THE POSITION Please note:
Employment dates for this position are from May to August, possibly September. Although this recruitment has multiple-cutoffs, only one application needs to be submitted. If duplicate applications are submitted, only one application will be accepted.NON-CAREER PART-TIME/SEASONALPlease Note: Room and Board included.DEFINITION:
Under direction, responsible for the efficient operation of the dining hall, kitchen, and food preparation at Camp Sacramento; maintain quality control of all meals, food inventory, recordkeeping, food service equipment, and supplies; and, supervise all food services staff.DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS
Employees in this classification are non-career. Incumbents can work up to 1040 hours per year. The First Cook oversees a food service operation and provides training to subordinate staff. The First Cook is distinguished from the lower level class of Assistant Cook in that the First Cook class is assigned more complex responsibilities and supervises assigned staff.SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
General supervision is provided by the Camp Manager. Responsibilities include the indirect
supervision of the Assistant Cook and other lower level personnel.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all the listed duties and/or may be required to perform related duties as needed.
- Supervise, schedule, and coordinate the work of food service staff in preparing and serving main dishes, meats, salads, desserts, and baked goods using ovens, stoves, and other kitchen equipment with minimal waste.
- Perform a variety of tasks to prepare food to be cooked and served, including cleaning, chopping, weighing, and measuring ingredients.
- Ensure the dining room, food preparation areas, and equipment used in preparing food are kept in clean, sanitary, and in proper working condition.
- Maintain high standards of sanitation and safety in the preparation and serving of food.
- Sanitize food preparation equipment and food preparation areas.
- Order and maintain inventory of food and supplies.
- Create meal menus with Camp Manager.
- Participate in all Camp Sacramento cleanup.
- Follow staff policies and procedures.
- Perform related duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS Knowledge of:
- Principles and practices of supervision and training.
- Operation of commercial cooking equipment.
- Principles, procedures, and equipment used in the storage, care, preparation, cooking, and dispensing of food in large quantity.
- Kitchen sanitation and safety measures used in the operation, cleaning, and care of utensils, equipment, and work areas.
- Proper food handling techniques.
- Principles of menu planning and modifications for special diets.
- Operation of commercial cooking equipment.
- Supervise, plan, coordinate, assign, and review the work of staff.
- Train staff in proper methods of food handling, food preparation, and cooking techniques.
- Follow and/or adjust formulas and recipes for food preparation in large quantities.
- Plan and carry out the work of a given menu.
- Order food and supplies in the correct quantity to meet menu requirements.
- Prepare quantities of food required with minimal waste.
- Maintain personal hygiene.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Perform physical work.
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Read, write, and speak English at a level necessary for satisfactory job performance.
Six (6) months experience preparing food in a cafeteria or restaurant.OR
Completion of a certificate from an accredited food management or culinary school.License or Certificate:
Possession of a valid California Class C Driver License and Servsafe certification are desirable.SPECIAL QUALIFICATIONSAge:
Must be at least 18 years old by time of appointment.Assessments:
Must successfully pass physical and criminal background check.Training:
Successful candidates must participate in a mandatory staff training that is typically conducted in late May or early June of each year.Transportation:
Successful candidates must provide their own transportation to the Camp Sacramento site.PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The conditions herein are typically required of an incumbent to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.Physical Requirements
Work duties require the ability to exert physical effort, typically involving walking, bending, stooping, and standing for extended periods of time on hard surfaces; and, lifting and carrying materials and objects weighing 30 to 50 pounds. Employees must be able to work outside in various types of weather, terrains, and elevations.Working Conditions
Camp Sacramento is situated in the Eldorado National Forest located in Twin Bridges, California. Employees are required to reside at Camp Sacramento May to August, with the possibility to extend through September. Employees in this position are required to work weekend and night shifts and are exposed to cold weather conditions.
THE SELECTION PROCEDURE Please note, the City of Sacramento's preferred method of communication with applicants is via e-mail. As such, please ensure you verify the e-mail address on your application, and check your e-mail frequently, including your spam and junk folders. All e-mail notifications can also be accessed through the governmentjobs.com applicant inbox.1. Application:
(Pass/Fail) - All applicants must complete and submitonline
a City of Sacramento employment application by the final filing deadline (Open/Continuous
- Employment applications must be submitted online; paper applications will not be accepted.
- Employment applications will be considered incomplete and will be disqualified:
- If applicants do not list current and past job-related experience in the "Work Experience" section.Note: Qualifying experience is based on 40 hours per week (pro-rated if less than 40 hours/week).
- If "see resume" is noted in the "Work Experience" section; a resume will not substitute for the information required in the "Work Experience" section.
Supplemental documents such as resume, cover letter, and proof of education are highly preferred and recommended at the time of application submission. Documents should be submitted to the City of Sacramento Employment Office in person, as attachment(s) via online with the employment application, emailed to email@example.com, FAX to (196) 596-1556, or by mail. If submitting in person, by mail or via FAX, please include your name andRecruitment #009024-19-YPCE-2
on your documents.2. Supplemental Questionnaire:
(Pass/Fail) - In addition to the City of Sacramento employment application, all applicants must complete and submit online responses to the supplemental questionnaire to the City of Sacramento Employment Office by the final filing deadline;
- Responses to the supplemental questionnaire must be submitted online; paper questionnaire will not be accepted.
- Incomplete supplemental questionnaire will not pass the review process; omitted information cannot be considered or assumed.
- A resume will not substitute for the information required in the supplemental questionnaire .
: (Pass/Fail)- Human Resources will forward employment applications of individuals who submitted all the required documents (i.e. City of Sacramento Application and Supplemental Questionnaire) to the hiring department.4. Proof of Certification:
Proof of completion of a certificate from an accredited food management or culinary school must be submitted to the City of Sacramento Employment Office in person, e-mailed firstname.lastname@example.org
, as attachment(s) via online with employment application, or via FAX to (916) 596-1556, or by mail before you will be considered for any positions. If submitting in person or via FAX, please include your name andRecruitment #009024-19-YPCE-2
on your documents.5. Hiring Interview:
Those candidates determined to be the MOST QUALIFIED will be invited to participate in an interview process coordinated by the hiring department. There will be no eligible list established, as positions will be seasonal and/or part-time. A hiring interview is not guaranteed.6. Conditional Hire:
Upon receipt of a conditional offer or hire, the candidates will go through the process of certification, finger print/background clearance andmedical clearance.QUESTIONS:
For questions concerning this job announcement and the application process: