Park Construction Crew Leader (Cemetery Operations) Job Requisition Number
COA080294 Position Number
115135 Job Type
Full-Time Division Name
Park Development Minimum Qualifications
Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent, and three (3) years experience in construction or general labor services, at least one (1) year of which includes crew experience.
One (1) year of additional related experience may substitute for one (1) year of High School, up to a maximum of four (4) years substitution.
Licenses or Certifications:
Licensed for the operation of commercial vehicles in the state of Texas within ninety (90) days of employment.
To be considered for employment in this position applicants must comply with Department of Transportation Federal Regulations and the City of Austin Drug Policy.Notes to Applicants
The City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department ( PARD ) provides, protects and preserves a park system that promotes quality recreational, cultural and outdoor experiences for the Austin community.
The Cemetery Operations Division of the Parks and Recreation Department handles the administration, interment and maintenance of five city cemeteries. The mission of the Division is to honor the past, present, and future of Austin's sacred municipal burial grounds with integrity, empathy, and respect.
The purpose of the Park Construction Crew Leader position in the Cemetery Operations Division is to assist the General Maintenance Supervisor with cemetery grounds operations by:
- performing skilled construction and renovation tasks in and around City cemeteries, parks grounds, and in park facilities;
- working in a lead capacity and performing parks grounds and cemetery maintenance, including marking grave sites, monument setting, interment opening and closing, and tent and funeral service setup and takedown; and
- leading and training staff.
- Detailed, complete Employment Application is required to help better evaluate the applicant's qualifications - minimum and preferred as noted on the job posting.
- Detailed, complete Employment Application (employment dates must include month and year) will be used to determine salary if the applicant is the top candidate that is selected for this position.
- Applicants must include on their Employment Application all experience (work and/or volunteer) related to this job posting - up to 10 years or more.
- Verification of employment history dates on resume should match online Employment Application - Statements such as "See Resume" will not be accepted.
- Employment history dates must include month and year.
- Resume will not be accepted in lieu of a complete online application.
90 Day Provision for Additional Vacancy:
- This posting may be used to fill other vacancies in other divisions/work locations within the City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department. Decisions on assigned selection will be made at the time of hire based on the business needs of the department.
- PARD reserves the right to close posted positions prior to the advertised close date, based on recruitment strategies and business needs.
- Tasks may involve bending, lifting, walking, carrying or using a force equal to lifting up to 100+ pounds.
- Tasks include work outdoors in any and all types of weather and/or inclement conditions.
- Must be physically and mentally able to communicate, respond and work with clients in sensitive and stressful situations with tact and sympathy.
Military/Veteran Preference for Interview Process:
- An applicant claiming Military/Veteran status must provide a copy of his or her DD-214(s), or valid comparable document, at the time of interview.
Work/Location Schedule Notes:
- May be required to work during special events, evenings, weekends & holidays.
- Work schedule and location is subject to change based on department needs and programs.
Driver License and Certifications:
- Licensed for the operation of commercial vehicles in the state of Texas or ability to obtain the required license within 90 days of hire.
Multiple Work Sites:
This position will require traveling to multiple sites throughout the work day.
Please note, this posting may close before the Posting Close Date. Pay Range
$17.21 - $21.46 per hour Hours
Monday through Friday, 6:30 AM - 3:00 PM (day shift) or
Monday through Friday, 12:00 PM - 8:30 PM (evening shift)
The shifts for this position will rotate between day/evening.
Occasional evenings, weekends, & holidays may be required. Schedule will be based on business needs. Job Close Date
07/09/2019 Type of Posting
Parks & Recreation Regular/Temporary
Regular Grant Funded or Pooled Position
Not Applicable Category
Austin Memorial Park Cemetery, 2800 Hancock Dr, Austin Preferred Qualifications
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
- Valid Class A Commercial Driver License ( CDL ) holder.
- One (1) year of experience with driving a truck with a trailer combination.
- Two (2) years of experience related to grounds keeping or general labor services in a cemetery, park or other park-like setting.
- One (1) year of experience performing cemetery services including monument and burial space markings, monument settings, and opening and closing of interments.
- Six (6) months experience providing customer service in a cemetery, park or similar setting.
- One (1) year of experience operating a mini excavator, skid steer, backhoe, front end dumper, commercial dump trucks and other light/heavy equipment.
- One (1) year of experience reading, interpreting, and explaining the content of blueprints, maps, and work orders.
- One (1) year of experience leading a crew and delegating tasks.
- Ability to travel to multiple worksites.
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Perform skilled tasks in major construction, renovation and parkland development projects.Read and interpret blue prints, layout and grading of new construction projects on remote undeveloped sites in all adverse weather conditions.Initiate major selective brush and timber clearing in environmentally sensitive waterways, greenbelts, preserves and parkland.Coordinate excavations, setup forms, lay reinforcing steel and supervise major concrete slabs.Assemble and install major playground equipment per manufacturer instructions and in compliance with Consumer Products Safety Commission.Layout and pour foundations, assemble and place by crane large clear span pedestrian bridges.Assemble and construct wood and metal frame shelter buildings.Construct trails and land or water conservation projects in creekways, riverbeds and lake impoundments.Instruct and guide crew workers as necessary to assure understanding to tasks given.
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Provide assistance and information to the crew's supervisor as required.
- Coordinate the work of employees to ensure the crew's assigned results are met.
- Fill in for supervisor in his or her absence.
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
Criminal Background Investigation
- Knowledge of or ability to learn construction processes, policies and procedures within the Parks and Recreation Department.
- Knowledge of equipment and vehicles used in grounds services.
- Skill in directing and assigning work to others.
- Skill in oral and written communication necessary for providing instruction and feedback.
- Ability to train crew workers as necessary.
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation. EEO/ADA
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445. Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within
the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* This position requires a graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent, and three (3) years experience in construction or general labor services, at least one (1) year of which includes crew experience. One (1) year of additional related experience may substitute for one (1) year of High School, up to a maximum of four (4) years substitution. Do you meet these minimum qualifications?
* This position will require you to obtain Class A Commercial Driver License (CDL) within 90 days of employment with the City. Please select from the following:
- Have a current Class A Commercial Driver License (CDL)
- Able to obtain Class A Commercial Driver License (CDL) within 90 days of hire
- Will not be able to obtain Class A Commercial Driver License (CDL) within 90 days of hire
* Please describe your experience transporting equipment to and from job sites using a truck and trailer combination and include years of experience.
(Open Ended Question)
* Please provide details of any previous groundskeeping experience you have working in a cemetery, park or other park-like setting.
(Open Ended Question)
* Describe your experience performing cemetery services including monument and burial space markings, monument settings, and opening and closing of interments, and include years of experience.
(Open Ended Question)
* How many years of experience do you have providing customer service in a cemetery, funeral home, park, or similar setting?
- No experience
- One (1) month to six (6) months
- Six (6) months to one (1) year
- One (1) year to two (2) years
- More than two (2) years
* Describe your experience operating a mini excavator, skid steer, backhoe, front end dumper, commercial dump trucks, and other light/heavy equipment and include years of experience.
(Open Ended Question)
* How many years of experience do you have reading, interpreting, and explaining content of blueprints, maps, and work orders?
- No experience
- Less than one year
- One to two years
- More than two years
* State and describe your experience leading, coaching and/or supervising others: your position title, employer, relevant experience you had in leading/coaching/supervising others, and number of years in that position with leadership roles, responsibilities or experience.
(Open Ended Question)
* This position requires traveling to multiple sites as part of the regular job duties. Will you be able to meet this requirement?
* If identified as a top candidate, do you agree to a Criminal Background Investigation (CBI)?
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Resume Optional Documents Cover Letter