The Modesto Irrigation District is currently recruiting to fill one full-time vacancy in the Fleet Maintenance area within the General Services Department to perform skilled major and minor service and repair on a variety of heavy and light duty, diesel, gasoline, and alternate fueled vehicles and construction equipment; fabricate special equipment; maintain the District fleet in a safe mechanical operating condition. AnyQualified IndividualMay Apply.
This is a non-exempt position and is allocated to the Utility Services and Maintenance Bargaining Unit. The list established as a result of this recruitment may be used to fill otherHeavy Equipment Mechanicvacancies that may occur within the District through June 3, 2020. Examples of Duties:
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
Other Related Duties
- Diagnose and repair of mechanical, electronic and hydraulic systems in a wide variety of heavy and light duty equipment including but not limited to personnel aerial lifts, digger derricks, heavy truck cranes, backhoes, dozers, heavy duty trucks, automobiles, propane powered forklifts, stand by generators, mobile water pumps and air compressors, gunite equipment, irrigation gate controls and electrical line maintenance equipment
- Use a wide range of hand and power tools and machinery; Operate various equipment including forklifts and trucks
- Perform maintenance and repairs and inspection required for State and Federal safety standards
- Perform opacity tests on District's heavy duty diesel vehicles in accordance with ARB regulations
- Diagnose, test, reprogram and repair computer control management systems on light duty, heavy duty, construction equipment and aerial equipment; Operate and test on-board emission computer systems
- Operate and test ABS brake systems
- Perform major and minor fabrication, alterations and repairs to equipment using electric welding and cutting equipment
- Perform repairs to equipment at power generation plants, substations, water treatment plant and various field locations
- Repair a variety of small tools such as; electrical, hydraulic, pneumatic, etc; Repair, test and calibrate output and phasing of portable and stationary generators up to 450kw
- Involved in the disposal of hazardous waste materials
- Perform overtime and/or emergency work as required
Other duties as assigned Typical Qualifications:
Any combination of education, experience, knowledge and abilities may satisfy the necessary minimum qualifications. A typical way to obtain the education, experience, knowledge and abilities would be:Education:
High school diploma or equivalent. Course work from accredited trade school, college or university with emphasis in mechanics, hydraulics, and automotive electronics desirable. ASE Master Technician Certification in Automobile/Light truck and Medium/Heavy truck classifications is desirable.Experience:
Four (4) years of increasingly responsible experience at journey level in repair and maintenance in one or more of the following: insulated personnel aerial lifts, heavy trucks, tractors, automotive, construction equipment and welding.Knowledge and Abilities:
- Knowledge of complex hydraulics, electrical, computer and mechanical systems; Knowledge of arc, MIG, TIG, and oxy/acetylene welding; Knowledge of test equipment used to diagnose and repair equipment and electronic components of vehicle;
- Ability to operate a computerized Fleet Management System and maintain work, time and material records; Ability to safely inspect and repair chemical application equipment; Ability to work from an elevated platform; Ability to work in a confined space; Ability to perform fiberglass repair and painting; Ability to operate a variety of equipment safely to diagnose, adjust and repair malfunctions; Ability to follow oral and written instructions; Ability to read and understand wiring diagrams, hydraulic schematics, blueprints, operators and repair manuals; Ability to work cooperatively with others; Ability to work with minimal supervision; Ability to keep accurate records; Ability to safely work with voltages up to 480VAC; Ability to perform facility repairs including but not limited to: steel building structures, automated drive through gates, high pressure washers, car wash, fuel dispensing station, material supporting racks, lighting systems, air compressors, and electric roll up doors.
Must have a valid California Class C driver's license and attainment of a valid California Class A driver license within six (6) months of appointment to the position and maintained thereafter; must obtain a forklift certification and refrigeration certification within six (6) months of appointment to the position and maintained thereafter; must furnish own tools. Attainment of crane certification is required subject to management discretion and must be maintained thereafter. Supplemental Information:
Qualified applicants must submit a completed District application. In addition, a resume describing experience and qualifications for the position is recommended.Application screening will begin on or after Friday, June 21, 2019.
Applications received after this date are not guaranteed consideration.
Applications will be reviewed on a comparative basis and only those most qualified will be invited to continue in the selection process, which will consist of an overall assessment of the individual's skills through (1) written test; (2) oral interview; and (3) contacting of references to include current and former supervisors. The applicant must perform successfully in each phase of the recruitment in order to continue in the selection process.
THE SUCCESSFUL APPLICANT WILL BE REQUIRED TO PROVIDE VERIFICATION OF HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA OR GED AND APPLICABLE HIGHER EDUCATION DEGREE, PASS A MEDICAL EXAM INCLUDING A DRUG AND ALCOHOL SCREEN, AND A COMPLETE BACKGROUND CHECK PRIOR TO BEGINNING WORK.
Applicants requiring necessary accommodations to the application process may contact Human Resources at(209) 526-7341. California Relay Service is available at (800) 735-2922 voice and (800) 735-2929 TDD.
The Modesto Irrigation District is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply. INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS ANNOUNCEMENT MAY BE SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE