The County Manager's Office of the County of San Mateo seeks qualified candidates with Chinese (Cantonese and/or Mandarin) and English bilingual skills for the position ofCommunityOutreach Coordinator
Working in conjunction with the North Fair Oaks Forward team and modeling the effective outreach efforts of the North Fair Oaks Forward projects, the Community Outreach Coordinator will organize community outreach and engagement efforts and coordinate the outreach work for multiple County departments.
Focusing primarily on the northern areas of the peninsula, e.g., Daly City, Brisbane, San Bruno, South San Francisco, etc., and focusing on the predominantly Chinese-speaking communities, outreach efforts will be conducted bilingually and will include many opportunities for in-person meetings and interactions. The County is committed to reaching out to our diverse communities and providing resources and services that community members need in order to live happy, productive lives.It is an exciting time to be involved!
The Community Outreach Coordinator will work in partnership with the Spanish/English bilingual Outreach Coordinators that are part of the North Fair Oaks Forward team, will report to the Community Affairs Manager, and will work at the direction of the Assistant County Manager. The Community Outreach Coordinator will also work closely with District One Supervisor Dave Pine and District Five Supervisor David Canepa, and their legislative staff members. The Community Outreach Coordinator will also work with a diverse range of community leaders, members, and organizations including educators, non-profit organizations, religious groups, business owners, and youth. The selected individual must be comfortable with people from all walks of life and must be able to comport themselves appropriately.
Examples Of Duties
Responsibilities and duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
If you are interested in work that has an impact and makes positive change, we would like to hear from you!
- Maintain strong relationships with community leaders, residents, and business owners throughout the County of San Mateo and especially in the North Peninsula areas
- Collaborate with various County departments and act as a liaison between the community and public agencies to share information and collect public input
- Plan, coordinate, and staff a wide range of meetings and events, including during evenings and weekends
- Translate documents, presentations, and other content from English to Cantonese and/or Mandarin and vice versa
- Update websites, social media posts, mass emails, newsletters, and databases
- Provide assistance and staff support as needed
Qualifications Minimum requirements:
- Education: The successful completion of a Bachelor's degree, preferably in a related field (e.g. Political Science, Urban Planning, Asian Studies, Chinese Languages, etc.)
- Language Skills: Oral and written fluency in Cantonese and/or Mandarin and English
- Experience: Any work or volunteer experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and skills
Salary and Benefits:
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to coordinate multiple projects, organize priorities, and manage a flexible schedule
- Experience working with a diversity of people (e.g. ethnic background, religion, nationality, education level, language, socio-economic status, etc.)
- Confidence in public speaking in Cantonese and/or Mandarin and English
- Strong written skills in Cantonese and/or Mandarin and English
- Ability to work independently and complete tasks with minimal supervision and work collaboratively as a team member
- Ability to offer creative solutions or new program ideas for consideration and the ability to think critically about issues and challenge old ideas
- Experience creating visual and written materials or presentations; some experience in web design and graphic design is preferred
- Proficient computer skills; e.g. Microsoft Office
- Commitment to strengthening neighborhoods in the North Peninsula communities
- This position is funded for 12-months and could be extended contingent on performance and program needs; the official classification for this position is Intern/Fellow III
- Depending on experience, the annual salary range is $24.00 - $32.00 per hour is offered and includes County benefits summarized at hr.smcgov.org/benefits.
- The position includes a portable 401A retirement plan and is not eligible for a defined benefit County pension.
Application/Examination Anyone may apply.Cantonese and/or Mandarin and English bi-lingual skills and a bachelor's degree are required for this position.
To apply for this exciting job opportunity, please go to the County's online application system athttp://jobs.smcgov.org
. Once there you will complete a portion of the County Employment Application Form.Then you must attach the following documents in Word or PDF forma
- Cover Letter that describes your interest in the position
- Responses to Supplemental Questions:
- Are you fluent in Spanish? Yes No
- Are you fluent in Cantonese ? Yes No
- Are you fluent in Mandarin? Yes No
- Describe your education and work experience that has prepared you for the Outreach Coordinator position.
- Describe your experience developing, implementing, promoting, coordinating and evaluating and outreach/educational program, event or project (including any website development or upkeep) Be specific.
- Describe your experience establishing and maintaining collaborative relations with diverse community groups, non-profit organizations, community leaders or businesses. Be specific about the kinds of organizations you collaborated with and describe the purpose of your outreach. Be specific.
- Describe your experience in successfully promoting community/civic engagement opportunities with diverse communities. Be specific.
- Describe a time when your communication skills have helped you succeed in completing a project to achieve the goal. Please explain your role and obstacles you overcame. Be specific.
If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the "Apply" button. If you are not on the County's website, please go tohttp://jobs.smcgov.org
to apply. Incomplete applications, i.e., applications without the three attachments, will not be considered.County of San Mateois an Equal Opportunity Employer
Keywords: Term, extra help, Chinese, Cantonese, Mandarin, bilingual, coordinator