Requisition Number: 51924
It's an exciting time to join the Fort Worth Public Library! We have a brand new strategic plan and an exciting new vision to build a community of learners, dreamers, and doers. We are looking for an experienced and innovative community leader with a strong commitment to public service to lead the Northwest Branch Library.
The successful candidate will be a strategic thinker as well as a skilled leader and experienced manager. He or she will be comfortable making decisions, establishing and maintaining community partnerships, providing services to children and adults, and managing library collections and facilities. Additionally, the perfect candidate will be comfortable working with diverse populations, including people of all ages, backgrounds, dispositions, and abilities. ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS :
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS :
- Plans, organizes, and directs the day-to-day operations and staff of a branch library to ensure efficient and effective public service; interprets policy and procedures; resolves daily operational problems; oversees and ensures that the location is well-ordered, appealing, and inviting.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities including planning, assigning and directing work; hiring; performance management; managing and approving payroll time entries, approving leave requests for direct reports; communicating with staff; addressing complaints and resolving problems; training staff as necessary on basic job functions.
- Provides excellent customer service, including answering questions and helping customers locate materials and services of interest.
- Uses effective techniques, good judgment, and established organizational values, policies and procedures to resolve difficult situations with customers.
- Champions the Library's strategic goals and initiatives with the system's mission, vision and core values in mind.
- Promotes Library use within the service area by initiating or continuing communications with community agencies.
- Plan, implements, and evaluates local outreach programs and services in conjunction with staff.
- Assists in succession planning; provides coaching and mentoring for direct reports and indirect reports.
- Evaluates/assesses Library standards and services at location.
- Monitors adherence to branch library budget.
- Manages the location's overall collection, including promotion, maintenance, and weeding.
- Assists customers with basic computer needs and emerging technologies.
Master's Degree in Library Science and at least two years of management experience with evidence of progressive responsibility and interdisciplinary approaches to problem-solving and decision-making.
Bachelor's Degree in Library Science, Education, Management, or a related field and at least seven years of management experience with evidence of progressive responsibility and interdisciplinary approaches to problem-solving and decision-making may be substituted for the MLS. A cover letter and resume must be submitted with your application to be considered for this position. HIGHLY PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Three or more years of management experience with evidence of progressive responsibility and interdisciplinary approaches to problem-solving and decision-making.
- Knowledge of management principles and practices including goal setting, budget development/implementation, and staff development and motivation.
- Knowledge of modern professional library principles, practices, and procedures.
- Skill in using exceptional interpersonal and leadership skills that build and maintain strategic relationships with internal and external customers.
- Skill in hiring, motivating, developing, and directing staff in a collaborative team environment
- Ability to organize work, set priorities, meet critical deadlines, and follow up on assignments with a minimum of direction.
- Experience building sustainable community relationships.
- A flexible and collaborative work style.
- Master's Degree in Library and Information Science.
- Ability to work irregular hours and travel to multiple locations.
- Ability to speak/write/understand both English and Spanish.
Closing Date/Time: 6/20/19