Overview This posting will remain open until 100 applications have been received or until the deadline, whichever occurs first.Please apply as soon as possible to ensure your application is received.
If you are looking for a place to grow and develop your skills, have the opportunity to do meaningful work and serve your community, come see why USD employees have an average tenure of 10+ years. USD offers careers with a great work/life balance. We are proud of our diverse workforce of professionals. We currently have an opportunity for an Administrative Specialist to join our Environmental Compliance Team (EC).Union Sanitary District (USD
) is an award-winning, innovative independent special district formed in 1918 providing wastewater collection, treatment, and disposal services to the residents and businesses in the Tri-cities of Fremont, Newark, and Union City in southern Alameda County (south-eastern Bay Area). USD is committed to providing exceptional service to our customers through the fulfillment of our Mission Statement, "To safely and responsibly collect and treat wastewater, and to recover resources from process waste streams, while protecting human health and improving the environment in a way that benefits the Tri-Cities and all USD stakeholders." Examples of Duties About the Job
The EC Administrative Specialist I provides administrative support and coordination to staff and management of both the EC Team and to our Technical Services Workgroup. In addition, the EC Administrative Specialist I provides daily and as-needed back-up coverage for our Front Desk Receptionist. The incumbent will provide administrative services for the Environmental Compliance Pretreatment, Pollution Prevention and Urban Runoff Programs; research, compile, organize data and prepare basic and complex reports essential to Team and District operations as well and provide administrative services for regular and special projects.
You must be detail-oriented, highly organized, able to balance multiple areas of responsibility, complete work of a highly detailed nature, possess strong computer skills, a proven track record of producing accurate, high-quality work in a fast-paced environment, and strong interpersonal communication skills. Additionally, you must be able to prioritize work according to changing situations and requirements and be able to work effectively in a team-based structure.
This position is alternately staffed with Administrative Specialist II. Incumbents must serve a minimum of one year at this level and may advance to the higher level after gaining experience and achieving proficiency that meet the requirements of the Administrative Specialist II.
The following is a list of just some of the things you will be working on:
Qualifications About You
- Prepare New Industry Permits and Industrial User Permit Renewals as well as Compliance Inspection Reports for the Industrial Pretreatment Program.
- Prepare reports for the Pollution Prevention Program including the FOG (Fats, Oils and Grease), Dental Mercury/Amalgam Reduction and Outreach programs.
- Enter data for the Urban Runoff Inspection Reports and database; prepare and track enforcement documentation including preparing Warning Letters and citations for violations.
- Provide back-up support to the Executive Assistant to the General Manager/Board Clerk as needed.
- Provide additional administrative support to the Customer Service Team and management as needed including daily back-up coverage to Front Desk operations.
You will need the following education and experience. A typical way to acquire the knowledge, skills and abilities for this position include:
Additional Information Excellent Benefits
- Education and Experience: Completion of two years of college with course work in business and related computer software applications and two years' responsible office technical and administrative support; other relevant training and experience may be substituted for education and/or experience.
- Knowledge of a variety of computer software applications.
- Ability to learn and provide various technical specialist support assistance to the workgroup to which assigned; learning and operating computer software applications specific to the assigned work group; records management and report preparation procedures; general office practices and procedures.
- Have excellent customer service skills and can work effectively in a team-based organization.
We also offer an excellent benefits package including:
The Details (otherwise known as Important Application Information)
- CalPERS retirement 2.5% at 55 formula. (If new to CalPERS or not from an agency with reciprocity with CalPERS, the formula is 2% at 62 by pension reform law.)
- Medical, dental and vision insurance substantially paid for by the District for the employee and family.
- Two weeks' vacation per year (increasing with longevity); and 13 paid holidays per year.
- STD, LTD and Life Insurance paid by the District.
- Alternative Work Week Schedule.
- Deferred Compensation Plan with Matching Funds.
- Educational Reimbursement, Student and Computer Loan programs for non-probationary employees.
- The Administrative Specialist I position is covered by the Service Employees International Union, Local 1021 (SEIU), Memorandum of Understanding.
Applicants must apply online by Monday, July 1, 2019 at 8:00 a.m. Union Sanitary District is not responsible for the failure of Internet forms in submitting your application.
Candidates who are best qualified will be invited to a Written Exam
scheduled for Thursday, July 11, 2019.
Those candidates scoring highest on the exam will be invited to a Qualifications Appraisal Interview and Work Sample
scheduled for Tuesday, July 16, 2019.Hiring interviews
are scheduled for Monday, July 22, 2019.
You will be contacted regarding all phases of this recruitment via email, so please check your inbox for correspondence regarding next steps and results through the exam process. Please ensure that the email address on your application is correct and current before submitting your application. Finalists must provide references. Before appointment to the position the candidates must pass a criminal background check.Disaster Service Worker
: Employees of Union Sanitary District are, by state and federal law, Disaster Service Workers. In the event of a declaration of emergency, any employee may be assigned activities which promote the protection of public health and safety or the preservation of lives and property either at the District or within the local, or your own community.Accommodation:
Candidates with a disability who may require special assistance in any phase of the application or selection process should advise Human Resources by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org upon submittal of application.Union Sanitary District is an equal opportunity employer encouraging workforce diversity.
Closing Date/Time: 7/1/2019 9:00 AM Pacific