walking, carrying or using a force equal to lifting up to fifty (50) pounds.
- Must be physically and mentally able to work with participants adapting to a variety of conditions such as daily walking, hiking, climbing, standing, balancing, kneeling, stooping, running, bending, crawling, swimming, stretching and reaching in rugged terrain.
- Tolerate loud noise associated with enthusiasm and excitement.
- Ability to work outside in all types of weather and/or inclement conditions, and in confined spaces.
If selected as a finalist, must have CPR / AED and First Aid certifications within thirty (30) days of hire date.
Resume will not be accepted in lieu of a complete online application.
- Detailed, complete Employment Application is required to help better evaluate the applicant's qualifications - minimum and preferred as noted on the job posting.
- Detailed, complete Employment Application (employment dates must include month and year) will be used to determine salary if the applicant is the top candidate that is selected for this position.
- Applicants must include on their Employment Application all experience (work and/or volunteer) related to this job posting - up to 10 yrs or more.
- Verification of employment history dates on resume should match online Employment Application - Statements such as "See Resume" will not be accepted.
- Employment history dates must include month and year.
$15.00 - $15.75 per hour Hours
Variable - 20 and 40 hours per week
Job Close Date
- Monday through Friday.
- Hours may vary between 7:30am-6:00pm
- May be required to work weekends and during special events and programming needs.
06/29/2019 Type of Posting
Parks & Recreation Regular/Temporary
Temporary (No benefits) Grant Funded or Pooled Position
Not Applicable Category
Austin Nature & Science Center/Camacho Activity Center Preferred Qualifications
Preferred Education and Experience in the following:
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
- College coursework in Natural Sciences or Education.
- Experience leading children in an outdoor setting.
- Experience in leading and/or instructing one or more of the following types of recreational programming: Environmental Education, Hiking, Mountain biking, Kayaking, Rock-climbing, Caving, Camping, and Film-Making.
- Experience using Final Cut for video-editing and in film-making; including writing, directing, filming and editing.
- Experience with environmental education, basic animal handling, hiking, film making, or gardening.
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Safely facilitate and actively supervise participants at all times while engaging in a variety of indoor and outdoor activities.
Develop, modify and teach program activities to accommodate various ages, abilities and interests.
Regular attendance is mandatory for this position.
Attend all sessions of scheduled staff training.
Serve as a role-model, exercising appropriate decision-making and boundary setting.
Utilize effective behavior management skills including enforcing policies fairly, consistently, kindly and firmly.
Communicate clearly and professionally with participants, parents, co-workers and supervisor.
Work cooperatively with co-counselors and other staff.
Provide excellent customer service.
Complete reports and forms and assist with maintaining records in accordance with City of Austin ( COA ) and Parks & Recreation Department ( PARD ) policies and procedures.
Other duties as assigned.
Responsibilities - Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised: None. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
Criminal Background Investigation
- Knowledge of youth programs and activities.
- Knowledge of safety practices and procedures.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in problem solving.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Ability to work with children and teens, including youth with special needs.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with the City and the public.
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation. EEO/ADA
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445. Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within
the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* Applicants must be 18 years of age or older and have a High School diploma or GED by hire date. Do you meet these minimum qualifications?
* Have you previously worked for the City of Austin, Parks and Recreation Department? If yes, please indicate dates, work unit/section and position held at the Parks and Recreation Department.
(Open Ended Question)
* This position will work with age groups ranging from 3 to 18 years of age, and youth with special needs. List all of the age groups with which you have experience leading programming. Experience must be documented within the appropriate work experience at each job that is applicable within your application work history.
(Open Ended Question)
* Do you have experience teaching and/or leading young children in environmental education, outdoor recreation and/or active play?
* Briefly describe your experience in leading and/or instructing one or more of the following types of recreational programming. • Environmental Education • Hiking • Mountain Biking • Kayaking • Rock Climbing • Caving • Camping
(Open Ended Question)
* Please list all current certifications and/or trainings related to this position:
(Open Ended Question)
* Are you bilingual in English/Spanish or English/other language?
- Fluent in two or more languages - read, write, speak
- Bilingual and able to speak in a second language
- Bilingual and understand if someone is speaking to me in a second language
- None of the above
* The position requires CPR/AED and First Aid certifications. Will you be able to obtain these certifications within 30 days of hire?
* If selected as a top candidate, do you agree to a criminal background investigation?
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Optional Documents Cover Letter Other Document