JOB SUMMARY Job Summary
Performs lifeguard duties at the City's Natatorium and/or Rio Vista Pool; provides swimming lessons to the public; participates in maintaining assigned pool facilities; prepares and maintains departmental records and logs; and performs other related duties. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DECISION MAKING Essential Functions
- Serves as lifeguard and monitors the safety of aquatic facility patrons (occasionally required to work outdoor pool):
- Enforces safety policies and procedures.
- Initiates rescues; administers First Aid and/or CPR.
- Completes daily safety checks.
- Prepares injury forms and daily chemical sheets/logs.
- Oversees patron entrance; provides customer service to the public.
Participates in maintaining aquatic facilities:
- Cleans and sanitizes pool deck, locker rooms, and lobby areas.
- Vacuums, sweeps, removes trash, and performs other janitorial duties.
- Monitors water and chemical levels; adds chemicals as necessary.
- Performs backwashing of pool system.
Serves as swimming instructor:
- Provides lessons to infants up to adults 99 years of age.
- Teaches fundamentals of water survival, breathing techniques, floating, stroke/diving techniques, and/or other related skills.
- Conducts meetings with participants and parents.
- Completes swimming lesson certificates and related paperwork.
- Calculates and prepares timesheets for payroll.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (Salary is dependent upon qualifications) Minimum Requirements
- This position works under general supervision.
CORE COMPETENCIES AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS Core Competencies
- High School Diploma or equivalent is preferred.
- Must be 16 years of age or older at time of employment.
- Lifeguard, Water Safety Instructor, CPR, First Aid, and AED certifications are required within two (2) weeks of employment.
- To read and comprehend regulations, municipal codes, handbooks, and manuals; must be able to review/prepare departmental records, logs, and documentation.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills are required; must be able to maintain positive working relationships with City departments and personnel, patrons, and the general public.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
Physical requirements include lifting up to 150 pounds occasionally. Subject to vision and hearing constantly; standing, sitting, walking, lifting, carrying, pushing/pulling, reaching, handling, climbing, balancing and talking occasionally; fine dexterity, kneeling, crouching, crawling, bending and twisting rarely.
Working conditions involve exposure to variable and/or extreme weather conditions, wet surfaces, water, pool maintenance equipment, hazardous chemicals, infectious diseases, and blood borne pathogens. Safety Sensitive Position. Work Hours
Closing Date/Time: 6/26/2019 11:59 PM Central