DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH SERVICES
EXAM NUMBER: Y5798P
OPEN COMPETITIVE JOB OPPORTUNITYORIGINAL POSTING DATE: 06-19-2013
Performs radiographic procedures employing the use of ionizing radiation and other modalities to produce images of various anatomical structures of the body for the diagnostic evaluation.
Essential Job Functions
- Receives andreviews physician's request for radiographic procedure and identifies the patient.
- Sets up examination room, materials and equipment including selection of appropriate film, grids, collimators, camera, cassettes, syringes, opaque media, and catheters specified in equipment and procedure manuals.
- Performs a variety of orthopedic, gastrointestinal, genitourinary, obstetric, head and neck radiographic procedures, or mammography or body section radiography including delicate structures as in the inner ear.
- Selects and computes machine settings to compensate for such variances as patient size, age, sex and tissue density.
- Selects proper film size, positions equipment at proper distance and angle, and adjusts cones or collimators to image a specified area.
- Accurately positions the patient when the patient cannot be moved, deviates from basic positioning guidelines by angulating the X-ray tube and the film to avoid re-injury, discomfort and pain, or intruding the sterile field.
- Mixes and administers barium by standard dilution for upper and lower gastrointestinal and colon exams.
- Produces radiographs during other contrast media studies such as gallbladder series, cholangiograms, cystograms and pyelograms. Recognizes symptoms of reaction to contrast media and reports such reaction to a physician.
- Elicits the cooperation of patients by explaining procedure, attempts to comfort those who fear radiographic examination byproviding assurance.
- Evaluates the patient's condition and applies immobilizing devices when the patient cannot cooperate.
- Uses supportive devices such as sandbags, angle boards and binders to obtain precise position.
- Uses equipment and lead shields, such as gloves and aprons, in accordance with State requirements for safety.
- Assists in the clinical training of radiologic technology students, and in familiarizing newly employed technologists with examination procedures by demonstrating selection of machine control settings, positioning the patient and checking for and identifying acceptable image quality.
- Operates mammographic, tomographic or conventional and mobile radiographic units; pushes or operates mechanically drive mobile units and performs radiographic procedures in medical and obstetrics wards and insurgery under sterile conditions.
- Process exposed film to produce quality radiographs.
- Conduct classroom instruction of radiologic technology students and other personnel in basic radiologic technology.
- Checks the operation of equipment daily by performing tube warm up and fluoroscopic tests, comparing a blank image with a standard image, observing a fluoroscopic image for definition, an checking switches and conduits for function.
Requirements SELECTION REQUIREMENTS
Certification as a radiologictechnologist issued by the State of California, Department of Public Health -AND- a radiologictechnologist fluoroscopy permit issued by the State of California, Department of Public Health.LICENSE:
A current, active certification as a radiologic technologist issued by the State of California, Department of Public Health -AND-A radiologic technologist fluoroscopy permit issued by the State of California, Department of Public Health.
A current certification in accordance with the American Heart Associate's Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers (CPR & AED) Program upon appointment. PHYSICAL CLASS III - Moderate:
Includes standing or walking most of the time, with bending, stooping, squatting, twisting, and reaching; includes working on irregular surfaces, occasionally lifting objects weighting over 25 pounds, and frequent lifting of 10-25 pounds. SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION
Please be sure to write the title of your required license, certificate, and/or permit, the number, date of issued, date of expiration and the name of the issuing agency as specified in the Selection Requirements. Attached a legible photocopy of the required license, certificate, and/or permit of compliance to your applicationat the time of filing or fax the copy of degree to us within 15 calendar days from the date of filing your application online.
Applications submitted without the required license, certificate, and/pr permit will be considered incomplete until such information is provided. The original license, certificate, and/or permit must be presented during the selection process and prior to appointment.The required license, certificate, and/or permit MUST be current and unrestricted; a conditional, provisional, probationary or restricted license will NOT be accepted.SPECIAL INFORMATION
Appointees may be required to work any shift, including evenings, nights, weekends and holidays.AVAILABLE SHIFT:
Additional Information EXAMINATIONCONTENT
This examination will consist of an interview covering training, experience, personal fitness and general ability to perform duties of the position, weighted 100%.Candidates must achieve a score of 70% or higher on this examination to be added to the eligible register.ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION
Applications will be processed on an"as-received"
basis and those receiving a passing score will be promulgated to the eligible register accordingly.
The names of candidates receiving a passing grade in the examination will be placed on the eligible register in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of promulgation.NO PERSON MAY COMPETE IN THIS EXAMINATION MORE THAN ONCE EVERY TWELVE (12) MONTHS.VACANCY INFORMATION
The resulting eligible register for this examination will be used to fill vacancies throughout the Department of Health Services as they occur.APPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATIONAPPLICATIONS MUST BE FILED ONLINE ONLY. APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED BY U.S. MAIL, FAX OR IN PERSON WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Apply online by clicking on the "Apply" tab for this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
All information is subject to verification. We may reject your application at any time during the examination and hiring process, including after appointment has been made. Falsification of any information may result in disqualification or rescission of appointment
This examination will remain open until the needs of the service are met. Application filing may be suspended at any time with or without advance notice.
Fill out your application completely. The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly shown that you meet the requirements. Provide any relevant education, training, and experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, description of work performed, and salary earned. If your application is incomplete, it will be rejected.Applications electronically received after 5:00 p.m., PST, on the last of filing will not be accepted.NOTE:
If you are unable to attach required documents, you must fax them to (323) 869-0942 or e-mail the documents to the exam analyst, within 15 calendar days of filing online. Please include the exam number and the exam title.SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER:
All applicants must enter a valid social security number at the time of filing. Entering anything other than a valid social security number (i.e. 000-00-0000, 111-11-1111, etc.) will result in an automatic rejection of your application.COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT LIBRARIES:
For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County.NO SHARING USER ID AND PASSWORD:
All applicants must file their applications online using their own user ID and password. Using a family member or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record.DEPARTMENT CONTACT NAME
Eric Sanchez, Exam Analyst
email@example.com ADA COORDINATOR PHONE
323-869-7124CALIFORNIA RELAY SERVICES PHONE