Lifeguard I-III (Temporary/Part-Time) Job Requisition Number
COA079592 Position Number
T93005 Job Type
Part-Time Division Name
Parks & Recreation Minimum Qualifications
This position will be filled at one of the following based on qualifications:
Notes to Applicants
- Lifeguard I ($15.00 per hour): Must be 15 years of age; and have required certifications. Lifeguard I position is restricted to limited hours and locations during the summer only (summer is defined by AISD school calendar).
- Lifeguard II ($15.00 per hour): Must be 16 years of age; and have required certifications.
- Lifeguard III ($15.25 per hour): Must be 17 years of age; and have required certifications.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS :
- Tasks involve bending, lifting, walking, carrying or using a force equal to lifting up to fifty (50) pounds.
- Must have reliable transportation to get to and from work for your assigned work hours.
- Must be physically and mentally able to communicate, respond and work with participant's needs and safety issues; and tolerate loud noise associated with enthusiasm and excitement.
- Ability to adapt to a variety of conditions such as daily walking, climbing, standing, balancing, kneeling, stooping, running, bending, crawling, swimming, stretching and reaching; and frequently walk and sit when leading various recreational activities.
- Work outdoors in any and all types of weather and/or inclement conditions; and in confined spaces.
ADDITIONAL EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS :
- After submitting the City of Austin Online Employment Application, applicants must report to the City of Austin Aquatics Division Office within 2 days for an interview. The Aquatics Office is located at 2818 San Gabriel Dr. Austin, Texas 78705 and is open 8 AM- 5 PM, Monday through Friday (except holidays).
- Applicants must bring the following documents at time of interview: Valid I-9 Acceptable Documents and Social Security Card. For a complete list of acceptable I-9 documents please visit: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf
- After your interview is conducted, applicants will complete preliminary paperwork (i.e. criminal background investigation form).
- If given a conditional job offer of employment, applicants must take and pass the 40+ hour American Red Cross Lifeguard training course in order to move forward in the hiring process.
- Resumes are optional, but will not be accepted in lieu of a complete online application. Detailed and complete Employment Application is required to help better evaluate the applicant's qualifications. Employment history dates must include month and year.
MINOR APPLICANTS (15 - 17 years of age):
- Applicants that are 15 years old may not work during the AISD school year if hired. During the summer, when eligible to work, restrictions will apply to hours and locations available to work.
- Applicants that are 15 and 16 years old are required to have a parent present during the interview and parent signatures on the applicant paperwork.
- Applicants that are 17 years old will require parent signatures on the applicant paperwork.
TRAINING AND CERTIFICATIONS :
- Training for applicants will be offered by the City of Austin Parks & Recreation Department - Aquatic Division.
- Applicants must successfully pass the 40+ hour Lifeguard Training course to be considered for the Lifeguard position.
- Returning Lifeguard applicants (with current American Red Cross/First Aid/ CPR / AED certifications) will be required to take a review course in lieu of the 40+ hour class required for new lifeguards.
- All applicants must successfully pass the Parks and Recreation Department Lifeguard City Skills Test before hire.
IF HIRED BY THE CITY OF AUSTIN PARKS AND RECREATION - AQUATIC DIVISION , APPLICANTS MUST ADHERE TO AND PARTICIPATE IN THE FOLLOWING :
- Attend mandatory Aquatic Division Orientation.
- Attend mandatory paid in-service meetings.
- Report to work on time for assigned shift(s); and remain free from being under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol.
- Wear assigned Aquatics Division staff uniform only while on duty.
- Be able to work weekdays, weekends and holidays; and willing to substitute for others.
- Perform general cleaning and maintenance duties during assigned shift(s).
- Work schedule and location is subject to change based on department needs and programs.
Military/Veteran Preference for Interview Process:
- An applicant claiming Military/Veteran status must provide a copy of his or her DD-214(s), or valid comparable document, at the time of interview.
$15.00 - $15.25 per hour based on experience. Hours
Job Close Date
- Variable - up to 40 hours per week
- May be required to work during special events outside the normal hours for programming needs.
- Evenings, Weekends, & Holidays are required.
09/01/2019 Type of Posting
Parks & Recreation Regular/Temporary
Temporary (No benefits) Grant Funded or Pooled Position
Not Applicable Category
Various City Neighborhood and Municipal Pools Preferred Qualifications Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities:
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Responsible for the safety of pool patrons by preventing accidents and responding quickly to emergency situations.
Must know and be able to perform all skills required for certifications.
Must follow and enforce pool policies and rules at all times.
Performs routine maintenance to pool area i.e. vacuum, pick up trash.
Must be able to verbally communicate with the public and staff effectively.
Plans and organizes recreational program activities.
Maintains inventories and cares for City property and equipment.
Keeps supervisor informed of materials and supplies necessary to conduct programs.
Cleans program areas after completion of activities and at end of work day.
Demonstrates cooperative behavior with team, supervisors, and the public.
Leads, teaches, demonstrates, and officiates recreational activities for a variety of age groups.
Monitors and records compliance with safety and department guidelines and rules.
Maintains attendance, activity, supply, and equipment records.
Assists in development of lesson or activity plans and program evaluations.Assists in the use of equipment and supplies.
Communicates with a wide range of people.
Provides information and directions.Encourages and guides participants.Sets up equipment for scheduled recreational activities and events.
May involve cash handling.
May give direction to program volunteers on specific activities or projects.
Other duties as assigned. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of general safety practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of First Aid.
- Basic knowledge of personal computer operation.
- Ability to learn and care for equipment and supplies.
- Ability to provide guidance and instruction.
- Ability to communicate activity objectives, programs information, and directions.
- Ability to conduct activities following established rules and guidelines.
- Ability to retain and enforce safety rules and department guidelines.
- Ability to evaluate program activities verbally and in writing.
- Ability to obtain Lifeguard/First Aid/Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation/ AED certification.
- Ability to plan, organize, motivate, lead, and promote a variety of recreational activities for different age groups with diverse interests and varying skill levels.
TRAINING AND CERTIFICATIONS ARE OFFERED BY PARKS AND RECREATION . INFORMATION MAY BE OBTAINED DURING THE INTERVIEW .
Criminal Background Investigation
- Required Certifications: American Red Cross Lifeguard, CPR / AED for Lifeguards, First Aid.
- Must take and pass the Parks and Recreation Department Lifeguard City Skills Test before hire.
- Must be at least 15 years old.
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation. EEO/ADA
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445. Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within
the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* Are you at least 15 years of age?
* I understand that after submission of my City of Austin Employment Application, I must report to the City of Austin Aquatic Division Office (Address: 2818 San Gabriel St Austin, TX 78705) within 2 days for an interview between the hours of 8:00 am - 5:00 pm, Monday - Friday.
- I will go for an interview within 2 days of submitting my application
- I will go for an interview within 7 days of submitting my application
- I will not be able to interview at this time
- Not interested
* I understand that before I am hired with the City of Austin Parks and Recreation Aquatics Division - I must take and successfully pass the American Red Cross Lifeguard/First Aid/CPR/AED 40+ hour Training Course to work as a temporary/seasonal Lifeguard. If I am a returning Lifeguard applicant (previously hired with the Aquatics Division - with current American Red Cross Lifeguard First Aid/CPR/AED certifications), I understand that this training will be for 16 hours instead of 40 hours.
* I understand that if after my interview I am offered the Lifeguard position contingent on passing the lifeguard training, city skills test, and successful outcome of Criminal Background Investigation, I will be asked to complete new hire paperwork. I must bring my Social Security Card and valid I-9 Acceptable Documents. For a complete list of acceptable I-9 documents please visit: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf
* If selected as Top Candidate, do you agree to a criminal background investigation?
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Optional Documents Cover Letter Resume