THE POSITION Please note:
Employment dates for this position are from May to August, possibly September.Although this recruitment has multiple-cutoffs, only one application needs to be submitted. If duplicate applications are submitted, only one application will be accepted.NON-CAREER PART-TIME/SEASONALDEFINITION
Under general direction, responsible for the administration of a camp program including planning, developing, coordinating, supervising and participating in a wide variety of group activities; and, training and supervising subordinate staff.DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS
Employees in this classification are non-career. Incumbents can work up to 1040 hours per year. This position is distinguished from the Camp Sacramento Supervisor in that the former is responsible for the overall management of Camp Sacramento; whereas, the Camp Program Director is responsible for the administration of camp group activities.SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
General supervision is provided by the Camp Sacramento Supervisor. The Camp Program Director supervises lower level personnel.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all the listed duties and/or may be required to perform related duties as needed.
- Plan, organize, develop, and direct social, recreational, and outdoor adventure programs.
- Evaluate and make recommendations to the Camp Sacramento Supervisor regarding the overall program.
- Supervise, plan, direct, and evaluate staff.
- Schedule work assignments and train staff.
- Inventory and obtain all equipment, supplies, and materials needed for programs and events.
- Keep accurate records and prepare reports and accident/incident forms.
- Operate a variety of office equipment, such as a copy machine, telephone, computer, and computer software.
- Greet and interact positively with camp participants.
- Understand, follow, and enforce all camp policies and procedures.
- Perform related duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS Knowledge of:
- Principles and practices of planning and implementing recreational programs.
- Principles of group dynamics and group interaction.
- Principles and practices of leadership and group organization.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, and program participants.
- Supervise, assign, train, direct, and evaluate subordinate staff.
- Plan, organize, and oversee recreation activities for varying ages, groups, and sizes.
- Communicate clearly both orally and in writing.
- Communicate professionally with other staff, and camp participants.
- Operate standard office equipment and computer software.
- Interpret, explain, follow, and apply camp policies and procedures.
- Collect and compile information.
- Read, write, and speak the English language at a level necessary for efficient job performance.
Six (6) months experience leading and supervising a variety of recreation programs for all age groups in a recreational or camp setting.SPECIAL QUALIFICATIONSAge:
Must be at least 18 years old by time of appointment.Assessments:
Must successfully pass physical and criminal background check.Driver License:
Possession of a valid California Class C Driver License at the time of appointment. Loss of the Class C License is cause for discipline. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to physical disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.Training:
Successful candidates must participate in a mandatory staff training that is typically conducted in late May or early June of each year.Transportation:
Successful candidates must provide their own transportation to the Camp Sacramento site.PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The conditions herein are typically required of an incumbent to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.Physical Requirements
Work duties require the ability to exert physical effort, typically involving walking, bending, stooping, and standing for extended periods of time on hard surfaces; and, lifting and carrying materials and objects weighing 30 to 50 pounds. Employees must be able to work outside in various types of weather, terrains, and elevations.Working Conditions
Camp Sacramento is situated in the Eldorado National Forest located in Twin Bridges, California. Employees are required to reside at Camp Sacramento May to August, with the possibility to extend through September. Employees in this position are required to work weekend and night shifts and are exposed to cold weather conditions.
THE SELECTION PROCEDURE Please note, the City of Sacramento's preferred method of communication with applicants is via e-mail. As such, please ensure you verify the e-mail address on your application, and check your e-mail frequently, including your spam and junk folders. All e-mail notifications can also be accessed through the governmentjobs.com applicant inbox.1. Application:
(Pass/Fail) - All applicants must complete and submitonline
a City of Sacramento employment application by the final filing deadline (Open/Continuous
- Employment applications must be submitted online; paper applications will not be accepted.
- Employment applications will be considered incomplete and will be disqualified:
- If applicants do not list current and past job-related experience in the "Work Experience" section.Note: Qualifying experience is based on 40 hours per week (pro-rated if less than 40 hours/week).
- If "see resume" is noted in the "Work Experience" section; a resume will not substitute for the information required in the "Work Experience" section.
Supplemental documents such as resume, cover letter, and proof of education are highly preferred and recommended at the time of application submission. Documents should be submitted to the City of Sacramento Employment Office in person, as attachment(s) via online with the employment application, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, FAX to (196) 596-1556, or by mail. If submitting in person, by mail or via FAX, please include your name andRecruitment #009048-19-YPCE-2
on your documents.2. Supplemental Questionnaire:
(Pass/Fail) - In addition to the City of Sacramento employment application, all applicants must complete and submit online responses to the supplemental questionnaire to the City of Sacramento Employment Office by the final filing deadline;
- Responses to the supplemental questionnaire must be submitted online; paper questionnaire will not be accepted.
- Incomplete supplemental questionnaire will not pass the review process; omitted information cannot be considered or assumed.
- A resume will not substitute for the information required in the supplemental questionnaire .
: (Pass/Fail)- Human Resources will forward employment applications of individuals who submitted all the required documents (i.e. City of Sacramento Application and Supplemental Questionnaire) to the hiring department.4. Hiring Interview:
Those candidates determined to be the MOST QUALIFIED will be invited to participate in an interview process coordinated by the hiring department. There will be no eligible list established, as positions will be seasonal and/or part-time. A hiring interview is not guaranteed.5. Conditional Hire:
Upon receipt of a conditional offer or hire, the candidates will go through the process of certification, finger print/background clearance andmedical clearance.QUESTIONS:
For questions concerning this job announcement and the application process: