Lifeguard Auditor (Temporary, Part-Time) Job Requisition Number
COA079630 Position Number
T93005 Job Type
Part-Time Division Name
Parks & Recreation Minimum Qualifications
TRAINING AND CERTIFICATIONS ARE OFFERED BY PARKS AND RECREATION . INFORMATION MAY BE OBTAINED DURING THE INTERVIEW .
Notes to Applicants
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must posses at least one season of Lifeguard experience and one season of Lifeguard Instructor experience.
- Must possess the following certifications: American Red Cross Lifeguard, CPR / AED for Lifeguards, First Aid, Water Park Lifeguard, Administering Emergency Oxygen, Waterfront Lifeguard, and Lifeguard Instructor.
- Valid Texas Class "C" Driver License.
This position will be hired to work in the Parks and Recreation Aquatic Division as a Lifeguard Auditor and will be responsible for auditing 650+ Lifeguards at least two times throughout the summer at public pools across the city. The auditor will also test lifeguards' scanning techniques, CPR and water rescue skills, and professionalism and other assigned duties as assigned.
- Tasks involve bending, lifting, walking, carrying or using a force equal to lifting up to fifty (50) pounds.
- Must have reliable transportation to get to and from work for your assigned work hours.
- Must be physically and mentally able to communicate, respond and work with participant's needs and safety issues; and tolerate loud noise associated with enthusiasm and excitement.
- Ability to adapt to a variety of conditions such as daily walking, climbing, standing, balancing, kneeling, stooping, running, bending, crawling, swimming, stretching and reaching; and frequently walk and sit when leading various recreational activities.
- Work outdoors in any and all types of weather and/or inclement conditions; and in confined spaces.
- Applicants must include on their Employment Application all experience (work and/or volunteer) related to this job posting - up to 10 years or more.
- Verification of employment history dates on resume should match online Employment Application - Statements such as "See Resume" will not be accepted.
- Employment history dates must include month and year.
- Resume will not be accepted in lieu of a complete online application.
Training and Certifications:
- Training for applicants will be offered by the City of Austin Parks & Recreation Department - Aquatic Division.
- Applicants must successfully pass the 40+ hour Lifeguard Training course to be considered for the Lifeguard position.
- Returning Lifeguard applicants (with current American Red Cross/First Aid/ CPR / AED certifications) will be required to take a review course in lieu of the 40+ hour class required for new lifeguards.
- All applicants must successfully pass the Parks and Recreation Department Lifeguard City Skills Test before hire.
IF HIRED BY THE CITY OF AUSTIN PARKS AND RECREATION - AQUATIC DIVISION , APPLICANTS MUST ADHERE TO AND PARTICIPATE IN THE FOLLOWING :
- Attend mandatory Aquatic Division Orientation.
- Attend mandatory paid in-service meetings.
- Report to work on time for assigned shift(s); and remain free from being under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol.
- Wear assigned Aquatics Division staff uniform only while on duty.
- Be able to work weekdays, weekends and holidays; and willing to substitute for others.
- Perform general cleaning and maintenance duties during assigned shift(s).
- Work schedule and location is subject to change based on department needs and programs.
- If you are selected for this position, and meet the Driver Safety Standards in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program, you may drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations.
Military/Veteran Preference for Interview Process:
- An applicant claiming Military/Veteran status must provide a copy of his or her DD-214(s), or valid comparable document, at the time of interview.
$18.00 per hour. Hours
Days and Hours
- Work shifts will vary, up to 40 hours per week.
- Evenings, Weekends, & Holidays may be required.
Work/Location Schedule Notes:
Work schedule and location is subject to change based on department needs and programs. Job Close Date
07/31/2019 Type of Posting
Parks & Recreation Regular/Temporary
Temporary (No benefits) Grant Funded or Pooled Position
Not Applicable Category
Various City Neighborhood and Municipal Pools. Preferred Qualifications Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities:
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Responsible for auditing the 650+ Lifeguards at least two times throughout the summer season.
- Responsible for assessing lifeguards' scanning techniques, CPR , water rescue skills, and professionalism.
- Must be able to effectively communicate with both public and staff.Must possess strong organizational, communication, public relations, and strong leadership skills.
- Complete reports and forms and assist with maintaining records in accordance with PARD and COA policies.
- Regular attendance is essential for this position.
- Other assigned duties assigned.
Responsibilities - Supervisor and/or Leadership Exercised: none Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
Criminal Background Investigation
- Knowledge of safety practices and procedures.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in problem solving.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Knowledge of and ability to adhere to appropriate professional standards.
- Ability to maintain objectivity and implement appropriate standards of care in all scopes of work.
- Ability to complete assigned duties and functions in a timely and effective manner.
- Proficient at collecting information according to an established plan.
- Proficient at working with others to achieve a project goal or objective.
- Ability to analyze and evaluate facts; make sound, objective assessments and observations; and where appropriate, make constructive recommendations.
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation. EEO/ADA
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445. Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within
the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* Do you meet the following qualifications: at least 18 years of age, one season of Lifeguard experience, one season of Lifeguard Instructor experience, and possess the following certifications: American Red Cross Lifeguard, CPR/AED for Lifeguards, First Aid, Water Park Lifeguard, Administering Emergency Oxygen, Waterfront Lifeguard, and Lifeguard Instructor?
* This position requires traveling to multiple sites as part of the regular job duties. Will you be able to meet this requirement?
* Please describe your experience auditing/testing lifeguards' scanning techniques, CPR and water rescue skills.
(Open Ended Question)
* Do you have a valid Texas Class C Drivers License or have the ability to acquire one by the date of hire?
* If identified as the top candidate, do you agree to a criminal background investigation?
* The ideal candidate will possess strong organizational, communication, public relations, and leadership skills. Please describe your experience with each of these skills.
(Open Ended Question)
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Optional Documents Cover Letter Resume