Responsible for performing inspection of residential and commercial construction for compliance with adopted building codes including: building, electrical, plumbing, and mechanical codes; as well as, city ordinances and state laws. The main goal of this position is to protect the health and safety of the community while supporting an efficient City permitting system. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DECISION MAKING Essential Functions
1.Conducts Inspection of Residential & Commercial Construction Projects and Special Situations:
2. Completes Residential and Commercial Building Plan Review, as needed:
- Conducts field inspections of building, plumbing, electrical and mechanical systems for compliance with appropriate codes, regulations and approved plans/specifications.
- Inspects alterations and additions to existing buildings to ensure conformity with approved building codes.
- Through Inspection Anywhere web-based system, tracks and maintains data and detailed results on completed inspections, complaints and violations.
3. Investigates Complaints and Assesses Violations:
- Through the MyPermitNow web-based system, evaluates and completes construction plans/specifications for compliance with city, state and federal codes, and international building codes. Identifies and interprets non-compliance concerns in plans and specifications; specifies plans or actions necessary to bring plans into regulatory compliance.
4. Participates in continuing education, professional development and building trade organizations as approved by Supervisor.5. Miscellaneous:
- Inspects existing structures, as assigned, to determine if unsafe or illegal conditions exist in coordination with the Neighborhood Enhancement Division.
- May investigate complaints regarding non-building code city ordinance violations.
- May issue notices or citations to correct code violations where warranted.
- Testifies in court regarding violations as needed.
- Assist general public regarding the processes relating to construction and code requirements.
- Supports the success of the building permitting process from application to certificate of occupancy issuance.
- Subject to call out for emergency and after hours inspections.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (Salary is dependent upon qualifications) Minimum Requirements
- This position works under general supervision.
- Ability to understand and successfully contribute to the building permit process.
- Ability to exercise balanced judgment in evaluating situations and in making decisions.
- Ability to draw sound conclusions from prepared analysis and recommend code changes.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Valid Texas Driver's License with an acceptable driving record is required.
- Three years directly related experience in building inspection or five years of experience in general construction or building trades including reading plans.
- International Code Council (ICC) certification as Residential Combination Inspector and/or Commercial Combination Inspector or the ability to obtain within two years of employment.
- Licensed Journeyman or Master Plumber and/or Texas State Plumbing Inspector License or the ability to obtain within one year of employment OR Licensed Journeyman or Master Electrician with the ability to obtain Texas State Plumbing Inspector License within two years of employment. Consideration will be given to applicants who would qualify as an Inspector Trainee and possess minimum qualifications with the ability to obtain Texas State Plumbing Inspector license within two years of employment.
CORE COMPETENCIES AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS CORE COMPETENCIES
- Two years of college or technical training in construction, blue print reading, architecture or a related field is desirable.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- Ability to read codes, ordinances, plans, engineering reports, legal documents, computer, permits, signs, plans, specifications, schematics, various forms.
- Ability to operate computers, utilize electronic technology, write correspondence, reports, and legal documents.
- Performs abstract reasoning to analyze information gathered from inspection and determine code violations; interprets code and applies to specific situations.
- Good verbal communication skills to deal effectively with the public and other professionals.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external customers.
- Ability to enforce codes and ordinances impartially, tactfully and firmly.
- Ability to organize work, establish priorities, meet established deadlines, and follow up on assignments with minimal direction.
Physical requirements include lifting up to 50 pounds frequently and the ability to navigate multistory stairways at construction sites. Subject to vision constantly; standing, sitting, walking, lifting, carrying, handling, fine dexterity, hearing and talking; pushing/pulling, reaching, kneeling, crouching, crawling, bending, twisting, climbing, balancing and foot controls occasionally.
Working conditions involve work inside/outside during all types weather; in extreme temperatures, in attics; during mechanical inspections, mechanical room temperature can be below 0 degrees in freezer unit or above 100 degrees in unconditioned space; potential for exposure to hazards such as paint and solvent sprays, asbestos, carbon monoxide, freon, dust, fiberglass, paint, methane gas; scaffolding; electrical hazards from high voltage and energized wire; high noise level around heavy equipment, compressors, mechanical rooms and saws; eye hazards around welding. Safety Sensitive Position.
Closing Date/Time: 7/9/2019 11:59 PM Central